NEWS

[SR5] House Rules

• 416 Replies

Top Dog

• Ace Runner
« Reply #240 on: <07-07-14/1653:50> »
I assumed it applied only if you disrupted the spirit. Surely it's not both?

It's a rather harsh rule anyway. Why can't people fight hostile spirits?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #241 on: <07-07-14/1935:15> »
I assumed it applied only if you disrupted the spirit. Surely it's not both?

It's a rather harsh rule anyway. Why can't people fight hostile spirits?

You can, but if you're a lover of spirits you probably see them more as slaves anyway.  Kill the master instead.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #242 on: <07-09-14/2157:13> »
Moving this over for GenPop review and availability ...

For faster/easier movement tracking:

Everyone gets four basic 'movement points' per Turn.  Each movement point equates to moving their Agility in meters.  They can move less than the full amount if they want, but if they do, that movement point is still used.

• Moving more than 2 points worth per Turn inflicts running penalties on all subsequent actions when the third point is used.
  • If the character wants to sprint, they expend a Full Action, use all their remaining movement points, and make their Athletics/Running (Sprinting) roll as per the book, adding the appropriate number of meters on.

If you want to make this a cyclical sort of thing, then characters' movement point allowance regenerates equal to the number of movement points used last Turn during this initiative point; if a character has a lower initiative than last time, s/he should regenerate those MPs more readily (i.e. regenerate last Turn's IP 1 and 2 on this turn's IP 1, if last turn had 4 IPs and this one only has 2).  This keeps the maximum movement at 4 IPs per rolling Turn, which in turn means that you can't actually make the Run + Run on immediately-subsequent initiative passes if you're a hyper-fast guy, because you won't regenerate those MPs until next Turn.

Here's the kicker for this second suggestion: you continue to have Running penalties until you once again possess at least 3 movement points.  To boot, if they want to continue to get more than their one 'regenerated' movement point's worth of distance, they continue to have to use a complex action to Sprint.

This makes movement tracking easy - "Okay, Mook 3 and Mook 5 have used 1 point each, they're still fine, but Mook 4 has used 2 and wants to use another movement point, so he's now Running" - AND does not require you to track precisely how far each mook has run.

You might also allow for a basic 1m of movement per Initiative pass, just to allow for shifting and the like.
« Last Edit: <08-12-14/1634:14> by The Wyrm Ouroboros »
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Valkyrie

• Newb
« Reply #244 on: <07-30-14/0846:53> »
I've got a doozie.  So I'm of the school of thought that technomancers aren't up to par.  I feel they should be able to make much better hackers than I feel the rules allow. I know there are differing (and valid for both sides) opinions on this, and I'm not here to argue that point, I just wanted to explain my rationale and goal for the following (some of these are taken from previous posts, thanks for the ideas everyone):

General

Move the whole cost one priority down. Original A benefits at B level, etc (Since skills and attributes are so critical for a technomancer who wants to be an amazing hacker, I felt the priority system was too restrictive for this to work)

-I'm bringing in streams from 4th.

-I'm bringing in paragons (they'll basically be equivalent in power and cost to mentor spirits)

-Technomancers can form their own PAN and slave devices, but their device rating is treated as half their Resonance (round up) for these purposes.

Complex Forms

-Fading values of the following complex forms have changed:

Cleaner: L-2
Diffusion of [Matrix Attribute]: L
Editor: L-2
Infusion of [Matrix Attribute]: L-1
Pulse Storm: L-2
Puppeteer: L-1
Resonance Spike: L-3
Resonance Veil: L
Static Bomb: L-1

I tried to bring these in line with spells of similar impact and function.

New Complex Form:

Resonance Tunneling
Target: Host on which you have at least 1 mark / Duration: S / FV: L
You connect to your sprite with a thread of resonant code, allowing it to enter a host without having to use a remote task. You can continue to command the sprite from outside the host. Make a simple Software + Resonance [Level] test with a threshold equal to half the host's rating (round up). Success keeps you connected to your sprite as if it had not left your virtual presence.

Sprites

-I'll be converting the various sprites from Unwired

-Sprites mental attributes will now differ more based on type.  I'll get those together some time later.

-Sprites get a number of programs appropriate to their type equal to their level/3 (round up).

-Sprites' skills are equal to their level. (I couldn't find this mentioned in the text.  I feel it was probably just accidentally left out)

-To balance the crazy overwatch thing with sprites, the matrix has trouble recognizing sprites.  They are always considered to be running silently from the perspective of non-resonance entities with no penalty to their actions.  They cannot run silently with respect to resonance entities.

-Sprites with 3 marks on something can transfer one mark to the technomancer than compiled them as a complex action. This uses one task.

Submersion

-Submersion costs 10+(new grade*3) karma.  I feel the book's value is a typo (and if it isn't, it's too crazy high for me to consider).

-The Program Echo is replaced by Emulation (detailed below).

-Any echo increasing a Matrix Attribute increases it by the [Submergence grade]/2 (round up).  These cannot be taken multiple times

"New" Echoes (Most Shamelessly stolen from 4e)

Emulation
The technomancer may run up to her submergence grade in common or hacking programs. She can learn up to [Resonance] programs, [Resonance x2] if this echo is taken twice. Each program costs 1 karma to learn.  These programs can be swapped out just like a Decker's. A technomancer cannot emulate agents or autosofts.

Blur
Since any uses of Resonance leave a Matrix signature via sprites and complex forms, technomancers can cover their tracks more efficiently with the Blur echo. This echo creates a diffuse resonant “fingerprint” that is hard to identify and recognize later. Increase the threshold for Matrix Perception Tests to detect the technomancer’s signature by her submersion grade.

Defragmentation
With this echo, the technomancer is able to heal Matrix damage done to his living persona. He can only heal damage that would  affect  the  living  persona, not damage to his meat body from Black IC programs or Fading. To perform Defragmentation of his living persona, the technomancer makes a Resonance + Willpower (1 Combat Turn) Extended Test. Each hit regenerates one box of damage. The technomancer may not perform any other action while undergoing Defragmentation. Any damage remaining after using Defragmentation must be healed through normal rest.

Info Sortilege
The Info Sortilege echo gives the technomancer an intuitive feel for the way information links together—he can almost “feel” the right route to pursue when gathering information. More importantly, this echo enables the technomancer to analyze data he has collected for clues that will give him insight into hidden facts, allowing him to make deductions and uncover hidden connections. Some technomancers believe that they can even read the future in the Matrix by observing how the data about a person, location, or event behaves and flows.
A technomancer with this echo must possess the Computer skill. To use Info Sortilege, the submerged technomancer must first gather a small hoard of data on the subject. He then enters a mild trance state that will reveal data vestiges, links, and traces that are normally lost in the noise of the code. The insights and information from following these datatrails should be beyond what mere search operations or basic research would uncover.
Mechanically, with a suitable amount of data at hand (at least two hits in a simple Matrix Search), the seeker declares her intent to use Info Sortilege and enters a mild trance (–2 dice pool modifier to all other actions). She must then make a Computer + Resonance Test (Data Search Specialization applies) to follow the thin datatrail in the Matrix like a sleepwalker. The more hits the technomancer scores on this test, the more hidden pieces fall into place to reveal the bigger picture, how information about the subject intertwines and relates to each other. Depending how information is hidden, the search might also lead the technomancer to devices or hosts that have to be hacked to acquire the information therein.

Sift
Technomancers who possess this echo can intuitively sift through massive amounts of data to find the appropriate information they are looking for. In game terms, the threshold for Matrix Search Tests is reduced by the technomancer’s submersion grade.

Skinlink
A technomancer with this echo gains the ability to use his skin as connection to other devices, similar to an integral skinlink. The technomancer can use this link to hack any device he touches, even if wireless signals are jammed. Note that the device does not need to have skinlink adaptation. Two technomancers with this echo may mentally communicate with each other simply by touching.

Final Thoughts

This stuff makes Technomancers good, but I don't want to eliminate the decker as a valid and potent option.  Have I gone too far?  What are good ways to either reign this in or to give deckers a slight boost so they don't get left behind?  In my mind right now, deckers have a versatility edge, since they can more easily reconfigure their deck, while I've left the technomancer matrix stats fixed.  Deckers still have a solid program advantage from the outset, though with enough time and submergence a technomancer can catch up.
« Last Edit: <07-30-14/0854:42> by Valkyrie »

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #245 on: <08-12-14/1550:37> »
Capsule rounds seem to be a bit overpowered, so I've tried to design a houserule in order to mitigate that.

As Run&Gun mentions that single dose of toxin is enough for filling 5 rounds, it would be fluff-wise to say that single bullet brings toxin with 1/5 of standard dose's Power, e.g. narcoject payload would have Power 3 (15/5).
But RAW, IIRC, doesn't regulate number of bullets that hit the target while shooting bursts and full auto (GM can interpret high number of net hits as 3 bullets put straightly into the target or as 1 bullet put into a heart, from game mechanics' point of view it's all the same). For the purpose of houseruling capsule ammo number of net hits = number of bullets wich actually hit the target and bring the payload onto enemy's skin. Of course, maximum number of bullets which hit the target can't be higher than actual number of bullets for current attack (1 for SS and SA, 3 for short burst and SA-burst, 6 for long burst and Simple Full Auto, etc.).
As capsule ammo impacts and releases payload even via grazing hit, grazing hit itself is counted as "free net hit". So with 1 actual net hit shooter will put 2 bullets at his target (1 for grazing hit and 1 for actual net hit).

For example, sammy shoots 6-round Full Auto and wins Opposed Test with 2 net hits. 3 bullets hit the target, thus payload toxin's Power is 3/5 of standard dose's Power. Sammy's rounds were loaded with narcoject, basic Power 15.

15 x 3 / 5 = 9.
Target will make Toxin resistance test against Power 9.
SR1++SR2++SR3+++SR4+SR5+h++IE-W++hk++sa++++sh+hm--m-gm+M-P

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #246 on: <09-19-14/0909:32> »
I'm considering an alternative ruling for "Target defended against previous attack" cumulative modifier:

1) change words "since his last Action Phase" with "since the beginning or the current Combat Turn". So character's Action Phase doesn't reset that modifier for him anymore.

or

2) instead of accumulating -1 modifier for any previous attack, pile up modifiers based on firing modes (-1 for defending against previous SS/SA, -2 for defending against previous SA burst/burst, -5 for defending, against previous long burst/Simple FA, -9 for defending against  previous Complex FA).
So if you must defend against incoming burst fire and you've already defended against SA attack and Simple FA attack since you last action phase, you'll suffer -8 modifier: -1 for previous SA, -5 for previous Simple FA, -2 for current BF.

The reason is I hate situations when someone can easily dodge several simple SA/SA burst attacks with null sweat without any cover, standing in the middle of the room.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #247 on: <09-22-14/0118:00> »
Then learn to shoot better or try something different that can't be dodged. Otherwise you're cheating people who invested in their defense pool.

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #248 on: <09-23-14/0311:46> »
Nope, I just want to prevent people from standing straight when lead is flying around. They shall use cover instead.

try something different that can't be dodged
Sure, that won't be cheating against those with high defense dice pools  ;)

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #249 on: <09-24-14/2048:41> »
Nope, I just want to prevent people from standing straight when lead is flying around. They shall use cover instead.

First, your houserule destroys the benefits of cover, as well.  It further means that everyone HAS to build a combat character, or they're going to lose their character the instant a fight breaks out.  And besides that, you're basing this on a false assumption - that you can stand stock-still in the middle of a room and get a defense roll; you don't.  The defense roll represents moving in ways intended to make yourself more difficult to hit, and keeping out of the enemy's line of fire.  If you're actually standing still, no roll to be had.

And are you really so shocked that people with superhuman reflexes and/or senses are, well, superhuman?  If someone has Combat Sense 6, Intuition 5, and Reaction 5 ( 8 ), they very well should be almost impossible to hit - that's a massive player investment, but more importantly, the character actually has freaking Spidey-Senses.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #250 on: <09-25-14/0522:34> »
First, your houserule destroys the benefits of cover, as well.
Not at all. (x+4)>x
It further means that everyone HAS to build a combat character, or they're going to lose their character the instant a fight breaks out.
No, that means they should take cover (full cover with high Armor is preferable) and use other combat options for defense. Full Defense isn't just a good addition, sometimes it's necessary, e.g. when several folks are shooting at you at once.
If someone has Combat Sense 6, Intuition 5, and Reaction 5 ( 8 ),
My house rule won't abuse those with dice pools worth 19 dice. Even two Simple Full-Auto attacks in a row will leave them with 9 dice for defense, 11 dice with running, about 14-15 with Full Defense, and back to 18-19 will good cover.

Non-optimized character with basic 8 dice (fine decker with Int 5, Rea 3; or moderate fighter with Rea 5, Int 3) can have 10 dice with running, 13-14 with Full Defense, 18 with good cover. Under my house rule two SA-bursts in a row will leave him with 13-14 dice with cover, 9-10 dice without it. These numbers aren't too low.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #251 on: <09-25-14/0758:52> »
SR5 upped damage, and to compensate, armor and dodge dice. Taking away one of the compensating factors just makes things more deadly.

It further means that everyone HAS to build a combat character, or they're going to lose their character the instant a fight breaks out.
No, that means they should take cover (full cover with high Armor is preferable) and use other combat options for defense. Full Defense isn't just a good addition, sometimes it's necessary, e.g. when several folks are shooting at you at once.
I guess you missed the topic about how full cover is actually counterproductive because the barrier will only absorb 1 point of damage.

decPL

• Newb
« Reply #252 on: <09-25-14/0902:05> »
I guess you missed the topic about how full cover is actually counterproductive because the barrier will only absorb 1 point of damage.
Reading throught that topic again (http://forums.shadowruntabletop.com/index.php?topic=17786.0), I'm under the impression that while full cover is counterproductive for a high-defense char, there seems to be a consensus that the barrier stops [ROLL: Structure + Armor] + 1 points of damage (though I'm might be biased here, as I was one of those convinced by that interpretation).

Erling

• Chummer
« Reply #253 on: <09-25-14/1003:10> »
Actually I started that. And, as decPL has just mentioned, there was an interpretation under wich Penetration Weapons rules are to be applied AFTER Armor+Structure roll. It can result in a very good damage absorbtion, especially with Heavy Material or harder.

Also I still think that rules from the book are screwed, as SR5 is the only fragging Shadowrun edition (and possibly the only high-tech RPG) where shooting blind is easier than aimed shooting (SR3, IIRC, gave +7 TN modifier, SR4A allowed normal defense roll with Good Cover bonus). Uh, and also in SR5 SA/SS fire is more productive for shooting fully covered target than BF/FA, just brilliant.
So I houserule it as well.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #254 on: <09-25-14/1054:31> »
Uh, and also in SR5 SA/SS fire is more productive for shooting fully covered target than BF/FA, just brilliant.
Unless you implement the optional rule for that situation from Run&Gun, plus if the enemy uses a periscope they will still see the attack coming and have a defense roll. But just to be clear, what you're desiring is that if 4 lousy gangers focus Long Bursts at someone, they WILL get hit?
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!