NEWS

Street Legends supplemental review

• 83 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #45 on: <01-31-12/0245:21> »
FastJack has experience.  That's something that Stats cannot convey, only Role Playing.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #46 on: <01-31-12/0313:33> »
Fastjack to me is very much an anomaly. Being a pure mundane, hacker and no technomancer, even a human + Lucky + Aptitude + maxed Edge, I don't understand how he can keep up with TMs with umpteen Immersion grades. It just doesn't add up.
FastJack has experience.  That's something that Stats cannot convey, only Role Playing.

Experience.  A brain.  Information, not always -- or even usually -- his own.  Planning.

This last one is something that soooo many people really don't take into consideration.  You want to see FastJack in his bare bones?  Read the short with him and Perri, where it's Thor vs. Jormungand at Ragnarok; that's FastJack fighting the starting version of that thing, four or six or ten times in a row, until Perri manages to tell him that he needs to kill the egg before it'll be dead for good.

All the other things/times?  Jack follows the 5 P's -- Proper Planning Prevents Poor Performance.  He checks things out, he scouts out, he gathers intel.  He sits down, and analyzes, and makes contingencies, and plans as many possible steps out ahead of time.  "If this, then this; if that, then that."  Plenty of technomancers -- and I would venture to say 'most' -- do not do that sort of thing ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #47 on: <01-31-12/0326:54> »
In other words, FastJack is the Punk Batman.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #48 on: <01-31-12/0350:16> »
Honestly, no more so than any other runner who's managed to survive for 5+ years in the shadows and who is still running.  You learn to do your legwork, and you keep up with the various rumor-mills, and if something sounds like it might impact you, you do some preemptive research on it.  FastJack has just been doing it for so long that when you meet him, you can't help but remember that the 'runner who taught you used to talk in wonder about the stories the runner who taught him used to tell, about things FastJack pulled off 30 or 40 years ago ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

The Jake

• Newb
  • Coyote says "ORLY?"
« Reply #49 on: <01-31-12/0615:18> »
So in other words, you agree? After all you can't justify the presence of Harlequin on one and ignore Fastjack without sounding like a hypocrite.

Sorry if I sound like an arse on this one.

- J.
Frag you guys, I'm going home.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #50 on: <01-31-12/0916:27> »
Indeed, stats do not convey everything. If it was that easy, then we would simply compare statblocks, declare a winner, and move on.

Of course, you'll notice that, out of all the people profiled in 10 Jackpointers, Street Legends, and Street Legends Supplemental, only a few are actual hackers. Of those, Slamm-O!'s piece was done as a slam by Clockwork, Orbital DK was done by a megacorp, Smiling Bandit was done as an homage by Clockwork, Puck was an homage by Icarus that had very little info that hadn't already been shared in Emergence and Unwired, Rigger X was a slam piece by someone who was pissed at him, Bull did his own, Hannibelle's was fearmongering on Tamanous grounds, and Cerberus made sure his own profile was published. Fastjack isn't about to post his own bio, and even if someone's pissed enough to try and slam him, it isn't going to end up on Jackpoint. And he burned Horizon's info, literally. No, if a bio on Fastjack comes up, it will be done by Bull, Perri, or Captain Chaos's e-ghost.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #51 on: <01-31-12/1119:37> »
FastJack's bio will be the title, who wrote it, and <Deleted>.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #52 on: <01-31-12/1121:25> »
FastJack's bio will be the title, who wrote it <"the black hammer, it burns!">, and <Deleted>.  ;D
FIFY

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #53 on: <01-31-12/1122:43> »
Isn't that "JackHammer"?  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #55 on: <01-31-12/1451:02> »
Isn't that "JackHammer"?  ;D
Tempting fate again? ;)
Grabbing a stick and poking Fate in the damned eye!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #56 on: <02-16-12/1027:46> »
After reading SLS - which I loved as a whole - I have to plead for a profile of Clockwork (he's pissed off enough people that someone HAS to do it, maybe as a warning to him).  And if Clockwork gets done, then Netcat is also a must-happen.

Maybe FastJack (SR) could drop in an 'in memoriam' profile of Hatchetman . . . Argent also cries out for a 'remember him?' listing.  Aufheben has been active in Bogota of late, so maybe Picador or even Hard Exit could write up one for him(?).  Man-of-Many-Names got exposure in 10 Jackpointers, so maybe not him.  I know - Pyramid Watcher, the authority on all things Azzie.  I think someone voted for Icarus, so I'll second that - also a request for Arete (both enigmatic, though beginners compared to some).

Maybe update(s) on Spes and/or Aegis?

This is me, really reaching . . . hence 'Longshot' . . .

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #57 on: <02-16-12/1116:26> »
I know NetCat's stats are in Corporate Intrigue since she goes along with the runners to rescue Puck.

And, I have seen Argent's write-up at last year's GenCon. It was glorious. I wept tears of honeyed gold upon reading it and still feel a strong sense of peace in my soul.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #58 on: <02-16-12/1141:30> »
Hopefully I can see it this year.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <02-16-12/1153:21> »
<hoists a Frangelico to Argent>