NEWS

Shadowrun-esque Anime and Movies?

• 92 Replies

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #60 on: <09-04-11/1057:33> »
Speaking of SR movies... anyone seen Babylon AD?  Not a very good movie, I thought, but fun and entertaining and a solid SR reference, imo.

Yep...actually didn't mind it - good call.

AJC
the movie is not have bad at all, its just the ending and that makes more sense once you read the book.
otherwise it can be used as example of SR a setting
The ending just does not translate well into movie terms

read the book, Vin Diesel character is lot more tougher in the book

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #61 on: <09-04-11/1923:41> »
Speaking of SR movies... anyone seen Babylon AD?  Not a very good movie, I thought, but fun and entertaining and a solid SR reference, imo.

Yep...actually didn't mind it - good call.

AJC
the movie is not have bad at all, its just the ending and that makes more sense once you read the book.
otherwise it can be used as example of SR a setting
The ending just does not translate well into movie terms

read the book, Vin Diesel character is lot more tougher in the book

I'll do that, methinks.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #62 on: <09-05-11/0022:20> »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Fallen

• Chummer
  • I like π
« Reply #63 on: <09-05-11/0028:49> »
Here we go, with music.

Pretty cool!

Black Lagoon... an excellent friend of mine who happened to visit a bare few days ago highly recommends it.  So, yeah.  I'll definitely have to get a copy soon.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #64 on: <10-21-11/1810:56> »
Even though its been said twice: Black Lagoon. Still doing my best to make SR Roanapur not look too much like the original, but sometimes the best thing to do is call it something between a feral and normal city and run with it.

But yeah, BL is basically shadowrunning in the 90's, which is why I'm so fixated on bringing that city forward to the 2070's. Still mot sure if any megas would be trying to muscle in though.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

Teyl_Iliar

• Omae
  • Professionals, Don't cross them.
« Reply #65 on: <10-21-11/1904:18> »
I have long toyed with the idea of making a shadow run set in the 90's via adapted 4th ed rules....
UB
Brick
speaking
ITF
Slip
speaking
thinking
comm

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #66 on: <10-21-11/1913:27> »
Even though its been said twice: Black Lagoon. Still doing my best to make SR Roanapur not look too much like the original, but sometimes the best thing to do is call it something between a feral and normal city and run with it.

But yeah, BL is basically shadowrunning in the 90's, which is why I'm so fixated on bringing that city forward to the 2070's. Still mot sure if any megas would be trying to muscle in though.

Roanapur: Where you really really need to beware of folks wearing maid outfits, and where the girls will kick your ass.

-k

Malex

• Omae
  • Hoy!
« Reply #67 on: <10-21-11/1948:24> »
While neither anime or a movie. The live action tv series Max Headroom, I brought up in another thread, was very near future dystopian society similiar to William Gibson's material.
Look past the lies, and all the scary stuff that remains is the truth.

Kylen

• Omae
« Reply #68 on: <10-24-11/1423:23> »

Roanapur: Where you really really need to beware of folks wearing maid outfits, and where the girls will kick your ass.

-k

I know, right? An all of the girls are hot and at least a Little unhinged. I' still trying to figure out if the corps have some small time conclaves or something there, but they are definately not in control, or anywhere near that, with no LS or KE to back them up.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger." - Tolkien

"F*** subtle." - Dresden

clashmasterj

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <10-25-11/0103:51> »
The Losers is one of the best examples of how a well oiled team should work, and it has a plethora of double-crosses

How did this thread go on for so long without a mention of Equilibrium? I haven't met a signal person that has NOT tried to make a gunslinger adept based on the Grammaton Cleric.

And speaking of Chris Evans (Jenson in Losers), Push is chock full of mages and adepts.

The aforementioned Appleseed Deus Ex is a perfect example of cyberware, hackers, and megacorps

Big Trouble in Little China is a must see, especially for the mix of "reality" and mysticism

There is a long list of movies that feel like SR and I could go on for a long time as this is a list I've created myself, but these are the ones I use for mood setting and inspiration.
Player : "Can I call one of my hacker friends?"
GM : "You don't have any friends."
Player pouts.

Phylos Fett

• Omae
  • Kind-of A Freelancer...
« Reply #70 on: <10-25-11/0730:45> »
How did this thread go on for so long without a mention of Equilibrium? I haven't met a signal person that has NOT tried to make a gunslinger adept based on the Grammaton Cleric.

Wow - I never knew this movie existed until now. Must see this!

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #71 on: <10-25-11/0801:41> »

It's definitely worth the watch, especially to see how Gun-Fu would work.

[spoiler]And it's yet another film where Sean Bean dies. If he had a nickel for each movie/tv show he died in, he'd be rich. ;)[/spoiler]

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #72 on: <10-25-11/0824:12> »

Definetly
And get Yourself an Uncut Version !

with an uncut Dan
Medicinema
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

clashmasterj

• Newb
« Reply #73 on: <10-25-11/2248:02> »
I'm mortified that the line I've been quoted on so many times has a typo. 'Signal' was obviously supposed to be 'single', but my swype spellchecker has it in for me
Player : "Can I call one of my hacker friends?"
GM : "You don't have any friends."
Player pouts.

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #74 on: <10-25-11/2302:19> »

The first ten minutes or so of the movie, to whet your appetite.

Dunno how long it will be up.

-k