NEWS

A beef with some missions: Amount of Pay

• 85 Replies

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« on: <09-07-10/1408:58> »
I have been running missions for 4-5 years now, and I just ran 5 games at Dragon*Con here in Atlanta, GA. One of the things that bothered me is that some of the missions will pay out X * (TR) per person (explicitly), and others simply pay X *(TR) total. No difference in the amount if you are running a table of 4 or a table of eight. Should the pay always be scaled per person? Should I go ahead and run it that way even if the module does not say 'per person'?
SpeechThoughtMatrix/E-mail/TextingAstralSub-vocal

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #1 on: <09-07-10/1416:12> »
Hrmm.  Good catch there.

Unless pay specifically says that it's a lump sum for the entire group, you should always assume that it's "per runner".

I'll try and make sure future missions are a bit clearer about this.

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <09-07-10/1418:09> »
Also, on a personal note, I'd like to say "thanks" for running some Missions at D*C.    I'm very appreciative of all the hard work our GMs do at conventions and at Open Play games at Firebases.  :)

How did the convention go?  I assume you were one of Kai's GMs?

Bull

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #3 on: <09-07-10/1440:00> »
You are quite welcome. I enjoy running Shadowrun at D*C. I learn a lot. Plus, I get my badge for free for running enough games.

Shadowrun was, yet again, the first system to sell out all of the games at D*C. It helps that we have a large, dedicated group that comes in and plays together every year. We are the only game group at Dragon*Con that gets its own separate, special room at Dragon*Con.

Everyone was busy. I would say that the average table size over about 30 games was 7 runners. We could always use more GMs down here. :)

Unfortunately, there is not a place that I know of that would serve as a firebase close to my house - all of the gaming stores that I know of are an hour from me - so I can't run too many Open Games. ::sigh::

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #4 on: <09-07-10/1736:05> »
Now if I could just get some of the gamers and GM's to come to Megacon and help pump up the Shadowrun presents here.

An I just heard from my friends that were there SO Bull get ready there are questions comeing ...... ;D
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #5 on: <09-07-10/2229:34> »
I have been running missions for 4-5 years now, and I just ran 5 games at Dragon*Con here in Atlanta, GA. One of the things that bothered me is that some of the missions will pay out X * (TR) per person (explicitly), and others simply pay X *(TR) total. No difference in the amount if you are running a table of 4 or a table of eight. Should the pay always be scaled per person? Should I go ahead and run it that way even if the module does not say 'per person'?

I usually scale the pay depending on how many runners are in the run.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #6 on: <09-08-10/0353:25> »

I usually scale the pay depending on how many runners are in the run.
Just thought I'd chime in here. Even thought it would be a detrement to me as a player, I've Always liked the idea the the johnson just has "This" much cash for a job. No matter if one guy does the job for all the pay or you round up a gang of fifty and get bus fare. The one guy will have to work his hoop of for every cent of that cash and prolly come close to being dead, but the gang of fifty will roll the job in a half hour....
I just look at it as a juggleing game Safety or money, which do you want?
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

Bull

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <09-08-10/0402:04> »
Lloyd:  I often run like that for my home games.  For Missions though, you have no contriol over how many players will end up at a table.  We write for 6, and I know at some conventions, GMs are willing to fit in as many as 8 (We have crazy amounts of people showing up for SR events :)), but on some occasions you end up stuck with 3 or 4.  It's the luck of the draw.  So you can't really write and run Missions like that, because it's not the players choice, most of the time.

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #8 on: <09-08-10/0432:09> »
Lloyd:  I often run like that for my home games.  For Missions though, you have no contriol over how many players will end up at a table.  We write for 6, and I know at some conventions, GMs are willing to fit in as many as 8 (We have crazy amounts of people showing up for SR events :)), but on some occasions you end up stuck with 3 or 4.  It's the luck of the draw.  So you can't really write and run Missions like that, because it's not the players choice, most of the time.
Actually, I Have noticed it run like that. We are one of those bigger groups and, not very often mind you, we have hit a run or so that we each got less from the norm because of the size of our group. I actually think those times have more to do with confusion on the GM's part, but we usually make up for it in looting. We're like Kinder, the whole lot of us.  ;)
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #9 on: <09-08-10/0659:23> »
I actually think those times have more to do with confusion on the GM's part, but we usually make up for it in looting. We're like Kinder, the whole lot of us.  ;)

If you are with the group I think you are with, then the average kinder would look upon you with awe and wonder, as if you were a pantheon. You guys put the larcen in larceny.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-10/1637:49> »
Just thought I'd chime in here. Even thought it would be a detrement to me as a player, I've Always liked the idea the the johnson just has "This" much cash for a job. No matter if one guy does the job for all the pay or you round up a gang of fifty and get bus fare. The one guy will have to work his hoop of for every cent of that cash and prolly come close to being dead, but the gang of fifty will roll the job in a half hour....
I just look at it as a juggleing game Safety or money, which do you want?
That's how I tend to run it in games I GM, too (and like you said, it's what makes sense from Mr. Jay's point of view)...but for something like Missions, you've got to try and be a little more fair about it, or "above the board," or whatever.  A flat "per person" method of payment is probably the best way to handle it, in an official shared universe thing, being run at cons, etc, etc.

Halabis

• Newb
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-10/1644:18> »
Yeah, I know for a fact that in at least two missions we got paid "by the group" when we should have been paid " by the person" Ah well, it happens.

The Masked Ferret

• Chummer
  • CDT Special Agent
« Reply #12 on: <09-08-10/1646:31> »
Possibly by me, if you were at Dragon*con

Faradon

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <09-08-10/2128:21> »
Just out of curiosity... since we're on the subject of missions and pay, doesn't the overall pay seem a little low?  I know some "rewards" are meant to make up for it if you sell your soul to a corp, but what good is access to a delta clinic if you can't afford the delta gear to be put in to you?

Casazil

• Omae
  • There can be only one!
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-10/0055:40> »
Honestly I think pay and karma are pretty good my character has amassed like half a million ........ok he's an adept he don't buy jack lol.

but hey there is money to be had.
"If at first you don't succeed blame someone else"
Joel "Casazil" Rogers
Catalyst Demo Team Shadowrun Special Agent #251
http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/CasazilsShadowrun/