NEWS

Shadows of Paris / Anarchy in french

• 17 Replies

belaran

• Omae
« on: <11-26-18/1434:53> »
Hi all,

just in case some of you are somehow fluent in french, I wanted to let you know that a new Shadowrun campaign called Shadows of Paris is currently on preorder, along with Anarchy:

https://www.gameontabletop.com/crowdfunding-157.html#project-block-details

The campaign will be double stats for Anarchy / SR5 but most importantly will update the settings France!

(and even if you don't speak french, I'm sure some of you just need to have it for their collection ;) )

The french translation of Anarchy may also be quite valuable as it has been enhanced with some extra material.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #1 on: <11-26-18/1507:28> »
For a moment I thought I knew what I was going to hint at for Christmas, then I checked the shipping costs :(

I really wish they had a pdf only version, because the shipping to here of Shadows of Paris is almost three times the cost of the book itself, or for the two books the shipping is almost equal to the base cost.  Even at the same price level, an option to say 'just send me the pdf, please' would work (a bit pricey, but not too crazy).

Well, hopefully after this is released the pdf will be available on drivethrurpg or somewhere.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <11-26-18/1803:27> »
Black Book Editions, the french editor, only sells pdf when the physical version is out. But in the end it will be available in pdf-only.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-27-18/0856:44> »
Black Book Editions, the french editor, only sells pdf when the physical version is out. But in the end it will be available in pdf-only.

Thanks, I'll wait until then :)

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-27-18/1052:53> »
Thanks for the heads up...I’ll be definitely looking at this when the PDF hits. It looks like this is more of a preorder system versus a crowdfunding, though I might not be translating correctly.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <11-27-18/1140:57> »
According to the french law, if the goal is reached a crowfunding is a preorder (same rules applies to the seller). So you can call it however you want, but the more money the more content.
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <11-27-18/1402:37> »

Thanks, I'll wait until then :)

And I'll make a note of letting you know on this forum when the PDF only are available :)

PMárk

• Chummer
« Reply #7 on: <11-28-18/1654:28> »
Can I say how frustrated I am about this?

I'm European, Hungarian in fact. I'd love, LOVE to read the German supplements from Pegasus (especially as it seems like to be the general consensus that they're quite good) and this new French one. They would be actually a lot more relevant to me and usable in actual games, than the regional stuff in most of the books from Catalyst. Not because those are bad, mind you, just because of obvious regional reasons.

However, I only know English (at this point) over my native language, so all those books are closed off to me. What should i sacrifice to who exactly, to convince Pegasus, or the French guys to make them available in English????? Or, Catalyst, to translate them? Even if only in pdf? Especially since there isn't a new Shadows of Europe on the horizon?

I just want to read SR stuff closer to home and how it progressed since SoE and it seriously bugs me that there is even stuff like that, just that I can't read it.
« Last Edit: <11-28-18/1656:19> by PMárk »
If nothing worked, let's think!

belaran

• Omae
« Reply #8 on: <12-01-18/1732:40> »
Can I say how frustrated I am about this?

I'm European, Hungarian in fact. I'd love, LOVE to read the German supplements from Pegasus (especially as it seems like to be the general consensus that they're quite good) and this new French one. They would be actually a lot more relevant to me and usable in actual games, than the regional stuff in most of the books from Catalyst. Not because those are bad, mind you, just because of obvious regional reasons.

However, I only know English (at this point) over my native language, so all those books are closed off to me. What should i sacrifice to who exactly, to convince Pegasus, or the French guys to make them available in English????? Or, Catalyst, to translate them? Even if only in pdf? Especially since there isn't a new Shadows of Europe on the horizon?

I just want to read SR stuff closer to home and how it progressed since SoE and it seriously bugs me that there is even stuff like that, just that I can't read it.

So let me say that I completely understand you and share your frustration. If now I speak German enough to be able to read the Shadowrun stuff that Pegasus Press is releasing (and they are releasing a lot of very good material), for a long time I could not. So I understand your frustration and sadly learning French or German just to read Shadowrun books is a bit of overkill :)

That being said, before I mastered German, I did grab a PDF from Pegasus and use good, old-fashioned copy and paste into google translate to get the most out of it. Being translating it into English and my native language (french) I was able to get most of the content. For the few things that were not clear, I ended up asking on this very forum and got some very nice reply from some other German speaker (or at least reader) player.

Pegasus Press released a couple of small books that are not too expensive as PDF. Maybe you should grab one and see if you get enough from it to make it worth it?

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #9 on: <12-01-18/1823:16> »
Just make sure to not trust any 4e->5e conversions they do, and don't blindly depend on their errata-attempts because they're not perfect either.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Marzhin

• Omae
  • I must confess, I was born at a very early age.
« Reply #10 on: <01-08-19/0648:21> »
Benjamin Giletti (the French artist who did the cover for Anarchy as well as a number of pieces for various SR books over the years) will fittingly do the new artwork for the Shadows of Paris sourcebook and this includes a bunch of French runners. Here's a small tease he shared on his Instagram. Breton ork for the win :)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.
(Groucho Marx)

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #11 on: <01-08-19/1523:07> »
I love the art in general, but the hat is simply perfect :)

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #12 on: <01-10-19/1736:42> »
Thank the gods I know people who can read and speak some french  8)
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #13 on: <12-06-19/1317:25> »
And they have added a campaign set in France, Néo-Revolution.  But nothing seems to be available as pure pdf yet?

Dalriada

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <12-16-19/1850:29> »
The sourcebook/campain Neo-Revolution is now available in pure pdf format on Black Book website.     
https://www.black-book-editions.fr/produit.php?id=6545

I just bought it so I can't tell how good it is, but it's looks quite fun.     
Pages 1-27 is the sourcebook. Not a lot of pages, but it's dense, they didn't waste any space.     
Pages 28-64 is the campain.