NEWS

Whose opinions matter to the megacorps?

• 17 Replies

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <03-12-18/1332:43> »
Does anyone have a source for percentages employed by megacorps?

% of what? the global population?  Probably very small.

The clerk manning the Stuffer Shack won't have an Aztechnology Corp SIN, even though he's ultimately under that corp's umbrella.

Edit:  In going through some of my older materials, they did used to sometimes give "Corporate affiliation" stats.  For example, in the Neo-Anarchist's Guide to North America (a 1st edition resource) the Atlanta sprawl has 56% corp affiliation.  Downtown Atlanta has 84%.  Of course most of the rest of the sprawl is single digit affiliation.  Now granted, there's room to interpret what "corporate affiliation" actually means.  It probably includes people who wouldn't have a Corp SIN like the janitors and window washers servicing a megacorp facility.
« Last Edit: <03-12-18/1347:54> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

frederick.johansen

• Newb
  • Why are all the pictures wrong?
« Reply #16 on: <03-13-18/0504:50> »
I really appreciate the assistance in wrapping my noodle around the Shadowrun universe.  Ironically the idea that the mega are more like a big multinational now rather than some sort of all powerful despotic ..... thing ..... also helps my friend's son.  He has been drawn to Shadowrun because it is something he can imagine much more easily than a D&D or other fantasy realm.  Things are different, sure, but enough the same as to be identifiable.  I honestly couldn't tell from the reading I had done whether the megas were large multinational corporations or something absolutely different.  Making money only makes sense when you don't already have all of it.  Since the megas are interested in making money, they must not have all of it.  PR only matters if the people you are trying to influence can exert some level of control over the party engaging in PR.  Since the megas DO engage in PR, there must be some degree to which the public does have some sort of recourse. 

Even when you can't see the pipe that brings the water into your house, if you turn on the tap and water comes out, you can assume there is a pipe somewhere.  Thanks to everyone for letting me know that while the world of Shadowrun can be a bit bizarre, some basic logic still does apply.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #17 on: <03-22-18/2019:39> »
The whole corporate citizen thing really is game dependant though. I've got very firm ideas of how I use it but I also know other people on this forum with equally firm but different ones. So how they'd be run is dependant on who's game your in. For example in mine limited corp sins are the carrot to entice highly skilled workers over to you while full corporate sin is basically minor nobility it doesn't matter how incompetant or lazy you are as long as you don't hurt the corp it'll look after you. Which is why corp sin is such a big drawback if you have that the corp is looking for you not because you know their deepesst, darkest secrets but because as a criminal you make their nobility look bad. A little rebellion is tolerated as long as it can be spin controlled and then you settle into that important job of keeping this office chair from rolling away by sitting in it but too much and you will be dealt with.

Really the whole nobility thing works pretty well for the corps in general I think. There is plenty of kidnap/experiement/exploit the sinless going on and no one actually cares about that. However if it becomes too obvious and generates bad PR you loose the people who actually matter to other corps and it hurts your bottom line. Its the difference between a group of sinless being put through a procedure to make them all into immortal magicians (and the resulting bodies being dumped in a handy incenerator) vs the vast masses keeping your company ticking along walking out of their jobs enmass because you've cut the pay to the point where their kids are starving. The former wont be well known and if it comes out can be spin controlled because its just a small little part of the population no on really cares about while the later not only hurts your bottom line as those products you sell aren't being produced but it also generates bad PR the other corps can use against you.