NEWS

(SR5) Martial Arts (Run&Gun)

• 2 Replies

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« on: <02-21-20/1401:17> »
Can someone explain this concept to me like I'm a 10 year old, please?

I grab the Unarmed Combat skill and when I pick a specialization I can pick things like, Cyber Implants, Blocking, and "by specific Martial Art". At this point I pay 1 skill point for the specialization, regardless of which one I pick, and I pick Martial Art. I now assume that I get a +2 to Unarmed Combat when I fight unarmed(?)

Could I just stop here and NOT pick a specific martial art from Run&Gun if we don't feel like playing with all the specific combat moves and I'm happy with the +2?

If I HAVE to pick a specific martial art at this point, why do I now have to pay another 7 Karma for a specific one when all the other specializations don't require additional investment? Shouldn't I as a minimum get to choose a free style for that skill point I put in specialization? No other combat built requires you to spend another 7 karma just to be able to actually use your specialization.

Which brings me to page 119, MOAR ACTIONS! NOT OPTIONAL!

So all these actions are now part of the rules. Some of them comes with the caveat "use of this action requires Martial Arts training". Could I just pick the Martial Arts specialization, no specific style, and be done with and then be able to perform all these actions since they are mandatory per the rules? Does anyone else play like that?

I feel like the martial arts rules are waaaay too complicated and elaborate, and unfortunately somewhat laughable. I'm fine with the actions, the majority of them are ok with a few exceptions. But to have specific techniques within specific styles to be able to perform specific actions. I mean, it's like Inception times 3.

/end rant

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <02-21-20/1442:57> »
Can someone explain this concept to me like I'm a 10 year old, please?

I grab the Unarmed Combat skill and when I pick a specialization I can pick things like, Cyber Implants, Blocking, and "by specific Martial Art". At this point I pay 1 skill point for the specialization, regardless of which one I pick, and I pick Martial Art. I now assume that I get a +2 to Unarmed Combat when I fight unarmed(?)

If you have Unarmed Combat (Karate +2), you get the bonus +2 dice only when you're fighting with "Karate".  It's up to the GM as to whether or not Karate is applicable when you're throwing punches, kicks, grappling, stabbing with cyberspurs etc.  Just as, btw, it's up to the GM to rule if Unarmed Combat (Punches +2) works when you're using Cyberspurs.

Could I just stop here and NOT pick a specific martial art from Run&Gun if we don't feel like playing with all the specific combat moves and I'm happy with the +2?

Yep.  If you want your character to know, for example, Karate, you can just leave it at the specialization and get your +2 dice whenever you do something Unarmed Combat-y that the GM agrees sounds like "Karate" is applicible to.  You only spend the karma to buy the stuff in R&G if you want those special maneuvers.  If all you ever plan to do is just kick/punch people and don't want to spend more karma than the specialization, then take the +2 dice and call it good :)

If I HAVE to pick a specific martial art at this point, why do I now have to pay another 7 Karma for a specific one when all the other specializations don't require additional investment? Shouldn't I as a minimum get to choose a free style for that skill point I put in specialization? No other combat built requires you to spend another 7 karma just to be able to actually use your specialization.

See above.

Which brings me to page 119, MOAR ACTIONS! NOT OPTIONAL!

So all these actions are now part of the rules. Some of them comes with the caveat "use of this action requires Martial Arts training". Could I just pick the Martial Arts specialization, no specific style, and be done with and then be able to perform all these actions since they are mandatory per the rules? Does anyone else play like that?

You want the cool tech, you have to pay for the cool tech.  I can't imagine any GM would allow you to get the martial arts maneuvers without paying for them.  But if you find a GM who does, then you guys do you guys.  There's no game police to force you to play any one way.

I feel like the martial arts rules are waaaay too complicated and elaborate, and unfortunately somewhat laughable. I'm fine with the actions, the majority of them are ok with a few exceptions. But to have specific techniques within specific styles to be able to perform specific actions. I mean, it's like Inception times 3.

/end rant

Ok, so it might help to think of specializations and martial arts as being two completely distinct (albeit complimentary) rules mechanics.  You can buy Karate as a Martial Art.  You can buy Karate as a specialization to a skill.  One does not equal the other.  They're two different things, even if they are both called "Karate".  Furthermore, if you buy one you are not required to buy the other.  In fact, you can buy "Jiu-jitsu" as a specialization for your skill then buy Karate as a Martial Art.  They wouldn't stack obviously, but you could do it.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

RickDeckard

• Chummer
  • It can't rain all the time.
« Reply #2 on: <02-21-20/1651:48> »
Groovy. Thanks for the clear sauce.