NEWS

[SR4] House Rules

• 591 Replies

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #195 on: <09-20-11/0212:27> »
As for House Rules, the one I find most useful is no limit for Positive Qualities.  The more they spend on Qualities the less they have for Attributes or Skills.  Negative Qualities are still capped at 35.  Too many points into qualities takes away from the rest of the character.  Positive qualities don't seem to me to be too overpowering.  Positive qualities don't tend to be a game breaker.
Living the Electronic Dream

rasmusnicolaj

• Omae
  • Не бойся смерти
« Reply #196 on: <09-20-11/0239:56> »
As for House Rules, the one I find most useful is no limit for Positive Qualities.  The more they spend on Qualities the less they have for Attributes or Skills.  Negative Qualities are still capped at 35.  Too many points into qualities takes away from the rest of the character.  Positive qualities don't seem to me to be too overpowering.  Positive qualities don't tend to be a game breaker.
Yes, we do the same.

And has reduced some of the karma cost for being a mage. Magical active characters are a huge karma sink compared to the other classes.

Rasmus
Deplore killings made in the name of religion. Can't it just be for fun?

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #197 on: <09-20-11/0913:58> »
Yes, we do the same.

And has reduced some of the karma cost for being a mage. Magical active characters are a huge karma sink compared to the other classes.

Rasmus

I could see the potential to abuse the heck out of both of those...

...but the beauty of houserules are, you use them in a controlled environment.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #198 on: <09-20-11/1530:04> »
Yes, we do the same.

Rasmus

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

The thing is you always need more skills and Attributes more than qualities.

JoeNapalm

• Ace Runner
  • Ifriti Sophist
« Reply #199 on: <09-20-11/1716:29> »
Yes, we do the same.

Rasmus

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

The thing is you always need more skills and Attributes more than qualities.

If I'm building an honest character, sure. If I were looking to exploit that houserule, I might be willing to have a dumpstat and some skill deficiencies.

Again, the beauty of a houserule is that it implies that the GM is paying enough attention, in the first place, to be tweaking things - so the odds of the GM allowing a broken (or game-breaking) character a place at the table is reduced.

The game has to be written in such a way as to discourage that sort of thing, in general...a GM can examine things on a case-by-case basis.

-Jn-
Ifriti Sophist

Mason

• Ace Runner
  • You don't know as many spells as I do, omae!
« Reply #200 on: <09-20-11/1855:13> »
I don't know about everyone else, but I examine characters let into my game quite closely before giving the thumbs up. That being said, my particular group tends toward the extreme and the outrageous. Just ask Arc to tell the tale of our FIRST mission-part 1 of it anyway-and his dwarf street sam.

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #201 on: <09-20-11/2021:02> »
I don't know about everyone else, but I examine characters let into my game quite closely before giving the thumbs up. That being said, my particular group tends toward the extreme and the outrageous. Just ask Arc to tell the tale of our FIRST mission-part 1 of it anyway-and his dwarf street sam.

Yeah, Spyder is a bit out there, loud mouth and the weight of solid brass to back them up.  I will be making that omlette just to let you know.  Just wait.  It will happen.

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #202 on: <09-21-11/2020:39> »
Yeah, the potassium matrix they mentioned somewhere in -Unwired? Emergence?- in the brain probably messes with the control of mana.

This begs the question-can a person be latent one and have the other? A mage who burns out and suffers total magic loss and then becomes a technomancer later? Seeing as Essence Loss isn't the only way to burn out ^_^

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #203 on: <09-21-11/2108:23> »
Huh, well, I guess my rules don't really work under...let's call it FAW (fluff as written). So there you go, a very valid reason not to use these rules or change them to reflect FAW. I think I'd still allow it as a GM though, because I can't really see how it would significantly disturb the games balance as long as you can't use both at the same time.

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #204 on: <09-21-11/2129:46> »

Yeah, Spyder is a bit out there, loud mouth and the weight of solid brass to back them up.  I will be making that omelet just to let you know.  Just wait.  It will happen.

IF you make that omelet, IF you SURVIVE long enough to make that omelet, you will not survive the making of it. I swear this to you. All of dragon-kind will hunt you down and all those related to you, ensuring your complete destruction in this world and the next.

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #205 on: <09-21-11/2208:03> »
...please tell me he doesn't already have the eggs. please.

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #206 on: <09-21-11/2216:37> »
oh HELL no.

Valnar

• Chummer
« Reply #207 on: <09-21-11/2237:05> »
Thank. Goodness. Because if he did I'm pretty sure we'd all be screwed. And I really mean we as the people using these forums, because I bet our totally awesome and magnificent Great Dragon Overlords know at least one way of escaping the SR Universe and getting over here.
Not that I wouldn't be totally delighted if that happened. I am sure we would all be very happy to welcome our favorite most supreme beings into our world.

Please, just eat me quickly?

ARC

• Omae
« Reply #208 on: <09-22-11/0104:19> »
...please tell me he doesn't already have the eggs. please.

Spyder is a crazy braggart dwarf.  He still doesn't know who it was that was attacking his team.  But one way or another, that dragon is going to pay.  And I don't accept plastic...

Mason

• Ace Runner
« Reply #209 on: <09-22-11/1443:56> »
Yeah, good luck. If you go with the multiple implanted kink bombs idea...you might scratch him with that one.