Shadowrun General > Gear

Odd things, those sniper rifles.

<< < (8/11) > >>

1:
"If the Attacker benefits from Good Cover, or his cover obscures his view, apply a –2 dice pool modifier to any attacks."

This is perhaps one of the most frustrating rules about sniper rifles. If you have good cover, even if it doesn't obscure your view in any way, for example, you're firing through an open window, nice and comfortable, you get a -2 to hit.

Now I understand why they needed someone on the grassy knoll. Oswald had a -2 to hit Kennedy.

John Schmidt:
Yeah, that is one that I disregard.

Dey got dese things called scopes...that ya look thru at yer targets.  ;D

Scruffy:

--- Quote from: John Schmidt on ---Gas Vent and sound suppressor?

--- End quote ---

Yeah my mistake, I haven't played a sniper in a long time. You can't fit gas venting to a rifle anyway, I just re-read the rules (properly this time  ;D). My point about the Remington over the Barrett still stands though, in Shadowrun it pays to go with weapons that lean towards disposable. I have been in games where players have had to ditch weapons mid-run, and most runs won't pay enough to replace a ¥10,000+ heavily modified rifle, plus whatever else you might need to ditch.

Casazil:

--- Quote from: Scruffy on ---
--- Quote from: John Schmidt on ---Gas Vent and sound suppressor?

--- End quote ---

Yeah my mistake, I haven't played a sniper in a long time. You can't fit gas venting to a rifle anyway, I just re-read the rules (properly this time  ;D). My point about the Remington over the Barrett still stands though, in Shadowrun it pays to go with weapons that lean towards disposable. I have been in games where players have had to ditch weapons mid-run, and most runs won't pay enough to replace a ¥10,000+ heavily modified rifle, plus whatever else you might need to ditch.

--- End quote ---

That is so true I remember playing in one game and the rigger keep looseing drones so he started useing cheap ones.

Same goes for weapons and armor buy what you can replace cheaply

The_Gun_Nut:

--- Quote from: 1 on ---"If the Attacker benefits from Good Cover, or his cover obscures his view, apply a –2 dice pool modifier to any attacks."

This is perhaps one of the most frustrating rules about sniper rifles. If you have good cover, even if it doesn't obscure your view in any way, for example, you're firing through an open window, nice and comfortable, you get a -2 to hit.

Now I understand why they needed someone on the grassy knoll. Oswald had a -2 to hit Kennedy.

--- End quote ---
Grassy knoll?  Please.  Someone said they saw smoke come from it.  Modern weapons use smokeless powder.

Also, it has been proven that someone can make all the shots in the span of time Oswald had to take his shots.  And modern forensic science has explained the whole "magic bullet" controversy away.

Not that there couldn't be more people involved behind the scenes, but you only needed one person shooting.  The killing of Oswald is a little too convenient.

RE:  The cover penalty.  For the most part I wouldn't penalize someone who hand picked their sniper position unless they were in an extremely awkward spot.  If they had near total cover (-4 cover or better) then I might give them the penalty to represent the awkward contortions they put their body in.  It all depends on location, really.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version