NEWS

SR6: spirit binding, elemental attack

• 1 Replies

Alrician

• Newb
« on: <04-06-22/0812:03> »
As it actually says above:

can I also use the level of a summoning focus as bonus dice for the binding ritual? At first glance, I didn't find a special "binding focus" in street wyrd.

edit: Another question afterwards on the subject of spirits and attacks (if I name things differently than in the CRB, it's because I use the German translation):

Do all elementals have the attack named under "Attack:" by nature or do you have to buy it as an "Additional power"? Or do you only buy the elementary side effect (e.g. chemically in the case of the earth elemental)?

Version 1:
All spirits have at least one attack form, listed under "Attack:" With the additional power "elemental attack" you only buy the additional elemental effect.

Variant 2:

Elemental Spirits (Air, Earth, Water, Fire) are inherently incapable of attacking. You have to buy the additional power "Elemental Attack" for them to attack in battle.
« Last Edit: <04-06-22/1622:57> by Alrician »

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <04-06-22/1803:01> »
Summoning is for summoning, and there isn't a binding focus, so I'd say no you can't.

The attacks listed under Attacks are all possible attacks, not all attacks they have by default.  Spirits of Air have Elemental Attack as an Optional power, while Spirits of Fire have Elemental Attack as a base power.

All spirits so far have the Close Combat skill, which gives them a way to attack even if they don't have the Elemental Attack power, or Engulf, or other power that can be used as an attack.  All of a spirit's skills are at a level equal to their Force, so a Force 5 Spirit of Earth, when manifested, rolls 8 dice to clobber its enemies with rocks and dirt (Close Combat 5 + Agility 3).  The damage would be a base of 2S unless otherwise noted. 
The Exotic Ranged Weapon skill that some spirits have is to be used for their Elemental Attack, should it be chosen.