NEWS

Ares Macrotechnology and Insect Spirits

• 131 Replies

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #75 on: <12-10-11/2114:33> »

So let me get this straight.  Your 'oldest, Largest and most well defened hive from SR history' is one of the options from the Denver boxed set??  That's ... I can't begin to describe the level of presumptiveness there...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #76 on: <12-10-11/2116:18> »
Well, it's an option.  At his table, it could be.  At yours, it could not be.

That's the joys of options.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #77 on: <12-10-11/2203:17> »
Options /= canon.

Unless one of the devs ran that game.  Then anything is up for grabs.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #78 on: <12-10-11/2206:19> »
Well, it's an option.  At his table, it could be.  At yours, it could not be.

That's the joys of options.

Which is fine -- but he's voicing a belief that he apparently expects to be reflected in the canon.
Who wants me to REALLY scare them then.......................... Looking over Conspiracy Theories. It looks as if Plan 9, Snopes and all the rest have missed the oldest, Largest and most well defened hive from SR history.....

This is not 'well, at my table, we turned NORAD into teh biggest !nsect sp1r1t h1ve EVAR!!!!11!!!1!'  This is 'hey, you guys missed something, duh!' 
Pananagutan & End/Line

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #79 on: <12-10-11/2320:19> »
Hrm.

Interesting.

Innnnteresting...

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #80 on: <12-11-11/0026:17> »
Which is fine -- but he's voicing a belief that he apparently expects to be reflected in the canon.
Ah, missed that part.  My fault for skimming.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #81 on: <12-11-11/1157:19> »
"You shall pay for your insolence!"
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Simagal

• Chummer
  • Credo Quia Absurdum
« Reply #82 on: <12-11-11/1453:56> »
The problem is that all three options are canon, even when they contradict each other.
Andrew Grim

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #83 on: <12-12-11/1438:26> »
Wyrm, you are correct. I should have stated that this was my translation of what was there from the begining.
But i did put "If I'm right and that was the way it was suppposed to turn out, which we will never know now with all the writer turnover" so It's not like in that post I claimed it was Cannon.  I will word things more carefully in the future so as not to confuse people again.

Now that that is cleared up, I'm going to ask Wrym or Gun nut to expand on what was cannon from the Denver box. Which of those option did the timeline adopt?
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #84 on: <12-12-11/1851:29> »
DarkLloyd, In your tertiary post, you said that, yes.  Buried, yes.  I'd call that 'fine print', as it were.

As for the rest, I don't know.  I haven't been obsessively tracking everything down, I don't have a lot of the books, and right now I don't have anything but 4e PDFs, as the books I do have are not currently in my possession.  I also don't recall what you're saying about Sappho and Kalheim being played out post-boxed-set, but that's life.  I highly doubt that Ghostwalker would have let Sappho wander free, though.

The problem is that all three options are canon, even when they contradict each other.

No, they aren't.  You're confusing 'what is written as an option' with 'what has been written post-option-given'.  Options are, by definition, to be decided by the Game Master.  Later on, if you-as-GM are using the published materials as being 'what happens in your game', and they mention 'oh, X is what really is taking place' -- as they did, for example, in the Aztlan execution of Dzibitchalbakkawakkahoohaw (the feathered serpent whose name is bloody unpronounceable), where they specifically did not say he was a Great Dragon, because let me tell you that would have had even more serious repercussions (also, he wasn't at the big 'Great Dragon' conference in Survival of the Fittest) -- then that option and only that option becomes 'canon' for official SR world purposes.

I believe the writers have kept very carefully away from 'choosing' for the GM what most of those options were.
Pananagutan & End/Line

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #85 on: <12-13-11/0548:06> »
ISTR Sappho was canon-dead, either in Shadows of North America or the Commando Quarterly update on Denver.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #86 on: <12-13-11/1054:02> »
Ragged, what's the Commando Quarterly?
Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #87 on: <12-13-11/1100:14> »
It's the old CGL demo team magazine; it had a setting update for Denver ahead of the Season 2 Missions.  Link - not sure which one you need, I'm afraid!

Edit to add: It's this one, pg.12-20.
« Last Edit: <12-13-11/1107:32> by raggedhalo »
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #88 on: <12-13-11/2317:23> »
Useful to know.  My game is set in 2050 and Sappho is a major character for the team at the moment.  Can't see any mention of Sappho in the link below, will check out Shadows of North America.
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #89 on: <12-14-11/0501:27> »
TBH, I might be completely wrong.  I remember when I was planning my Denver 2070 (Missions) campaign that I had to fiddle with some stuff to have Sappho available as an NPC but this was several years ago and I could well be misremembering.
Joe Rooney