NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #255 on: <12-11-11/1951:33> »
Has anyone out there house rules Uncouth or the way social skills are resisted to make the big bad tough Uncouth troll untrained in Intimidation and 44 armor not easily intimidated by a trained dwarf with a pea shooter? It bugs me.

That sounds like -5 to the dwarf's pool for "Subject is physically imposing (3) plus subject is wielding an obvious weapon" with a +2 to the Troll for "Subject doesn't think character 'would try something so stupid'". That's a +7 swing on the dice and if that isn't enough, the Dwarf is just that badass and the Troll just that easily flummoxed and generally poor at reading people. I think it works fine. And, of course, there is always the wonderfully cheap 'Guts' for those who think their characters don't scare as easily as indicated.

However, something I would consider, is allowing characters to roll Willpower x 2 for resisting Intimidate, to represent strong willed characters who don't go around scaring people themselves but don't scary easy either. In general, Willpower x 2 is a good patch for if you don't like "You need these social skills to avoid getting completely owned by with them, no matter how mule stubborn you are". I would probably be less generous with modifiers if using that.

It does also though have the handy side effect of making even ranks in Willpower a bit more worthwhile.

p.s. Jayne is a hero and I wish I was Kaylee's gynecologist. That is all.

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #256 on: <12-12-11/0440:11> »
The Uncouth Troll automatically fails social skill tests he isn't trained in. Regardless of dice. Intimidate is resisted with Intimidation and Willpower, which is a skill test, so the pea shooter dwarf may be at minuses but if he gets 1 hit he wins.

Uncouth does not make sense to me. It sounds like antisocial, but it is executed as weak and easily fooled.

Sigh. Oh well.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #257 on: <12-12-11/0449:07> »
The Uncouth Troll automatically fails social skill tests he isn't trained in. Regardless of dice. Intimidate is resisted with Intimidation and Willpower, which is a skill test, so the pea shooter dwarf may be at minuses but if he gets 1 hit he wins.

Uncouth does not make sense to me. It sounds like antisocial, but it is executed as weak and easily fooled.

Sigh. Oh well.

Just hit me... just have the Troll buy at least one level of Intimidate. Problem solved. And, really, a huge Uncouth troll with no knowledge of Etiquette or Con would probably start smacking people to get his way sooner rather than later.
« Last Edit: <12-12-11/1247:05> by JustADude »
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #258 on: <12-12-11/1103:30> »
Ahh, should have read the quality description closer.

I direct you to Crash's suggestions back over the page.

CitizenJoe

• Ace Runner
« Reply #259 on: <12-12-11/1127:46> »
I had a character in another game system that wasn't terribly good at intimidation and he knew it.  So he would apologize profusely and explain that he has to cut off fingers and such to prove he isn't bluffing.  He does this first before he even starts to question them. 

Anyway, that is how you play an uncouth troll.  Start by smashing some fingers and have your face pull you off of them, explaining that you're not supposed to hurt them until AFTER they refuse to answer.

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #260 on: <12-12-11/1656:48> »
Well, if you smash them unconscious before asking questions that can be considered a failure on your intimidation test  ;)
My profile picture is a crop of Alfredo Lopez Jr  Mickey/Wolverine.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #261 on: <12-12-11/1848:34> »
Depends...  They can't resist the Magicians mind reading spells as well with a concussion.  :P
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #262 on: <12-13-11/0359:28> »
Depends...  They can't resist the Magicians mind reading spells as well with a concussion.  :P
But still, this is no intimidation.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #263 on: <12-13-11/1125:34> »
I find concussions intimidating.  Although, that might be because I somehow never had one.

Of course, if you're watching your good chummer get the concussion, it might be intimidation to the rest of the group.  ;)

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Big Peat

• Omae
« Reply #264 on: <12-13-11/1226:18> »
I find concussions intimidating.  Although, that might be because I somehow never had one.

Of course, if you're watching your good chummer get the concussion, it might be intimidation to the rest of the group.  ;)

I've had a few, I don't find them particularly intimidating... and I think if someone was interrogating me while I had one, I would genuinely be incredibly unhelpful as remembering what they want to know would not be easy if actually possible. In fact, I'd possibly rule that it hampers the Mage, as I can't imagine concussed minds are easily read.

When I say particularly intimidating, I mean no more intimidating than any other form of physical damage. The circumstances in which I took them were not ones I found intimidating. I imagine having an 8 ft Troll pound on me with no effective way of fighting back would be more intimidating. But that's the Troll, not the concussion.

I think you're right that asking the man's friends after the short term memory loss might be an idea though.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #265 on: <12-13-11/1711:39> »
"Never start with the head, it makes the person all groggy."  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Carmody

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #266 on: <12-14-11/0405:08> »

That is intimidating for sure  ;D

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #267 on: <12-14-11/0822:20> »
"Never start with the head, it makes the person all groggy."  :P

That really depend on which head you start with.
I'm not sure cattle prod to the groin makes you groggy...

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #268 on: <12-18-11/0608:31> »
Its Jayne, not Zane.

And my favorite line from the movie would have to be this:

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?

Holy crap, I didn't even catch my Typo.  I mixed up two series horribly bad.  Firefly and Incarnations of Imortality.  I feel like a complete failure.  I'm one Hell of a Browncoat as well.  Adam Baldwin is going to shoot me with Vera
« Last Edit: <12-18-11/0610:09> by ARC »
Living the Electronic Dream

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #269 on: <12-18-11/1056:50> »
Holy crap, I didn't even catch my Typo.  I mixed up two series horribly bad.  Firefly and Incarnations of Imortality.  I feel like a complete failure.  I'm one Hell of a Browncoat as well.  Adam Baldwin is going to shoot me with Vera
Good thing that Vera is a non-functional prop then.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11