NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

Crash_00

« Reply #270 on: <12-18-11/2049:04> »
I just see an uncouth person as that guy. You know that guy. That guy from school that was twice the size of the school bully, but always coughed up his lunch money. That guy that would stutter every time he tried to lie. That guy that wound up sitting in the corner not talking to anyone because he literally could not hold a conversation. I really don't see a problem with uncouth at all.

Now, if you're wanting a fix for the social skills (ie being opposed by Stat+Skill), that's one that I've always found odd. My fix for it is pretty simple. You may resist with the appropriate Stat+Skill, representing your knowledge of the subject and realizing you're being manipulated, or you can resist with the following base resistances:
Skill Used     Resistance
Con/Etiquette     Judge Intentions
Intimidate/Leadership/Negotiation     Composure

This gives the Att+Att stats a bit more use and lets them do what I feel they should have been doing all along (Composure used to swallow your fear unless it's against another person?). As a side note, I put negotiation into composure because I personally feel that willpower should be more of a factor in negotiation that it is. After all, the intention of the other person is almost always to make/spend the most/least money possible. If that doesn't fit to your liking just toss Negotiation under the Judge Intentions resistance.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #271 on: <12-19-11/1137:50> »
Too slide away from the subject of Uncouth, here's a HR I'm implementing in my campaign: Simply put, you will be allowed to buy hits on "reactive" tests in most situations. This is to represent a few things things:

Firstly, for damage resistance tests, this is because, after a certain level of armoring, some attacks just aren't going to be a viable threat. A Troll with a Body of 9 and enough armor that a tank would need multiple net hits to do Physical damage isn't going to even notice a little .22 snub-nose Holdout.

Secondly, for Drain, it represents the fact that the body adapts and adjusts to the use of magic, and after a certain level the weaker power flows just become so easy to handle that they stop being a strain. There are, I think, some humorous similarities to a champion strong-man having to open a jar of pickles... including glitching the spell-casting test.

Third, for matrix stuff... well, I don't really know, as I haven't focused on the Matrix too much, but I'd imagine a sufficiently robust system would simply laugh at weaker attempts to bring it down, or something like that.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

OpsCon

• Newb
« Reply #272 on: <12-20-11/1212:37> »
Made an account just to say that I have yet to get to play or run my copy of SR4A, but the new Matrix rules work pretty much the way that I had to houserule it back in 2nd edition to make it work.

If I do run it soon (and I'm looking at the 6th World Almanac on Amazon and thinking this would be easier to get a group together for than Battletech: A Time of War) I am thinking that to keep the number of dice needed down, letting you turn dice into auto successes (on a 3::1 ratio) once you get pools to 13+ dice. That way you should not need more than a standard 12-die set of Chessex Six-siders.  So, for example, a guy with 12 dice rolls them all, but a guy with 13 can turn in 3 for an auto success and then roll the other 10, or the really scary guy with 17 dice can roll 11 dice with 2 auto-successes, and so on.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #273 on: <12-20-11/1317:20> »
Made an account just to say that I have yet to get to play or run my copy of SR4A, but the new Matrix rules work pretty much the way that I had to houserule it back in 2nd edition to make it work.

If I do run it soon (and I'm looking at the 6th World Almanac on Amazon and thinking this would be easier to get a group together for than Battletech: A Time of War) I am thinking that to keep the number of dice needed down, letting you turn dice into auto successes (on a 3::1 ratio) once you get pools to 13+ dice. That way you should not need more than a standard 12-die set of Chessex Six-siders.  So, for example, a guy with 12 dice rolls them all, but a guy with 13 can turn in 3 for an auto success and then roll the other 10, or the really scary guy with 17 dice can roll 11 dice with 2 auto-successes, and so on.

It already is possible to trade dice in for hits in some situations (can't remember what situations off the top of my head), and it conversion is 4 dice for 1 hit.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #274 on: <12-20-11/1749:52> »

It already is possible to trade dice in for hits in some situations (can't remember what situations off the top of my head), and it conversion is 4 dice for 1 hit.

If I recall correctly, it's basically like taking 10 in AD&D. You can do it whenever the stakes are low and there's no real negative consequences to half-assing it.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #275 on: <12-20-11/1804:15> »
Pretty much, although there is support by RAW for using it on Vehicle resistance tests for large armored vehicles as well.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
« Reply #276 on: <12-20-11/1813:10> »
Oh! I forget what book it was in, but there's also rules for abdolutely massive dice pools, with more randomness then buying hits: Take 1d6 for every 10 dice in the net pool. Roll them. Add the results to get total hits.

No specific rules for glitching were given, but it's safe to say you can't crit.glitch, given the minimum of 3-4 (depending on where GM sets the threshold) hits minimum.
― Albert Einstein

― Me

Crash_00

« Reply #277 on: <12-20-11/1817:34> »
It's out of War! I believe.

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #278 on: <12-26-11/2255:18> »
Hey All,

New to the forum, but I saw this thread and wanted to throw in my 2 cents.

I wanted to comment on the big troll with low Charisma not being able to use Intimidate effectively.  I've always looked at it this way:  If the Troll has a low Charisma, he might think he is saying "Listen you little puke, if you don't tell me what I want to hear, I'm going to rip off your head and give you an enima with it.", but what the intended target is hearing is "he he, can you tell me what I want to hear?  No, oh that's too bad, I really wanted to hurt you, but since you don't know what I want to know, I guess that's ok."

You have to remember that Intimidating isn't just convincing the target to give up the information, but also a matter of tricking the target into admitting he knows the information that you want to know.  Just watch any television show where the police are intimitading a perp.  Sure they can't intimidate with physical, but they still have the weight of the law behind them, which is intimidating in and of itself.  However, they still have to get the perp to own up to the fact that he knows anything at all.  A low Charisma Troll would easily believe that the target doesn't actually know the information.

If anyone remembers the show Night Court, Bull Shanon was the perfect example of low Charisma but intimidating size.  He could be intimidating to the average Joe (because of the size), but certainly not towards someone more charismatic. He would easily be fooled by his intimidatee.
« Last Edit: <12-27-11/0016:38> by Glorthoron »
"It's not enough to complain.  You have to want to be part of the solution."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #279 on: <12-26-11/2319:19> »
I give a bonus to looking mean to Intimidation, as long as all they do is loom.  Open the mouth, forget it.

It's not just size, either, however.  My stepfather was 5'5", 5'6" tops.  He loomed over anyone when he wanted to, no matter their height.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #280 on: <12-27-11/0018:46> »
It's not just size, either, however.  My stepfather was 5'5", 5'6" tops.  He loomed over anyone when he wanted to, no matter their height.

Isn't that the truth.  My former mother-in-law wasn't any taller than 5'  And she was the last person I would ever want to piss off.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #281 on: <12-27-11/1134:02> »
Height, however, does help.  My Father is over six feet (Well, was), and loomed quite well.

Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, but actually get him to the point of anger, and, well, you knew better than to cross him.

He's the cyborg of the family, too!  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #282 on: <12-27-11/1445:13> »
Several optionals of mine:

Charging:  because a persons size would determine how more effective a charge would be, I changed the attack roll dice pool modifier from +2 to -2 and dictated that the attacker adds Body/2 to the damage being done.  Certainly a troll charging a character would be more devastating than an average joe.

Counterattacking: I've implimented a fourth option to defending against a melee.  The ever loving counter attack which existed in SR up until the 4th edition.  You have to use a melee skill to defend with (not dodge), and you cannot counterattack while acting in full defence.  If the defender gets net hits over the attacker, he does damage back at the attacker.  This speeds up combat, but makes it a little more lethal.

Gear Concealability: instead of giving the perceiver a modifier to his perception test when looking for a target's hidden gun (this pretty much tells a player that an NPC is packing) I reverse the modifiers on he table and apply them to the palming test.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #283 on: <12-27-11/1452:54> »
Several optionals of mine:

Charging:  because a persons size would determine how more effective a charge would be, I changed the attack roll dice pool modifier from +2 to -2 and dictated that the attacker adds Body/2 to the damage being done.  Certainly a troll charging a character would be more devastating than an average joe.

Counterattacking: I've implimented a fourth option to defending against a melee.  The ever loving counter attack which existed in SR up until the 4th edition.  You have to use a melee skill to defend with (not dodge), and you cannot counterattack while acting in full defence.  If the defender gets net hits over the attacker, he does damage back at the attacker.  This speeds up combat, but makes it a little more lethal.

Gear Concealability: instead of giving the perceiver a modifier to his perception test when looking for a target's hidden gun (this pretty much tells a player that an NPC is packing) I reverse the modifiers on he table and apply them to the palming test.

The Charging alteration here might work for your table, but it adds complexity to the system for little or no decent benefit--in my opinion.

The Counterattacking could be interesting, but it could very well make the Counter Strike power of the Adept almost pointless by basically giving the ability to everyone.

The Gear Concealability could work all right. I'd have to test that one before knowing for sure.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Glorthoron

• Omae
« Reply #284 on: <12-27-11/1502:25> »

The Charging alteration here might work for your table, but it adds complexity to the system for little or no decent benefit--in my opinion.

The Counterattacking could be interesting, but it could very well make the Counter Strike power of the Adept almost pointless by basically giving the ability to everyone.

The Gear Concealability could work all right. I'd have to test that one before knowing for sure.

Charging: only comlex if someone doesn't know how to divide.

Counterattacking:  True, it would make that Physad ability redundant, but I'm ok with that.

Concealability: If you use it, let me know how it works out.