NEWS

SR5 Body Barrier Rule

• 7 Replies

Hanzo

• Newb
« on: <10-06-20/1448:45> »
Hi, chummers!

I'm a little bit confused about wording of this rule.

So right now i have two cases of this rule but i don't know which one is correct.

Case 1
I'm carring a ded guy's (DG) Body in Armor in from of me and another bad guy (BG) is trying to shoot me. On the Defense Roll I got less successen than the BG. As I'm carrying the Body it acts as my shield and got the bullet first, as stated in the third sentence of the Rule. So I first roll DG's Body+Armor (-AP if, any) and then all the unresisted damage is then goes to me where I roll my own Body+Armor(-AP, if any).

Case 2
I'm carring a ded guy's (DG) Body in Armor in from of me and another bad guy (BG) is trying to shoot me. First I get Defence Bonus as I'm behing the cover/barrier, as it's stated in the very first sentence of the Rule. I think it's +2 if the body isn't to big OR +4 if i'm trying to carry a troll's body. But the shooter still hits me and now I only rolls my own Body+Armor(-AP, if any).

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #1 on: <10-06-20/1707:21> »
I'd say that it depends on whether you're using the body for cover, or are simply completely hiding behind it. If you're using it as cover, you get the bonus, but a tie hits through the body. If you're just using it as a barrier to hide behind, I'd say your case 1 applies.
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-07-20/0439:50> »
Scenario: Partially hidden behind cover (which is typically the case when using a human shield)
  • If you are aware of the attack and you actively take cover behind a barrier you typically gain a positive dice pool modifier of 2 or 4 dice to your defense test.
  • If you are unaware of an attack (does not see the attacker, the attacker is behind, or is surprised) you are typically not allowed a defense test at all, but if you happen to be behind a barrier you will still roll 2 or 4 dice as a dice pool of its own.
  • The attacker does not suffer any dice pool penalty in this scenario.
  • If the attack is successful then you are hit directly (and the barrier does nothing).
  • If the attack is a tie then you are hit, but the attack first need to penetrate through the barrier.
    • If the attack's modified DV is equal or less than the barriers armor rating then the attack is stopped by the barrier and no damage is done.
    • If the attack's modified DV is higher than the barriers armor rating then the modified DV is reduced by 1 and the rest hits the player as normal.

Scenario: Completely hidden behind cover (perhaps because you are fully behind a wall... typically not the case when using a human wall)
  • You count as if you are unaware of the attack, which mean you are not allowed to take a defense test, but since you happen to be behind good cover you will still roll 4 dice as a pool of its own.
  • The attack in this scenario suffer a negative modifier of 6 dice due to blind fire.
  • If the attack is successful then you are hit, but the attack first need to penetrate through the barrier.
    • If the attack's modified DV is equal or less than the barriers armor rating then the attack is stopped by the barrier and no damage is done.
    • If the attack's modified DV is higher than the barriers armor rating then the modified DV is reduced by 1 and the rest hits the player as normal.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <10-07-20/0502:03> »
And to answer your specific question:

Case 1
I'm carring a ded guy's (DG) Body in Armor in from of me and another bad guy (BG) is trying to shoot me.
Since you are partially covered by the body and is aware of the attack you get to defend against the attack.

On the Defense Roll I got less successen than the BG.
Since you used a Take Cover action to take advantage of the body you carry in front of you, your defense test will gain a positive dice pool modifier (which will make it more likely that the attack will either completely miss or at least first hit the body in front of you).

As I'm carrying the Body it acts as my shield and got the bullet first
The attack will still first hit you and your body on a success.
The attack will only first penetrate the human shield on a tie.

SR5 p. 190 Cover
If you attack someone in cover and you tie in the Opposed Test, you hit your target through the cover she’s using. If you penetrate the barrier (see Barriers, p. 197), you can still do damage to your opponent.

So I first roll DG's Body+Armor (-AP if, any)
If the target is alive, then yes. If the body is dead then you don't really need to worry how much damage it takes....

and then all the unresisted damage is then goes to me where I roll my own Body+Armor(-AP, if any).
No.

If the attacker is using a penetration weapon (for example firing bullets) then the attack will either be stopped cold by the barrier/body (if the modified DV of the attack is less or equal to the armor of the barrier/body) or the modified damage value will just be reduced by 1 and the rest will hit your body.

SR5 p. 198 Penetration Weapons
If the weapon you’re using is primarily a penetrating weapon, like a firearm or a pointed sword, then the barrier takes 1 box of unresisted damage (or no damage at all at the gamemaster’s discretion), allowing the rest to transfer to the target behind it.
This is only true for weapons whose modified DV exceeds the Armor rating of the barrier. As above, if the modified DV is less than the Armor, the attack is stopped dead with no damage to anything.

Case 2
I'm carring a ded guy's (DG) Body in Armor in from of me and another bad guy (BG) is trying to shoot me.
Since you are partially covered by the body and is aware of the attack you get to defend against the attack.

First I get Defence Bonus as I'm behing the cover/barrier
Yes.

Since you used a Take Cover action to take advantage of the body you carry in front of you, your defense test will gain a positive dice pool modifier (which will make it more likely that the attack will either completely miss or at least first hit the body in front of you).

But the shooter still hits me and now I only rolls my own Body+Armor(-AP, if any).
Yes.

Unless the attack was a tie (maybe because the positive dice pool modifier on your defense test).
...in which case the attack will either be stopped cold by the barrier/body (if the modified DV of the attack is less or equal to the armor of the barrier/body) or the modified damage value will just be reduced by 1 and the rest will hit your body.
« Last Edit: <10-07-20/0504:36> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #4 on: <10-07-20/0647:50> »
If it's a non-piercing attack, then it doesn't only leave 1~4 damage in the barrier, btw. Piercing attack would fall under the '1-2-3-4 1/3/6/10-round burst' damage thing.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <10-07-20/0655:01> »
Yes.

But situations where you typically use a human shield is when you try to not be hit by gunfire...

And also. If the attack is successful (not a tie) then it will typically not hit through the human shield anyway...
« Last Edit: <10-07-20/0658:49> by Xenon »

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #6 on: <10-07-20/0902:18> »
Exotic Melee Weapon: (Dead) Body Slam.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <10-07-20/1851:50> »
The Punisher reminds folks, when using a dead body as cover, "Don't hide behind the skinny guy."   ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11