« on: <09-07-18/0026:49> »
Quote from: Kill Code 32
Direct Connections
. . . Some hosts exist offline . . .

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #1 on: <09-07-18/1003:11> »
What is the question? Stand-alone systems have existed forever.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

PingGuy

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-07-18/1020:28> »
There was a discussion I read around here somewhere about whether or not you could hack something when it wasn't connected to the Matrix.  If a host can function offline, then provided one has physical access, hacking it should be possible also.  Although I think the thread came down in that direction anyway, with the relevant illegal actions being reported to the grid if the host/device connects to it again.

Finstersang

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-07-18/1059:35> »
I´ve seen some rumors floating around that there´s a general errata on the way for what I like to call "Isolated Systems". These would not only include offline Hosts, but also local "Mini-Matrixes", which may be formed by a hacker and a directly connected device or a bunch of wirelessly communicating devices inside the same Faraday Cage environment.

Some earlier attempts to clarifiy things infamously denied that these kind of networks are possible at all, insisting on a very literal interpretation of the "Matrix Actions are only possible inside the Matrix" rule. However, the freelancers seem to have realized that this is pretty hard to believe. Kill Code´s mentioning of offline hosts and the wording in some fluff text now imply (Because plainly stating it in cold print apparently wasn´t an option here  ::)) that "Matrix" can refer to the big, official Matrix as well as to isolated networks formed by Devices that are in compliance with the new Matrix Protocolls.

The  remaining question was how OS is handled - and the description of Offline Hosts in Kill Code now heavily imply that you don´t accumulate OS in other isolated Systems as well. An all-wired sercurity Architecture may be harder to access physically, but at the cost of having a harder time to kick you out once you managed to break in.

« Last Edit: <09-07-18/1101:45> by Finstersang »

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #4 on: <09-07-18/1109:16> »
There is an entire crunch section in Kill Code dedicated to the different kind of hosts that exist, some of them being connected, some not.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #5 on: <09-07-18/1221:12> »
Kill Code´s mentioning of offline hosts and the wording in some fluff text now imply (Because plainly stating it in cold print apparently wasn´t an option here  ::)) that "Matrix" can refer to the big, official Matrix as well as to isolated networks formed by Devices that are in compliance with the new Matrix Protocolls.

To what fluff are you referring to?

My read through of the Matrix 101 section of Kill Code made it pretty clear that the Matrix was more Highlander (there can be only one) and less Lord of the Rings (one Matrix to rule them all).  I saw nothing that supported the "mini-Matrixes" concept.

Combine that with a reiteration of the rule "Matrix actions are only available in the Matrix," (Kill Code, page 34, Matrix Actions sidebar) and the intent (perhaps unintentionally) is that there is only one Matrix, and if a hacker isn't connected to that, they can't hack.

Right now, mini-Matrixes appears to be firmly in the House Rules category.

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #6 on: <09-07-18/1420:50> »
Kill Code´s mentioning of offline hosts and the wording in some fluff text now imply (Because plainly stating it in cold print apparently wasn´t an option here  ::)) that "Matrix" can refer to the big, official Matrix as well as to isolated networks formed by Devices that are in compliance with the new Matrix Protocolls.

To what fluff are you referring to?

My read through of the Matrix 101 section of Kill Code made it pretty clear that the Matrix was more Highlander (there can be only one) and less Lord of the Rings (one Matrix to rule them all).  I saw nothing that supported the "mini-Matrixes" concept.

Combine that with a reiteration of the rule "Matrix actions are only available in the Matrix," (Kill Code, page 34, Matrix Actions sidebar) and the intent (perhaps unintentionally) is that there is only one Matrix, and if a hacker isn't connected to that, they can't hack.

Right now, mini-Matrixes appears to be firmly in the House Rules category.

You'll want to check out the Jammers and GOD thread, particularly this post

Granted that's the voice of the SRM Developer, but it's the word from the errata team (not just for SRM).
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-07-18/1440:12> »
Should an Errata that completely contradicts everything about the Matirx in Shadowrun 5e ever come out before we are firmly in Shadowrun 6e, I would relish it.

I hate the idea that people can't even Edit File on their own device without a connection to the Matrix.

I'm not holding my breath, as I don't expect anything official for four or more years.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #8 on: <09-07-18/1513:22> »
Let baseline logic overwhelm slavish devotion to a hint of a suggestion.  'Matrix actions are only available in the Matrix' is like 'Astral actions are only available in the Astral' -- clearly meant more as a 'you can only do this if you're in this section of the universe', meaning 'you can't perform a Matrix action if you're in Astral space or exclusively the meat world, i.e. you can't do it if you're not jacked in', NOT as 'if it's not part of the worldwide network you can't do it'.

Because some people need it spelled out in the rules not only that you can't go scuba diving in a quarter-inch puddle, but that water is wet.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Iron Serpent Prince

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <09-07-18/1603:21> »
i.e. you can't do it if you're not jacked in', NOT as 'if it's not part of the worldwide network you can't do it'.

There are several problems here.
  • First, to continue your Astral analogy, there is no "sub-Astral," or "mini-Astral" pockets.  That would support the idea that there is only One Matrix, and if a hacker isn't connected to it, they can't hack.
  • Second, there is no distinction in Shadowrun 5e (that I have found) that there is any differentiation between being "jacked-in," and "on the Matrix."  They are synonymous.
  • Finally, the 5e product spectrum is full of references to the Matrix as a singular entity.  The worldwide telecommunications network is the one, true Matrix.  There are no others.

So, there isn't anything in 5e that supports anything less than Matrix Actions can only be performed when connected to the telecommunications grid, the Matrix.

Anything else, is trying to push previous editions into 5e.  No matter how much better it may make 5e, it isn't fitting to require everyone to possess those previous editions to get the "correct" interpretation of what the Matrix is in 5e.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #10 on: <09-08-18/0148:05> »
i.e. you can't do it if you're not jacked in', NOT as 'if it's not part of the worldwide network you can't do it'.

• First, to continue your Astral analogy, there is no "sub-Astral," or "mini-Astral" pockets.  That would support the idea that there is only One Matrix, and if a hacker isn't connected to it, they can't hack.

Actually yes there is> They are called Meta-planes, and they are almost limitless. Beyond the elemental planes that everyone knows, there is also the insect plane (where insect spirits come from) and the negative plane(?) that the Shedim inhabit.
[/list]
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <09-08-18/0354:36> »
Now, here's the thing: either you agree or you don't.

Honestly, I can't persuade you (even though I'll try), but you either blink, look at the way computers work today, and realize that 'hey, you can isolate a computer system!', or else you can decide that somewhere in 2065-2070 computers simply started working entirely different than the way we know them to work today -- that they're no longer bound by computer logic and code, but instead ruled by rules of connectivity that state that in order for a computer system / host to work like a computer system / host, they must be connected to the Source.

Simply put, that flat out ain't how it is, but look, at your game, you can run it however you want.  Me, I'm sticking to simple obvious logic.

Mostly only because you're imagining them, but let's keep going.

Nor are there 'sub-reality' or 'mini-reality' pockets, unless you consider different continents, islands, planets, whatever.  It's a general analogy, not a specific one, meant to draw your attention not to 'the differences in each', but to states of being and perception.  Being a pedant got you into this; being a pedant is what's gonna keep you there.  Try not to be a pedant.

• Second, there is no distinction in Shadowrun 5e (that I have found) that there is any differentiation between being "jacked-in," and "on the Matrix."  They are synonymous.

Because in general there doesn't need to be; most networks/hosts need to be accessed from other physical locations in the world, which means via the Matrix, and so they are considered 'on the Matrix', no matter the barriers and such.

On the other hand, there are definite difference to being 'jacked in' (aka 'being in virtual reality' (VR)) and 'being in augmented reality' (AR).  Are you trying to argue that being 'only' in AR is not being on the Matrix?  Because there's a whole storm right around the corner for ya if that's what you're gonna argue, and I ain't the one what's gonna be bringing it.

• Finally, the 5e product spectrum is full of references to the Matrix as a singular entity.  The worldwide telecommunications network is the one, true Matrix.  There are no others.

Sure.  And we speak of the Internet in exactly the same way, even though there are clearly hosts and networks that are not connected to it.

So, there isn't anything in 5e that supports anything less than Matrix Actions can only be performed when connected to the telecommunications grid, the Matrix.

Anything else, is trying to push previous editions into 5e.  No matter how much better it may make 5e, it isn't fitting to require everyone to possess those previous editions to get the "correct" interpretation of what the Matrix is in 5e.

No, sorry; what this boils down to is an insistence on taking a casual turn of phrase and turning it into a Must Exist This Way hill to die upon.  This isn't me, or anyone else, pushing previous editions into 5e, any more that previous editions continued to parallel the at-the-time understanding of computers; this is viewing it with pretty much the simplest understanding of computer network architecture, past and present.  'If you don't set it up to connect, it don't connect.  And if its default is to connect, you can probably turn that off.'  Never mind that pretty much every technological object in SR5 is set up to connect to the Matrix; you can still turn that part off.

Every computer except for throwbacks carries the result of the Silicon Glen Matrix 2.0 meeting, because those are the protocols that were decided and agreed upon by literally every major computer manufacture and coding company in existence at the time.  Are there people who code 'other stuff'?  Yeah, probably, but if you don't write your code to be able to handshake with the big boys, you ain't goin' nowhere.  Which means that pretty much all code is going to be written to work on the Matrix even if the system it's on isn't connected, because unless the people who run the site are incredibly paranoid and have thrown a few hundred thousand dollars into having their geeks writing a totally custom OS whose code not only doesn't handshake with the Matrix but cannot run on the vast majority of the rest of their own machines, then they are running code that complies with UMS 2.1 standards.

Period.

And that means that the code the decker's slinging is gonna work on that 'offline host', that those seperated computers are going to form their own 'mini-Matrix' (which when you get down to it really is just 'any computer running UMS 2.1'), and that thus you can use Matrix actions when you're 'on the Matrix'.  Not because it's part of the global Matrix, but because you're connected to a computer that shares a baseline standard of functionality and interactivity.  Which is what aaaaall those computers that make up 'the Matrix' share.

You can't use a Matrix action on a spirit; you can't use a Matrix action on a tree, or the bear climbing down that tree to rip your head off.  You can't use a Matrix action on back-to-nature granola-munching elves who hug those trees and detest your technology-using ways; you can't use Matrix actions on these things because these things have no computer functionality, and you can't be connected electronically to them.

Like I said, I really can't persuade you, and god knows if this doesn't do it, you won't be.  But please keep it in your home game.
« Last Edit: <09-08-18/0358:20> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Ech0

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <09-09-18/0416:13> »
I've found out that in order to enjoy Shadowrun 5's Matrix and the 5th Edition in general, it is best to always think from the perspective of the freelancer who wrote a certain chapter and consider how they would have liked that rule/fluff piece to work.

It does not matter how it would "make sense" in the grand scheme of things or how "it has always been", but how this particular part of the system or rule is supposed to work in this instance.

So... RAI, in essence. In case of your (being based in Europe) organized play - that certainly is a problem. But... well. Just wing it. That's how the writers do it, too. ^^

I have accepted that the matrix is not running on a Sci/fi equivalent of our tech. The foundation ( ;D , hah!) of the new matrix is pretty much magic, that how I play it. And it kinda helps to play it analogue to the astral space.

In case of offline hosts (or a Rigger jacking in to an offline vehicle) - well, now you can. Because that is how it is, now. You want to "Edit Files" on an offline CommLink? Well, sure you can, why shouldn't you? Because it's in the rules (and CommLinks and Decks apparently run on cloud systems, but also kinda don't)? Well, ignore that, you can.
You simply can, because the Matrix (and friendship) is magic.

We won't get consistent rules/a world any more, because that is not how the books are written (any more). Each book is pieced together from the collected works of dozens of authors that rarely (have the chance to) talk to each other - because they are spread all over the world/the US. And because there's no one who keeps them in check or communicates how his/her vision of Shadowrun (and it's rules) should work, each books adds to or contradicts previous works. Part of the freelancers of 5th Ed. would like SR to be more like an indie storyteller system, other parts would like to keep it pure - with hard, clean rules for everything. Those parts don't mix well. But that's how it is, now.

Listening to the various podcasts out there and hearing the thoughts and ideas of various freelancers, that's how they DM their games, as well. If you don't like something or find things too complicated with this ruleset, well, don't use it. Consequences, be damned.
« Last Edit: <09-09-18/0541:49> by Ech0 »

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #13 on: <09-09-18/1151:27> »
etc.

I would love to know what your source material for this is.  Might be on the boards (I don't scour them), might be some podcast, but I'd still prefer to read / hear it for myself.  Because the source (and facts) matter.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Ech0

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <09-09-18/1415:02> »
@Ouroboros - The quotation function ate the quote, so I'm not quite sure which part you'd like to have sources for :-) I'll try to give you places to look for every issue:

1. - Different rules by different writers
The rules are written by a team of freelancers; there's a writers list in the beginning of each book. :-)
A number of rules are written specifically with organized play in mind (the In debt quality comes to mind, where there are very "mechanical" disadvantages). Others are very vaguely phrased, giving the GM lots of wriggle room (the blank slate quality, valid aspects of a matrix perception...). The best example is the WiFi Bonus. It was here on the forum somewhere.

The writer originally intended it as a PAN bonus, it ended up as an online bonus. Or take the repair rules: We have... three different versions, now, I believe. The new Overdrive Power is another great example.

It's SUPPOSED to enable your rule-of-cool Technomancer to have a red-hot-glowing cyberarm to tear off the arms of a humanoid drone or push your wired reflexes to the brink - not enable him to have only rating 6 skills via a backdoor :D

2. - The Matrix is magic - That's in Kill Code fluff, and I don't wanna spoil it for players.

3. - Contradicting rules There are a few examples, here's the most recent: Matrix actions can only happen on the matrix. But offline hosts that pre-date the current Matrix exist as well. And it's great that they do, because they validate older adventures (the final host in Splintered State, f.e.). But it still causes confusion, if you read the rules as they are.

3. - Writers and play styles Sadly I don't keep close track of the podcast content, so I can't give a verbatum source.

Listen to a few of episodes of the Arcology Podcast or the old Critical Glitch Cast, when a writer, writers or the line developer are on as guests. They sometimes explain how a certain rule came to be and how they'd prefer to have SR be more like -this- or that style of play. Or that they hadn't read a certain book that features elements of what they have just also written about.

And I don't blame them! In fact, I like them putting their spin on things. And if they don't get (time and) access to all the book, one can't expect them to know every other rule there is.

And yet they too keep playing the game, like we all do!

Despite the glaring problems that would actually make it kinda tricky -> if you don't ignore them or make do in some way. It's not like they (or the line developer) have the secret, hidden knowledge about how certains aspects of Shadowrun are to be understood. They don't know either.  8)

Once in a while on here, you can read about writers not hearing any feedback on their work before a book is published (in the Kill Code Errata thread, for example), and that sucks. For them, and for us.

Or they are getting flak for how a certain rule is intended vs written - let's take the new hacking without marks action. OF COURSE the Edge Face with a Meta Link is not supposed to keep trying to fire the assault rifle of that guardsmen over there. Deckers are supposed to use that action to speed up the damn hacking for marks...

"Errors" like that happen, because they all have their own version of Shadowrun they are taking for granted. And because they don't talk to each other. ;-)

But it ends up in the rules this way.

And I don't mind, anymore. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy SR, very much so indeed! And I've decided that in order to do so, it's not worth to fuzz over RAI - because I don't believe there is one, or ever has been. Hence the birth of this thread or the hunderts of Errata entries on the forum. Because there are as many RAI as there are writers working on a specific new release.  :)
« Last Edit: <09-09-18/1714:08> by Ech0 »