NEWS

The current Metaplots

• 386 Replies

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <08-06-12/0812:36> »
Dude, I don't like thinking of what the Azzies do. You're telling me these guys were worse? Tell me there isn't an Eternal elf like Harlequin running around playing for their team still. I imagine we'd see like.... a never-aging Hannibal Lecter.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #46 on: <08-06-12/0827:59> »
No known immortal elves working for the Azzies, no. But there may be a Corrupted dragon running the place. For those of you who don't know, Corruption is something that happens to people who have contact with Horrors. And people who get Corrupted tend to make toxics look sane.

Of course, it is possible that the Black Lodge is made up of the descendants of Thera, as well.

And yes, the Therans were into all kinds of uber nastiness that would put the Azzies to shame. Let's put it this way. You know how divided the dragons are right now? The Therans were into enough kinds of nasty that ALL the great dragons in Europe agreed that they needed to be put down. Part of this plan involved a ritual including Mountainshadow (Dunkelzhan), Icewing (Ghostwalker), Vasdenjas, and Vast Green (Sirrurg). Oh, and Vasdenjas's brother, who happened to be merged with a Horror directly, showed up to say hi as well.

The Therans held the entire world hostage, demanding tribute and servitude in order for them to share the secret to surviving the Scourge. They didn't do that as simply a whim. That was something they had been planning for over a thousand years before the first Horrors showed up.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #47 on: <08-06-12/1103:17> »
The Therans held the entire world hostage, demanding tribute and servitude in order for them to share the secret to surviving the Scourge. They didn't do that as simply a whim. That was something they had been planning for over a thousand years before the first Horrors showed up.
Well, The Azzies would probably not be trying to speed up the Horror invasion if they didn't have some way of profiting from it...although their plan seems to be collaboration rather than selling protection

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #48 on: <08-06-12/1224:27> »
Well, The Azzies would probably not be trying to speed up the Horror invasion if they didn't have some way of profiting from it...although their plan seems to be collaboration rather than selling protection
Assuming, of course, that the Azzies know what they're doing, outside of the Horror cult.

My Characters

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #49 on: <08-06-12/1529:51> »
Assuming, of course, that the Azzies know what they're doing, outside of the Horror cult.
Well, 6WA and SoLA have some rumors that the whole Aztec fad is nothing more than a front for a Horror cult. But in any case, the "Horror fraction" obviously believes there is something to be gained by bringing forth the apocalypse.

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #50 on: <08-06-12/1633:17> »
No dragon has been killed by  conventional weaponry in the sixth world. Dunkelzahn is the closest and he was killed by a very large carbobmb (at least externally)

I still have hope that some great dragon gets killed by a nice conventional strike of some sort. Artillery, Thror Shot, Mounted laser whatever. That would really be the only way I can see the lives of guys like Sirrug, Ghostwalker, and to a lesser extent (because of relative low profile) Aiden going.

Until that happens the setting is really not about one of magic and tech, it's a setting of magi c and then then tech for people that didn't win the genetic lotteryI

I now return you to your regularly scheduled metaplot lthread, depressingly filled with magic and 4th world plots.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #51 on: <08-06-12/1727:49> »
Well, that's just the way things are. Given enough time or wherewithal, magic users can adapt and use technology. However, the opposite is not true. You cannot just control magic with technology like the Ghostbusters (which is what they were doing), and even if you can the magic users will also be able to use it.

The one thing that mundanes have going for them is that there are a lot more than them.

Also, speaking of dragons. While there are only about two dozen Great Dragons in the world, there are approximately two thousand Adult Dragons. If and when any make it to becoming Great Dragons is important because even in Earthdawn only one in four or five would ever ascend to Greathood, and right now the only Great Dragon wholly of the Sixth World is Masaru. And while no greats have been confirmed killed by metahumanity, that is not the case with Adults.

If you want to battle a great dragon, you have to look at the whole picture—they do.

I had a feeling that was coming.  :)

Working from memory here 'cause I'm away from my books, so hopefully I won't flub any details.

Basically, one of the founders of Thera hadn't liked how things had gone from "Let's form a center of learning to translate the Books of Harrow so the world can prepare for this coming disaster!" to "Let's use our knowledge of how to protect against the Horrors to force everyone to swear fealty to us to survive and run our ubermagic on the blood of slaves they send us and CONQUER THE WORLD!" He finally reached his limit when he heard the rumors going around that the ruler of Thera might soon drop the pretense and change his title from "First Governor" to "Emperor". So after calling them all out on their drek, he had a bunch of earth elementals build a massive statue of a sphinx glaring at the capital city, then he and elementals all merged themselves with the Sphinx. The Therans feared that he was still watching them from wthin the Sphinx, waiting for them to go too far, and if they did then the Sphinx would come to life and punish them for their hubris. And since then, no First Governor has dared to call himself Emperor.

So Icewing (the name of Ghostwalker in that era) being perched on the Sphinx of all things was either a reminder of how corrupt the Therans had become and that their unchecked ambition would have consequences... or, if the Sphinx really is capable of coming to life, indicated that Icewing's retaliatory strikes had the tacit approval of the last uncorrupted founding father of Thera. Either way, symbolically quite potent. The Therans backed off, for the next few centuries at least.

It's also worth noting that Icewing's reputation as a spirit expert would have also preceded him.
« Last Edit: <08-06-12/1736:17> by James Meiers »

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #52 on: <08-06-12/1736:41> »
As we discussed earlier, a great dragon was brought down by fighter jets with air-to-air missiles soon after the Awakening. However, there are indications that she didn't die, just was badly wounded and went into hiding in a radiation zone. Alamais was badly wounded by a laser weapon, but also turned up alive later. Great dragons seem to have a knack for it.

Some mere adult dragons have been killed with conventional weaponry over the years, I believe.

On the other hand, I can only recall one great dragon killed through Awakened means in the Sixth World, Nachtmeister being killed by Lofwyr, so conventional weaponry is doing quite respectably by comparison. GDs are just hard to kill in general.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #53 on: <08-06-12/1816:56> »
No dragon has been killed by  conventional weaponry in the sixth world. Dunkelzahn is the closest and he was killed by a very large carbobmb (at least externally)
Haeslich(sp?) was brought down by conventional weapons. Unsure whether he was a Great or not, though. Of course, normal rules about not finding a body apply.

Eliohann was 'killed' by something so basic as feedback from the Matrix. Well, technically he's an e-ghost and his brain-dead body is on life support, but that's pretty much dead, in my book.

Dzitbalchen was killed by a ceremonial dagger cutting him open and removing his still beating heart. Sure, he was restrained by magic at the time, but...

Dunkelzhan was killed by a nuke contained in a heavy barrier.

So there are dragons who have been killed by mundane means. Usually, however, it takes a combo of magic and tech to stand a chance against a dragon. They are called 'apex predators' for a reason. They're just damn hard to kill overall.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #54 on: <08-06-12/2048:51> »
Haeslich(sp?) was brought down by conventional weapons. Unsure whether he was a Great or not, though. Of course, normal rules about not finding a body apply.

If he's the one from the first Shadowrun novel, then I'm pretty sure he was an adult.

redwolf

• Chummer
« Reply #55 on: <08-07-12/0312:53> »

If he's the one from the first Shadowrun novel, then I'm pretty sure he was an adult.
yeep by ghost and he had vindicator minigun
yes i'm red and it's not blood, and no i'm no comy i'm just red, so are you going for that pis' or going away!!!

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #56 on: <08-07-12/0329:59> »
Point being, you don't need uber magic to kill a dragon. Now killing a great dragon takes a lot more power than most individuals can manage, even with magic. Which is why the only two times a great dragon has been killed in the modern era, it has involved either a nuke, or another great dragon.

My Characters

TheNarrator

• Omae
« Reply #57 on: <08-07-12/0342:35> »
Which is why the only two times a great dragon has been killed in the modern era, it has involved either a nuke, or another great dragon.
And the case with the nuke was suicide, so it was still the doing of a great dragon.  :P

lurkeroutthere

• Omae
« Reply #58 on: <08-07-12/0459:29> »
It wasn't a nuke, why do people always seem to think it was.
"And if the options are "talk to him like a grown up" versus "LOLOLOL murder him in his face until he doesn't come back," I know which suggestion I'm making." - Critias

No team I'm on has ever had a problem with group think.

Lysanderz

• Omae
« Reply #59 on: <08-07-12/0636:24> »
That's because some people don't understand exactly what a car bomb can do.