NEWS

Chummer for 5th Edition

• 1235 Replies

Adam

« on: <07-03-14/0940:49> »
So here I go with my attempt to make my first post here be something special...

TLDR: I've been working on updating Chummer for 5th edition, it's gone through beta, it uses the same .NET 4.0 Framework as original Chummer, and here's the link: https://code.google.com/p/chummer5/

Longer Version: About a year ago, my roughly 15 year old gaming group decided we'd had enough of playtesting D&D Next and wanted to play something different.  Once we settled on Shadowrun the next question was 4th or 5th Edition. After discovering Chummer and realizing that 5th Edition at that time was only one book, well... we settled on 4th Edition pretty quick.

As we played though, we found a number of things that were cumbersome, or vague, or cumbersome and vague.  And for some of these issues we were finding that 5th Edition had some nice fixes... but no Chummer.  Every time we'd look at 5th, the lack of Chummer stopped us cold. But hey... I'm a programmer, I've worked in C# for close to 10 years and WinForms (in VB) for about as long... I could do it!

Fast forward a little over a month and I had my first alpha build for my gaming group.  Fast forward another month and we had my first beta ready build.  Two months after that and I've taken off the beta tag.

Now there's a few things you should know about this build:

First, it's been renamed Chummer5 and uses .chum5 files so that it won't step on original Chummer and you can associate .chum files with original Chummer and .chum5 with Chummer5. 

Skill limits are calculated and there's a new tab where you can track limit modifiers from qualities and gear and the like as well as manually add your own. As these are often conditional, they aren't added to the calculated limits automatically but are shown on the character sheet so you have them handy when it is appropriate to add them.

Build numbers for Chummer5 have changed from the original.  I started with 5.101 and have been incrementing upwards since my first alpha build.  As of this writing, the current build is 5.139.  You should always be able to find the current build at the link at the top of this post.

Lastly, I have a few very important things to say:

First, none of this would be possible if it weren't for Nebular and the work he did writing the original Chummer. He made it possible for our group (and I'm sure many more besides ours) to ease our way into Shadowrun and I cannot thank him enough. This update to Chummer was done with his kind permission.

Second, I want to thank my gaming group for all the hours they put in testing the alpha builds I put together. The list of bugs you're not seeing in this code is long and it's because of their work.  Thank you Marc, Randy, Arian, Stacy, Ed, and Jennifer.  You guys rock!

This code has remained open source under the same license Nebular gave it and the code for Chummer5 is in a new repository on Google Code (I kept it separate so it wouldn't step on the 4th Edition Chummer).  I've also set up srchummer5@gmail.com as an address just for handling bug reports and issues so feel free to contact me there as well.
« Last Edit: <09-01-14/2024:10> by Adam »

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #1 on: <07-03-14/1048:16> »
Wow, excellent.  I'll check this out over the weekend for sure.  :)
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

martinchaen

« Reply #2 on: <07-03-14/1146:27> »
Awesome, testing this tonight for sure!

If you need help with datafiles (assuming they work the same way they did in SR4), I can assist with proofreading and/or adding new items from new books, as I know my way around the SR4 xmls well.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-03-14/1209:48> »
Which approach is the correct one?
Both are correct (except that raising a skill from 2 to 3 cost 6 karma, not 3).

From a programming point of view you should go with the most optimal approach and prioritize skill points for high rating skills and then use karma on lower skills and/or on specializations (where skill points on specializations is more prioritized only if you don't have any skills of rating 3 or less to spend karma on)

On your example it would be to use skill points on A to 4. Skill points on B to 2. 6 karma on skill B from 2 to 3.

Adam

« Reply #4 on: <07-03-14/1217:22> »
Xenon - Thank you! I'll recode the Knowledge Skills to use the optimal path probably this weekend. And I should have been more explicit in my example, for what I had in my head which was Knowledge Skills it would be one point per level in the skill but for Active Skills, you're absolutely right.

Martinchaen - Much appreciated. I'm already adding in the content from Street Grimoire and will be working on it over the weekend as well.  I kept the format as much the same as I could coming from 4th and just added in new tags where needed to support new concepts in 5th.

Right now I really need extra eyes on it, especially people who've been playing for a while and are more likely to catch things I got wrong.  Our group has only been playing Shadowrun for a year and are only just about to start our first 5th Edition campaign in two weeks.

martinchaen

« Reply #5 on: <07-03-14/1340:51> »
Cool! Just got it started up and will recreate my existing characters tonight.

One thing I spotted immediately is that cyberlimbs probably have remnants of old code as you have the BOD stat being affected by them; this is no longer the case in SR5, as cyberlimbs only have STR and AGI stats.

Do you prefer bug reports and corrections be sent by e-mail, posted here on this thread, or submitted/sent elsewhere?

Adam

« Reply #6 on: <07-03-14/1344:44> »
Either here or email is fine but if you send them via email it's a little easier for me.  I'm a OneNote addict and whether they come in from here or via email, the first thing I do is add it to my OneNote bug checklist so it gets resolved promptly and I don't let one fall through the cracks.  Just for reference, I'm also adding some of the low hanging fruit from SG while you guys are playing with the beta so you'll start seeing SG showing up in the next build.

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <07-03-14/1349:51> »
Putting in implanted commlink and then trying to select a commlink will crash the program.

I can also not increase skills past 6, despite having clicked "ignore creation rules".

I can't make a Common,moderate Allergy.

Other than that, awesome work!
« Last Edit: <07-03-14/1354:55> by Razhul »

Adam

« Reply #8 on: <07-03-14/1405:35> »
Keep 'em coming... I'm fixing the stuff you folks find in between adding items from SG. I'll probably put out an updated build tomorrow at this rate.

prismite

• Omae
« Reply #9 on: <07-03-14/1501:26> »
Very exciting start, Adam!
Looking forward to the progress you will make!
Want to join a skype game on R20 on Sundays? PM me!

voydangel

• Omae
  • SR GM since 1990. Damn I'm old.
« Reply #10 on: <07-03-14/1548:25> »
Awesome man!
I'll check it out and try to give some feedback/error reports/etc. as soon as I get some time.
Thanks and keep up the great work!
My tips for new GM's
Unless it is coming from an official source, RAI = "Rules As Imagined."
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4++SR5+++h+b+++B+D382UBIE-RN---DSF-W+m+(o++)gm+MP

Razhul

• Omae
« Reply #11 on: <07-03-14/1551:42> »
I think Sensor arrays are missing from the tool? I was wanting to add it to my armor suit and could not find it.

Adam

« Reply #12 on: <07-03-14/1619:02> »
Razhul - You're correct. I've tracked down the issue and gotten them to show up correctly but found another problem as well (it's not registering use of capacity when adding sensor functions to the sensor). I'll try to get all of this resolved for the next update.

JD

• Newb
« Reply #13 on: <07-03-14/1624:06> »
+10 karma to Adam from sunny Denmark.
""Just ignore the rules" seems to be the consistent take I get on this forum" 
-Typhus

Davidvs

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <07-03-14/1856:06> »
Thanks Adam - this is awesome news!