NEWS

[SR4] A.I. questions

• 37 Replies

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« on: <03-06-14/1549:15> »
Hey guys, I am rolling up an AI for my other half as she wont be able to join us all the time.

So a few questions to start with, when it comes to shooting using a done, does she use the gunnery skill or the specific fun skill or do they stack?

Also which attribute does she use or is it the sensor rating of the drone/vehicle she is in?

Also what are a good set of skills other than the Cracking/Electronic groups?

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #1 on: <03-06-14/1650:01> »
honestly, AI's are problematic. I'd keep away from them unless you've got a real thing for AIs. their bodies are seriously expensive to buy, not very concealable, they require quite a bit of GM fiat and almost play out like drone riggers a lot of the time.
Is your partner really into AI stuff? would they be ok with a hacker/TM?
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <03-06-14/1659:37> »
Whats a TM?

She is up for the AI thing and the DM is looking forward to playing with one in the group.

So able to help with the questions?

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #3 on: <03-06-14/1708:29> »
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <03-06-14/1713:40> »
Ah TM's are a NO and the AI is basically a drone controller with no body, we are sort of avoiding matrix combat for as long as we can :D

So shooting and things.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <03-06-14/1814:56> »
Ah TM's are a NO and the AI is basically a drone controller with no body, we are sort of avoiding matrix combat for as long as we can :D

Which is what every sane technomancer and AI does anyways.  :P

Curious as to the reasons for such an emphatic stance against technomancers, though...
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <03-06-14/1844:35> »
They take too much time away from the rest of the game, an AI might if we get caught up in too much matrix stuff.

So can anyone help me with the questions I came here to ask?

Nobody

• Chummer
  • Nobody was here. Nobody saw you.
« Reply #7 on: <03-06-14/1853:19> »
AFB just now, but I'm pretty sure AIs piloting drones function pretty much exactly like anyone else in hot-sim. Unwired has a handy table of common rigger rolls, iirc.

Skillsets are wildly dependent on what kind of AI we're looking at. Piloting and Mechanics are great for a pilot type. More important than skills, though, are the core programs, as they're a character defining trait. Do you have the origin of the AI pinned down? That informs a lot of the rest of the work, as metasapient AIs are very much an allegorical avatar of their old code selves. Even amongst similar character roles: A rigger type, for instance, could have started piloting a tank or a spy blimp and each one would end up with a much different personality and skillset.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #8 on: <03-06-14/1855:19> »
Wow, shadow.  A little easily pissed off, are we?  It's been 3 hours and you're already getting to the entitlement stage?

First - you posted this in the wrong section.  It should be in Previous Editions.
Second - you're asking about how to implement one of the most complicated types of characters available.
Third - you're verbally jabbing at the people who are trying to help you, simply because they want to know more.
Fourth - good luck finding help with an attitude like that.
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-06-14/1857:51> »
They take too much time away from the rest of the game, an AI might if we get caught up in too much matrix stuff.

So can anyone help me with the questions I came here to ask?

They don't do that in any way that's different from other Matrix archetypes.  If it's a concern for them, be aware it's a concern for any Matrix character, though the fully remote types (AIs and Full Immersion characters) might actually be worse for it.  That's actually why I was asking the question - so that I can actually give you good advice.  Based on your goals, I'm not sure an AI is the right idea...

As for skills, regardless of that...  Piloting and Mechanics skills would be essential, and the Pilot Origin quality might be wise.  Capabilities of her drones is a big question as well.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-06-14/1903:04> »
Ah no idea about a techno to be honest, just no its not on the cards. I have her Pilot origin as that just rocks.

She is looking to lay down heavy firepower at the moment, as with 3 LMGs to boot and 2 reinforced mounts I need to fill :D

So the main question is what makes her dice pool for shooting?

RHat

• Prime Runner
« Reply #11 on: <03-06-14/1916:00> »
Gunnery+Command, generally.
"Speech"
Thoughts
Matrix <<Text>> "Speech"
Spirits and Sprites

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #12 on: <03-06-14/1917:40> »
Thanks.

Gun wise I am thinking Ingram white knights, is there a better choice in drone mounted weaponry?

Mithlas

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <03-06-14/2016:12> »
You're correct that this thread is posted in the wrong subforum, but don't look for insults. lord_shadow read as perfectly conversational to me, and is asking legitimate questions. That an AI is even more problematic to handle than a spirit or technomancer is true, but not something that's necessarily reason enough to shut down the option.

As to drone weaponry, the Ingram White Knight is a great LMG, but like other MGs (or more generally heavy weapons) is a big weapon for serious firepower and suppression. It's cheaper and often easier to use carbines/assault rifles, and I've heard of successful riggers who've slapped sniper rifles onto blimp drones for their own overwatch. An AI would have the same issues getting heavy hardware that other characters would, in addition to having a LOT to pay for. As far as matrix combat and actions...it's an AI. That's inevitably going to come up, if not soon than eventually - unless your GM has decided to allow you to bypass the one main obstacle of an AI which can potentially be as bad an idea as a GM running a campaign with awakened and never running across Background Count. It's inconvenient, maybe dangerous, but it's part of the setting and should be there at least some of the time.

lord_shadow_666

• Newb
« Reply #14 on: <03-07-14/0700:20> »
I think I am the only awakened spell slinger and an adept so background count wouldn't hinder us to much :D

I had been looking at a few of the assault rifles, she gets 3 combat drones so I was going to do a predator/wandjina or out of This old drone as air support and suppressing fire armed with LMGs/ARs. Does the suppression stack? I only have ever used SS and SA weapons myself.