NEWS

(2nd Edition) Mostly new player, having some rule trouble

• 5 Replies

Maltski

• Newb
« on: <09-21-15/1426:37> »
Heya folks,

Super quick back story so I don't look like a total fool here. I've loved Shadowrun for years. Read some old books, have the old SNES/Genesis games etc, but never had any game books or players interested.
About 10 years ago, I found a group who invited me to come play, however I wasn't able to make many games because it was a 2 hour drive (See I'm dedicated lol).
However I loved the game finally getting to play it, and recently the computer games have made me say "hell with it" and go hunting for the RPG books.
So I borrowed a 5th Edition Core from the gamestore I work at, and I wasn't a fan. I heard 4th was very similar.

Now the issue.
The group I played with 10 years back, they told me upfront they mixed some edition rules (they were all long time vets) I said no problem, just teach me what I need and what book parts not to use, and they did.
However now trying to learn the game from scratch and old books, and no one else who's ever played any edition around me it's proving difficult to say the least, so I am here to request some aid!

So I currently have 2nd Edition Core book, Street Sam Catalog, Seattle Sourcebook, and have about 4 or 5 other books in the mail. I believe most are 2nd Edition with a few 1st. (Posting this for future reference if I run into another problem)

I slapped together a character that was as close to my original character as I can remember, and went to dry roll some fights to see if I did it right and my understanding was on point and....well let's just say I failed miserably lol.

So, that being said, my dumb noob question here.
Can someone please in 2nd Edition terms, write out 3 "Gun Fights" for me, from simple to lots of rules/cyber? I know it's silly, esp since I played SOME version, but I'm finding + and - ratings on all kinds of gear, mods, skills etc, and it's just not panning out correctly. Also finding the target numbers seems much harder than just finding the range listed under the weapons.

Other related questions / confusion

One thing I DO know is very different from the mishmash I played is Armor. I remember various levels of armor stacking (not just using the best dmg rating type) and every one had to be penetrated and being able to dodge pretty decently (From research sounds like this was the dodge pool from 1st Edition?). So it sounds like Armor negates it's rating in successes, then roll Body with Armor? Seems odd , and Dermal just complicates it more for me.
Basically I'm lost as to what armor is doing. I do understand the Ballistic vs Impact portion though.

I also recall needing Recoil Supression Systems BADLY on my shotgun (Gas Vents) and I had something else on it, but reading the rules, it sounds like I can only have 1 Supression System on it (Either Vents or Shock Pad) and then could add the big harness thing later. So do the Shock Pads and Vents Stack? On that note, what rating are they taking away from? The success target number? (Again a combat example above would be marvelous)

Damage Staging. I understand the concept and read it dozens of times, but when I try and apply it, it's just not working (most likely tied to me jumbling up the combat system in general)
So looking at my sheet here

Ares Predator - 4M2 (6 Ranks in Firearms)

So it's Penetration Power is 4 (With my armor issues I have no clue how this factors in), It does Moderate Dmg (3 blocks) and 2 is staging, so every 2 Successes they don't absorb/dodge with armor, it becomes a Severe Wound
As I have Firearms 6 and no goodies, i'm rolling 6 Dice, plus any Pool dice I choose to use. Minus the Armor/Power issue, do I have all this right?

Now the Shotgun and some mods I don't understand

Enfield AS7 - 4M3
With Smartlink Hookup, and I have the Smartlink Palm thingy, (So target number reduced by 2, never lower than 1) Gas Vent 3 (So modifying rating by 3?) No shockpads for now, since I dunno if it'll stack
If I'm using Explosive Rounds, it says +2 Staging. The Shotgun already has a Staging of 3. So now I need 5 Successes to up the damage? And the shotgun is harder to ramp up the same damage as a pistol by default?
None of that sounds right to me, so I swear I'm doing this wrong, as it seems like the Pistol is flat out better than the shotgun per shot
Also I don't see Slug rounds versus Pellets in here, were Slugs not a thing in 2nd Edition?

and 2 quick non mechanics questions

I remember when I made my character, they had a "Character's History" type chart I got to roll on, to determine my past before being a runner. Lots of cool good and bad things were on it, and it actually made my character what he was personality wise and I loved it, maybe one of the best history charts I've ever seen in a game (or maybe I just got fun rolls) I have NO idea what book that was in, and if someone remembers this and can tell me I'd be very appreciative.

Is there any books from any edition you guys can recommend? As I'll be slowly building this collection up, I'd like to get the most useful / helpful books first. Cross edition is ok, long as it's easy to figure out (which sounds terrible since I don't even get the base combat / armor currently lol)

Sorry for the long first post, and thank you for your patience with me as I try and figure this out.

Cheers!

-J

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-21-15/1438:11> »
If you use the alternate Initiative in Run and Gun, you're basically playing 2nd edition with simpler damage codes and health as well as having attributes actually matter (beyond a couple of derived statistics and very minor differences in skill advancement).

The only improvement would really be going back to the Resources in character generation from 2nd and 3rd and rolling the "Wireless Bonus" stuff back into the various pieces of gear as all the time bonuses.
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

Maltski

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <09-21-15/1447:42> »
If you use the alternate Initiative in Run and Gun, you're basically playing 2nd edition with simpler damage codes and health as well as having attributes actually matter (beyond a couple of derived statistics and very minor differences in skill advancement).

The only improvement would really be going back to the Resources in character generation from 2nd and 3rd and rolling the "Wireless Bonus" stuff back into the various pieces of gear as all the time bonuses.

I'm wondering if this is what my old group did. I KNOW I didn't have this kind of trouble with damage codes and health before, and it did seem like all the stats beyond Body were pretty unhelpful as I was putting this guy together. I remember stats mattering a great deal. So grab the Run and Gun book from 1st Edition?
I haven't seen anything on the Wireless Bonuses, I'll go look into that. I haven't gone over Magic, Decking or non combat Cyberstuff yet, as I figured I'd just get more frustrated, so wanna hammer out the basics first. I will say all these memory costs / allocation appears to be a nightmare heh

Thanks!

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <09-21-15/1450:25> »

I'm wondering if this is what my old group did. I KNOW I didn't have this kind of trouble with damage codes and health before, and it did seem like all the stats beyond Body were pretty unhelpful as I was putting this guy together. I remember stats mattering a great deal. So grab the Run and Gun book from 1st Edition?
I haven't seen anything on the Wireless Bonuses, I'll go look into that. I haven't gone over Magic, Decking or non combat Cyberstuff yet, as I figured I'd just get more frustrated, so wanna hammer out the basics first. I will say all these memory costs / allocation appears to be a nightmare heh

Thanks!

You completely misunderstand. I was telling you how similar 5th is to 2nd, and what things are better and what things are worse about the new one.

Run and Gun is the weapons book for 5th.

Maltski

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-21-15/1523:07> »
Ah apologies. I did misunderstand.

It certainly seemed when I read through it that 5th Edition was a totally new monster compared to 1st / 2nd /  3rd Edition.
We probably have that book at the store, I'll flip through it next time I'm in

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-21-15/1547:16> »
I can definitely see how it can look like that, but having played since 3rd (found out just a few years back that we are using 2nd edition Initiative in our 3rd edition games), the general differences aren't really all that big.

1) Damage instead of being Light Stun, Moderate Stun, Serious Stun, Deadly Stun, Light Physical, Moderate Physical, Serious Physical or Deadly Physical, is just down to Physical and Stun with a number of condition boxes determined by Body and Willpower respectively.

2) Attributes mean something now (and in 4th) by actually being used for something other than a couple of derived abilities and giving a very slight karma discount on raising skills (the latter they don't do now).

If it weren't for some bonuses being taken out and tacked back in as Wireless Bonus, and if character generation Resources were comparable to 2nd and 3rd, it would really be the perfect edition. Though they do need to bring back more comprehensive weapon and vehicle modification as well as the comprehensive weapon and vehicle creation.