NEWS

Why cant missions be more realistic

• 60 Replies

Leigion

• Newb
« Reply #30 on: <06-21-12/0459:21> »
Mystic, thanks. I guess that summed it up its a budget thing, and cant go into two extremes off mainstream. I could see going more then two being a problem splitting writers on a handful of projects.

Bull,  I would like to comment on something you posted, but in order to i have to flip the two sentences around, ok. "You're average Shadowrun team should have a life span of two to three jobs before they're dead or in jail." That's exactly what the DM needs to say and make sure everyone is on board before upping the ante at the table. If a GM and a group wants to up it like this I also suggest telling the players off rip look out for snitches,undercover agents, and the underworld acts like the underworld. The team has to take precautions

"Security in Shadowrun is so pervasive, and the rules for tracking and finding people electronically or magically are so easy that you have to just accept that reality is...  broken." On the electronic tech used for tracking in shadowrun rfid, wi-fi, implanted chips, voice & face recondition screens even some nano machine stuff is right out of Popular Science Magazine. I was surprised to when it was brought to my attention as well. Majority of the stuff is like less then 10 years away. (not robotics or the matrix that's still little while down the road) If anything tech in shadowrun came closer to just around the bend then further away. In regards to the wi-fi stuff even military drones.  Basic how to up the ante and counter is by spike the bummer in this thread http://forum.rpg.net/archive/index.php/t-235629.html None of this do you really have to make special rules for just a basic cover your ass set of priorities. As far as the magic you guys did a alright job in the books explaining how to counter in bits and pieces.
« Last Edit: <06-21-12/0625:03> by Leigion »

Leigion

• Newb
« Reply #31 on: <06-21-12/0507:23> »
To raggedhalo, No i ment Vicarious number 3 in the defination you posted. Felt or undergone as if one were taking part in the experience or feelings of another, is how I ment it.
Before i forget Spikethebummer gets a little pissed in the thread I posted i just wanted to point out I am agreeing with his security points and how to keep privacy, not exactly everything he goes off about because he clearly gets mad the further you read it. I had to reread it myself just now. We took alot of what he said and used it in the campain we still play in. 
« Last Edit: <06-21-12/0535:58> by Leigion »

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #32 on: <06-21-12/0729:41> »
I'll just add my thoughts as well.  Don't forget that you have additional options for running games:  Shadowrun Adventures and Plot Sourcebooks.  They are excellent sources for hours (sometimes months) of running and are very flexible as to how realistic (or unrealistic) the GM wants to make things.  I took my own group into Ghost Cartels and we only made it half way through in six months of every other week gaming.  They are an option to look at if you find that Missions don't quite meet your need.

As Mystic noted, Missions can be adjusted quickly on the fly to meet the particular make up of the party.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #33 on: <06-21-12/1341:43> »
Great Muppet Caper, really Bull?

Oh, right, I had my group hired to kidnap Goofy from MouseCorp once.  Never mind.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #34 on: <06-21-12/1854:52> »
oh Ghost Cartels
my group did the first campaign
they have a healthy respect for plant spirits now

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #35 on: <06-21-12/2347:24> »
My group learned respect for plant spirits when the lawn started beating up their safehouse.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #36 on: <06-23-12/1116:50> »
I was wondering why missions seem, how to put this... completely nonsense/ unbelievable/ 0 common sense.

I don't see them as this way.  Allow me to explain.

Running "Back in Business" for the first time and running a Shadowrun Game in many moons and I have to say, the beginning is of "Back in Business" is very plausible.  It's like most any start of any Fantasy Adventure, except the Fixer or Headhunter figures you're up to a job.  A Shadowrun team is put together, and they are sent on a mission to retrieve someone.

It's just like putting together any kind of a team, really.  I don't see that as nonsense/unbelievable.  Now you have probably ran more missions than I have, but that's understandable.  But just to be clear to the Writers, I don't think the missions have 0 common sense.  If they were nonsense, I wouldn't be running them. ;D

The Missions series have to make sense, somehow, or people wouldn't be buying them and running them.  I don't have any of the Missions sales numbers in front of me, since Catalyst doesn't talk about such things.   However, I'm certain you are inaccurate in voicing your perception of the Missions series.  Perhaps more people disagree with your 0 common sense perception.  I'm not perceiving what you perceive about them, so I have to disagree.

wylie

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #37 on: <06-23-12/2255:48> »
Most of my players have enjoyed the missions so far.

Remember Shadowrun is suppose to be like a movie & we all know how unrealistic they can be

and just suspend disbelief for a few hours.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <06-23-12/2304:39> »
Looks at the dragons, the various types of metahumans, magicians, technomancers, electronic drugs, the governments of the world, the megacorporations holding court in a space station, and really bad beer.

Well, that last part is realistic.  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Black

• Ace Runner
  • Rocking the Shadows since 1990
« Reply #39 on: <06-23-12/2322:01> »
I often bring a six pack of american beer to the game so the players can more easily get into the feel of dystopic world of Shadowrun...  ;)
Perception molds reality
Change perception and reality will follow
SR1+SR2+SR3++SR4+hb+++B?UB+IE+W+sa+m-gmM--P

JustADude

• Prime Runner
  • Madness? This! Is! A FORUM!
« Reply #40 on: <06-24-12/0055:03> »
I often bring a six pack of american beer to the game so the players can more easily get into the feel of dystopic world of Shadowrun...  ;)

Hey, we Americans have plenty of good beer once you get away from the horse-piss like Budweiser, we just don't export it! :P ;)
“What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right.”
― Albert Einstein

"Being average just means that half of everyone you meet is better than you."
― Me

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #41 on: <06-24-12/0206:00> »
Canada exported the horses that make US beer to keep them from making it here.  ;D

The last one was finally removed from my hometown about a year after I moved away.  I think they're putting a bus station there now.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Hermes

• Chummer
« Reply #42 on: <06-25-12/1537:23> »

Hey, we Americans have plenty of good beer once you get away from the horse-piss like Budweiser, we just don't export it! :P ;)

I never tasted beer, but I thought Samuel Adams' brand is definitely a better brand than the "Bud."

Leigion

• Newb
« Reply #43 on: <06-26-12/0216:28> »
Seems I step away for a few days and the thread goes off the ice. To quote Mic from Give me shelter, as he's pleading with the Hells Angels"lets just keep it together people..keep it together"
Ok so Canray picked magic side of things to spell out nothing at all similar with the real world. So lets look at similarity of the real world to the Shadowrun world for a sec shall we. Lets talk about Megacorps Love em hate em Megacorps both worlds have em. So here some quick facts yes i'll give links out so we can all be on the same page. Lets scroll down and read United States and what it says a corp is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation 1650. Massachusetts itself was a corporate colony at that time -owned and operated by the Massachusetts Bay Company (until it lost its charter in 1684) Shadowrun calls that a conclave. In Shadowrun Megacorps control countries lets look at our Megas compared to countries http://www.businessinsider.com/25-corporations-bigger-tan-countries-2011-6?op=1 You all want one real example of a Megacorp where people don't have to leave and actually have thier own police force? Believe it or not, Disneyworld. Check out all the crazy legality's surrounding that spot of land. Believe me they aint the only one.

Speaking of privatized quasi law enforcement with all the gun totting tazer wielding patrol officers in cop cars patrolling neiborhoods that you'll ever need.http://paladinprivatesecurity.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1 Begining of Lonestar anyone?.. maybe. How about privatized Prisons with corps making HUGE paydata from goods and services http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison  Wait how bout a corp that is its own band of mercenary's  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackwater_Security So moving right along lets talk about Shadowrun tech vrs the real world http://www.popsci.com/ nuff said.
Corps micro-chipping and rfid tags that's definitely Shadowrun I'll throw 2 bones in this mix HR 3200 bill. Real bill talked about micro-chipping the public. Lets hear what mythbusters had to say about RFID chips and what megacorps had to say about it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X034R3yzDhw

So with all that being said and linked shit I missed magic didn't I ok Magic here's a toughy. So I'll throw some wood to the fire on this one. Let's not define is it real or is not for starters, because i am not getting into this whole do you believe in ghosts conversation.What i think we can all agree on is some people believe, so since Shadowrun just put out magical societies lets just go there and call it quits. Keeping it to Shadowrun theme magical societies that have some serious backing and political power here is two. The Golden Dawn had Mr Crowley as a member (congrats if someone gets that double reference) but what isn't well known is Bram Stroker was also a member, yes Canray, bloodsucking vampire writer. Lets go a head and bring the big gun out for the evening http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bohemian_grove Now can they do the boogety boo? Who knows but some people think they can and do.
All this brings me back to the original thread "why cant missions be more realistic." To me I see this gargantuan ball of yarn of real world stuff that can be spun into the game and played upon. Honestly I thought the reason had something to do with why mythbusters cant ever do their RFID show. Well that and what happened to GURPS Cyperpunk in the 1990's with the whole secret service raiding a role playing game maker over a book.
« Last Edit: <06-26-12/0332:17> by Leigion »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #44 on: <06-26-12/1150:53> »
Don't screw with MouseCorp.  They're called "The Magic Kingdom" for a reason!  ;D

#ThisTaserGoesTo11