NEWS

Affiliations question

• 17 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« on: <09-05-10/0153:41> »
Let's say I start the missions (something I've haven't had a chance to do yet - regretfully). My character comes into the game with no affiliations whatsoever. Now, he does one of the things that catches the eye of one of the Affiliations. When they come and offer me the affiliation, do they also offer me the prize (if it's listed)? Kind of like a signing bonus?

DWC

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-10/0158:58> »
Nope.  You aren't eligible for your first mystery box until the mission after you sell out.

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-10/0833:27> »
Yeah, you can pretty much "Stumble" into the affiliations, though it seems to get a bit more difficult to do that in later Missions.  Early on, a lot of times it's as simple as "Public acts of violence" or some such.  Later on, you start getting specific assignments from the corps, so unless you have an affiliation already, you'll miss out (One advantage to playing them in order! :))

Bull

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-10/1949:10> »
This seasons affiliations just seem off to me how they work but then again it is a corp run city so not really my idea of Shadowrun what with the whole selling out thing an all.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-10/1101:42> »
Corps have always had semi-regular Runners that they would keep tabs on and work with, going back to 1st edition even.  It was just less common to see that in places like Seattle.

It was an interesting idea, and a change of pace from the regular Shadowrun Style, which I think was cool.  I like stepping out and doing something a little bit different.  Plus it was a way to get cool rewards and to have personal "side missions" for various characters.  In theory, it added depth.  But, it also added complexity to the games, and that made things get a little wonky sometimes.

That's one reason we're dropping affiliations and switching to a vastly simplified Faction system (More on that soon, I hope!)

Bull

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #5 on: <09-06-10/1303:38> »
Corps have always had semi-regular Runners that they would keep tabs on and work with, going back to 1st edition even.  It was just less common to see that in places like Seattle.

It was an interesting idea, and a change of pace from the regular Shadowrun Style, which I think was cool.  I like stepping out and doing something a little bit different.  Plus it was a way to get cool rewards and to have personal "side missions" for various characters.  In theory, it added depth.  But, it also added complexity to the games, and that made things get a little wonky sometimes.

That's one reason we're dropping affiliations and switching to a vastly simplified Faction system (More on that soon, I hope!)

Bull
I like the sound of that!

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #6 on: <09-06-10/1749:40> »
Factions were always good the Denver style worked pretty well
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Da_Prince

• Newb
  • I love Meat & Potatos!
« Reply #7 on: <09-07-10/0517:45> »

Bull

Oh, we just started playing the NYC Missions and I like the idea of affiliations very much, also I think I have to simplify the communication with the specific factions due to very long one-character scenes if played out.

Will you change the Missions to this new Faction system, or do you plan to integrate that in the standard rules??
Just ask, because of planning new runs...

Prince

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #8 on: <09-08-10/0424:14> »

Bull
I like the sound of that!
Seconded.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <09-11-10/2055:13> »
Prince if you are making a home grown campaign you could easily add your own affiliations to it and get that spice into your own campaign. I think the politics and situation in NYC works very well with this

"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

Walks Through Walls

• Ace Runner
« Reply #10 on: <09-11-10/2056:23> »
Bull will the new factions system have a rewards if you do what the group wants or is this up in the air or can you not comment on it at this time
"Walking through walls isn't tough..... if you know where the doors are."
"It's not being seen that is the trick."

Walks Through Walls

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #11 on: <09-13-10/0358:16> »
Oh, and one thing to add, if there are rewards like the affiliations thing please make them cut and dry. Meaning, please have it all clearly laid out as to if they do this they get this. Some of the GM's I've run with were unclear on what had to happen and what we got.

Also, On a personal note, Please bring back "The Network" contact for us to use. Now that it's in a published book and everyone can just choose it as a contact it would be nice to have again. It was always fun for me when I had to do a favor and it was just some off the wall craziness the GM threw out.
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Da_Prince

• Newb
  • I love Meat & Potatos!
« Reply #12 on: <09-14-10/0634:14> »
Prince if you are making a home grown campaign you could easily add your own affiliations to it and get that spice into your own campaign. I think the politics and situation in NYC works very well with this

Yo, that's right! Just wonder if my players should get used to the existing system with a new one coming up?

Da_Prince

• Newb
  • I love Meat & Potatos!
« Reply #13 on: <09-14-10/0643:14> »
Oh, and one thing to add, if there are rewards like the affiliations thing please make them cut and dry. Meaning, please have it all clearly laid out as to if they do this they get this. Some of the GM's I've run with were unclear on what had to happen and what we got.

LLoyd: As per Mission rules the GM should NOT tell the runner the reward. What bothers me more, is that if I give an affiliated runner the faction target at the beginning of the run, there is some spoiler on what will happen!!
For example the target is to help an NPC escape unharmed during the mission. That means the player (or her PC) knows the story will lead to that specific NPC. So the PC starts legworking on that NPC. also she should not know that this NPC is crucial for the mission.
In this case I would give an unclear job to the PC (more a general rule), telling her that if she meets any one of a specific faction that one should escape unharmed during this mission.

Wasabi

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <09-14-10/0719:47> »
I believe DarkLloyd is referring to the module itself saying exactly what is to be awarded upon successful completion of the side job. I myself have challenged GM's that I didnt think material rewards were granted at the same time as new affiliations.

As far asunclear job assignments go, the hooks delivered for affiliation side jobs have been pretty clear to me so I assume they are designed cutand dry. [EG: "Get us pics of people stealing the Maltese Falcon"]
Missions Characters:
[SR4] Jax - Merc Technomancer
[SR5] Reece - Journalist TM