NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #240 on: <10-05-11/1755:13> »
Why not?  Spies have been using optical tricks to do the same thing for many, many years.  Mirrored Windows are wonderful things.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #241 on: <10-05-11/1839:30> »
Why not?  Spies have been using optical tricks to do the same thing for many, many years.  Mirrored Windows are wonderful things.

In sun glasses? yes it's a little disorienting tho... xD
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Ryo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #242 on: <10-20-11/1603:36> »
Here's a little houserule I've been kicking around for a bit. Modifying the penalty on 'Called shot to avoid armor' from being equal to target's armor to being half your dice pool.

As it stands, there is never a situation where a called shot to avoid armor is a good idea. The only time you would want to choose it over adding +4 DV is against enemies with very high armor, but in those cases, you're most likely taking your entire dice pool as a negative modifier. Maybe if you're really tricked out to the nines, you'll have 4 of 5 dice left after a -16 penalty, but that's about it.

Halving your dice pool gives a nice kick to the pants for your shooter, while still making the option viable in those situations where they really need to bypass armor, like against that cyberzombie you just sicked on them.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #243 on: <10-20-11/1615:02> »
Here's a little houserule I've been kicking around for a bit. Modifying the penalty on 'Called shot to avoid armor' from being equal to target's armor to being half your dice pool.

As it stands, there is never a situation where a called shot to avoid armor is a good idea. The only time you would want to choose it over adding +4 DV is against enemies with very high armor, but in those cases, you're most likely taking your entire dice pool as a negative modifier. Maybe if you're really tricked out to the nines, you'll have 4 of 5 dice left after a -16 penalty, but that's about it.

Halving your dice pool gives a nice kick to the pants for your shooter, while still making the option viable in those situations where they really need to bypass armor, like against that cyberzombie you just sicked on them.

>.> Cyberzombie!

*fires his Slivergun with 8DV + called shot 4DV + Burst Fire 2DV = 14DV +5AP and then to top if off I'll edge the dice pool. Come on 23 dice don't fail me now because i took 4 of you out.... xD Hopefully the things Impact is also lower than it's insane balistic... xD)*

Anyways that's an interesting way of doing it, though I think it's rather unfair to those who have large amount of dice. Say you wanted to get around 6 armor and now all of a sudden if you have 20 base dice like my first character you'd be taking out 10 dice instead of 6. >.> Anyways just my thought.
Having access to Ares Technology isn't so bad, being in a room that's connected to the 'trix with holographic display throughout the whole room isn't bad either. Food, drinks whenever you want it. Over all not bad, but being unable to leave and with a Female Dragon? No Thanks! ~The Captive Man

Crash_00

« Reply #244 on: <10-22-11/2222:47> »
Our fix to the issue of called shots was just to allow multiple affects with the same called shot. We also allow partial armor negating shots (not sure if you can do that by RAW or not). I like the fact that its hard to call shots to negate armor. If I were going to completely revamp any part of the called shot, I'd increase the penalty for bonus DV  to a -2 or -3 per +1 rather than making the armor negating easier.

I think where the half your dice pool would really collapse is with NPCs.

If your average runner is anything like mine, they'll have Body*2+3 Ballistic Armor and Body*2 + 1 Impact Armor (more if you allow softweave in). With an average rating of 3, that is 9 B and 7 I. A typical corp sec can go from 6 dice to 3 (from 2 avg hits to one) and negate the runner's soak roll by 3 successes average (ends up being the exact same as if they had just called a shot for +3 DV). No big deal here.

Against a combat oriented character (lets say a high body troll Bod of 8) with 19 points of Ballistic and 17 points of Impact, the same Sec. Guard just cut the soak roll down from 9 successes to 2.6 successes average. That's considerably more than he'd get from taking a -4 for +4 DV. This is just a security guard, they shouldn't even have the skills to place well aimed shots into soft spots of an full SWAT Armored and Shielded opponent.

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #245 on: <11-03-11/0725:41> »
Our fix to the issue of called shots was just to allow multiple affects with the same called shot. We also allow partial armor negating shots (not sure if you can do that by RAW or not). I like the fact that its hard to call shots to negate armor. If I were going to completely revamp any part of the called shot, I'd increase the penalty for bonus DV  to a -2 or -3 per +1 rather than making the armor negating easier.

I think where the half your dice pool would really collapse is with NPCs.

If your average runner is anything like mine, they'll have Body*2+3 Ballistic Armor and Body*2 + 1 Impact Armor (more if you allow softweave in). With an average rating of 3, that is 9 B and 7 I. A typical corp sec can go from 6 dice to 3 (from 2 avg hits to one) and negate the runner's soak roll by 3 successes average (ends up being the exact same as if they had just called a shot for +3 DV). No big deal here.

Against a combat oriented character (lets say a high body troll Bod of 8) with 19 points of Ballistic and 17 points of Impact, the same Sec. Guard just cut the soak roll down from 9 successes to 2.6 successes average. That's considerably more than he'd get from taking a -4 for +4 DV. This is just a security guard, they shouldn't even have the skills to place well aimed shots into soft spots of an full SWAT Armored and Shielded opponent.

First off, let me just say that that suggested ruling is pretty sadistic. Take that as you will.

Secondly, my group must all run rather crunchy characters, because I'm looking at 19 Ballistic and thinking that's a little low for a Troll tank. Of course, it's even *MORE* ridiculous with a Body 10 Changeling Troll with a loaded out with extra Dermal Deposits, a Dermal Sheath, Formfit, SWAT gear, PPP (-Helmet, of course) and a Ballistic Shield (Grand total 33-B / 28-I), so your point is still quite valid.
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #246 on: <11-28-11/1829:49> »
Has anyone out there house rules Uncouth or the way social skills are resisted to make the big bad tough Uncouth troll untrained in Intimidation and 44 armor not easily intimidated by a trained dwarf with a pea shooter? It bugs me.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #247 on: <11-28-11/1844:14> »
Has anyone out there house rules Uncouth or the way social skills are resisted to make the big bad tough Uncouth troll untrained in Intimidation and 44 armor not easily intimidated by a trained dwarf with a pea shooter? It bugs me.

I know the DM that introduced me had a problem with that and he house ruled it to be that you can use Charisma or Strength in intimidation.

I can see it both ways, a big guy can scare you easily, or someone who seems to be out of their freakin mind can. On the same time, a big "dumb" troll isn't going to scare me too much. You could also add on some moddifiers for how they are threatening someone. I mean someone pointing a panther at me i'm going to be obliged to at least listen.... xD

Crash_00

« Reply #248 on: <11-28-11/1903:02> »
Not really, but wouldn't it be easier to make a new quality for the rude and irritable troll than to try and force it into Uncouth which isn't designed for it?

Uncouth people have no idea how to act in social situations. If you play an uncouth character and that dwarf is trying to scare you, guess what, you get scared. You piss your pant and cry like a baby, because you don't know how not to. You have no ability to cope with it. Its a 20BP flaw for a reason.

If you want to make your troll rude, obnoxious, and just generally a pain in the ass to be around, give him these:
Poor Self Control: What a Bastard (5 BP)
Characters with this flaw are generally  considered to be self important and have little care for others thoughts and opinions. While they think this makes them stronger, it also hampers their ability to successfully manipulate others. Character's with this flaw cannot purchase the Influence skill group and must pay double for every rank in Negotiation or Con. Characters without ranks in these skills are considered unaware in them. The GM may require these character's to make rolls for things that normally would not require a roll.
Sample Quote: Tell us where the stuff's at, so I can shoot ya.

Poor Self Control: Rude and Obnoxious (5 BP)
Characters with this flaw are unable to blend in with society. They either constantly feel the need to clumsily be the center of attention, or they just don't care enough to conform to polite standards. Character's with this flaw cannot purchase the Influence skill group, and must pay double for every rank in Etiquette. Characters with no rank in this skill are treated as unaware in it. The GM may require the character to make roll for things that normally would not require a roll.
Sample Quote: Little Kaylee here just wishes you was a gynecologist.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #249 on: <11-28-11/1919:58> »
Well in my sistuation there wasn't an uncouth, but now i read back to what i was answering i see where your post came from. XD

It's probably best that i don't understand what exactly is meant with that second example qoute.... <.<

Crash_00

« Reply #250 on: <11-28-11/1923:33> »
Its a bit from Firefly. One of the characters is a rude bastard about 90% of the time. It was considered his polite dinner conversation toward the guy that Kaylee fancied if that gets it across a bit better.

Zilfer

• Ace Runner
« Reply #251 on: <11-28-11/1924:28> »
Its a bit from Firefly. One of the characters is a rude bastard about 90% of the time. It was considered his polite dinner conversation toward the guy that Kaylee fancied if that gets it across a bit better.

I see, it makes a lot more sense now. Quite a thing to say at the dinner table...

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #252 on: <12-11-11/0653:34> »

I see, it makes a lot more sense now. Quite a thing to say at the dinner table...

Zane is such an awesome Character.  Though my favorite line in the series is from Zoe.  "Excuse me Captain, you're going to need to take the wheel.  I need this man to rip my clothes off"  She grabs Wash and his response is "Work Work Work
Living the Electronic Dream

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #253 on: <12-11-11/0834:12> »
Its Jayne, not Zane.

And my favorite line from the movie would have to be this:

Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: This landing is gonna get pretty interesting.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Define "interesting".
Hoban 'Wash' Washburn: [deadpan] Oh God, oh God, we're all going to die?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #254 on: <12-11-11/0914:07> »
If only the RPG was decent.  :(

Oh well, I got Airship Pirates now.  Very similar feeling...  Somehow.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11