NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #300 on: <01-01-12/1924:39> »
Want a smaller person with even more intimidating power?

General Winter.
Are you making reference to our wonderful Canadian weather?  Or am I missing something?   ???
General Winter is a General that Russia and Canada share, and is the only general to stop both Hitler and Napoleon cold (pun intended.).
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #301 on: <01-01-12/2128:15> »
Want a smaller person with even more intimidating power?

General Winter.
Are you making reference to our wonderful Canadian weather?  Or am I missing something?   ???
General Winter is a General that Russia and Canada share, and is the only general to stop both Hitler and Napoleon cold (pun intended.).

Nice.  I'll have to remember that.
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #302 on: <01-01-12/2308:28> »
Of course, Hitler had charisma. Yes, he was an evil bastard, but that doesn't change the fact that he had charisma. Hell, watch a video of one of his speeches. Even knowing he's an evil bastard, even knowing what happened because of it, even without knowing a word of German, even with the bad quality of video recordings compared to today, you still can get swept up in the flow of his words. THAT is charisma, make no mistake.

Now if only he hadn't taken so many ranks in 'evil bastard'...
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #303 on: <01-01-12/2315:43> »
Now if only he hadn't taken so many ranks in 'evil bastard'...

Funny.  +1 Rep for that.

Of course, Hitler had charisma. Yes, he was an evil bastard, but that doesn't change the fact that he had charisma. Hell, watch a video of one of his speeches. Even knowing he's an evil bastard, even knowing what happened because of it, even without knowing a word of German, even with the bad quality of video recordings compared to today, you still can get swept up in the flow of his words. THAT is charisma, make no mistake.

Proof that Charisma in and of itself is truely what influences intimidation.
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

Scarecrow

• Newb
« Reply #304 on: <01-02-12/1358:04> »

It already is possible to trade dice in for hits in some situations (can't remember what situations off the top of my head), and it conversion is 4 dice for 1 hit.

4 dice for 1 hit?  I know it's in the rules, but if a character is in a non stressful situation, I think it should be 3:1.

Tagz

• Omae
« Reply #305 on: <01-02-12/1452:17> »
4:1 without the possibility of glitch is already a good deal.  A 3:1 without possibility of glitch seems a bit too generous to me, but house it how you see fit.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #306 on: <01-02-12/1517:33> »
Also note that you can't buy some hits, and then roll for the rest. You buy hits, or you roll.

My Characters

Scarecrow

• Newb
« Reply #307 on: <01-02-12/1537:06> »
Also note that you can't buy some hits, and then roll for the rest. You buy hits, or you roll.

So, I am rolling 15 dice.  If I buy hits, based on RAW, I would only get 3 hits but lose the chance of rolling a glitch.  Likewise, if I roll all 15 dice, law of averages dictates that I should get 5 hits and may roll a glitch which is sitting at 1:56,000 chance (assuming I did my math right, which I very well may not have).  Obviously 15 dice is excessive, but it is only an example.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #308 on: <01-02-12/1613:21> »

So, I am rolling 15 dice.  If I buy hits, based on RAW, I would only get 3 hits but lose the chance of rolling a glitch.  Likewise, if I roll all 15 dice, law of averages dictates that I should get 5 hits and may roll a glitch which is sitting at 1:56,000 chance (assuming I did my math right, which I very well may not have).  Obviously 15 dice is excessive, but it is only an example.

Yep... but if you get 1 more die you can buy 4 hits.

The way I've always looked at it is that buying hits is for situations that are "significantly below the character's level of competence" (quoted just so it stands out more), with "level of competence" being defined as your character's typical 1/3rd rate for hits.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #309 on: <01-02-12/1744:53> »
Or for those situations where you only need a couple hits. Say, if the threshold was 3 for a certain effect to go off.

My Characters

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #310 on: <01-02-12/1830:53> »
Or for those situations where you only need a couple hits. Say, if the threshold was 3 for a certain effect to go off.

Well, yeah, of course.

I was just narratively rationalizing why they use 1:4 for buying hits vs the 1:3 average for rolling them; i.e. situations where the threshold (3, in this case) is low enough that the character looks at the situation and goes "Pffft, is that all? This is gonna be cake!", not "Hmmm, shouldn't be too difficult". The latter, of course, being the equivalent of the Take 10 action from D&D.
« Last Edit: <01-07-12/0001:13> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

FraustyTheSnowman

• Newb
« Reply #311 on: <01-10-12/1303:10> »
Might not be the right place for this, and if not my bad...

I'm looking for something to represent the exact opposite of going full defensive. Haven't seen anything in the rules yet, so I figured I'd propose a house rule and see what people more familiar with the basics than I thought.

Going full offensive...
Character rolls double related attribute along with skill when making an attack, but loses the ability to roll any dice for defense until his/her next action.

Thoughts?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #312 on: <01-10-12/1746:07> »
Look in Arsenal, under the More Ways to Die section, at some of the maneuvers.

My Characters

FraustyTheSnowman

• Newb
« Reply #313 on: <01-10-12/2153:27> »
Good catch, I never would have thought to look there. Can't say that I like the rule though...only giving you +2 dice...hmmm...I need to think on this some more.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #314 on: <01-11-12/2146:53> »
Remember that offense is way more powerful than defense in SR.  So those extra 2 dice not only confer more damage potential, but reduce the chance of being hit in the first place.  Combo'd with other maneuvers, then one could effectively make 2 or more attacks in a single action all with the +2 bonus.  It gets nasty fast.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."