NEWS

How to stop a cortex bomb

• 14 Replies

忍

« on: <11-29-18/1910:58> »
Presuming it has a remote trigger, what methods are available to insure a cortex bomb doesn't go off?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <11-29-18/1938:47> »
A few suggestions:

Bricking it before it receives the signal.

Keeping the victim inside a farraday cage.

Subjecting the cortex bomb to Jamming noise higher than the cyberware DR.

Of course those all would probably backfire and instantly kill the victim if the bomb goes off when it loses a "heartbeat" signal rather than when it hears a signal to detonate...
« Last Edit: <11-29-18/1941:28> by Stainless Steel Devil Rat »
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #2 on: <11-29-18/2047:58> »
Put the runner in a Faraday cage, until the bomb can be removed is basically the only really safe method.
So long as the Remote Trigger is a traditional RF based Detonator, which there is every reason to assume it would be.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <11-29-18/2054:07> »
Bricking it, to me is actually a very interesting concept.
I'd have to take very long look at what the device specifically says.
You can certainly build triggers that will go off should they suddenly stop having power, and bricking the device would certainly cause something like that to trigger. But It's totally possible that, cortex bombs aren't that detailed. Further healing matrix damage isn't a simple process for implanted ware. So depending on how much of nut your GM is that could a very easy way to handle that issue.
Thinking
com
speaking

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #4 on: <11-29-18/2111:41> »
Yeah it all boils down to the nature of the remote trigger.  Does the presence of a "go boom" signal make it go boom?  Or does it cease getting the "don't go boom" signal make it go boom?

You need to investigate your cortex bomb to know how the GM is gonna rule that...
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #5 on: <11-29-18/2133:17> »
aah Cortex bombs. The ultimate severance contract :D

Away from books ATM, but these things have always been nasty.  Sometimes they are a basic setup and easy to deal with. (remote controlled, block the signal and you're good). Some times they are incredibly complex with deadman triggers, (it doesn't get its signal, it goes boom!) anti-tamper circuits (the doc messes his roll, it goes boom!)...

Best to see if you are transmitting, or receiving a signal from the ware, as that might give you a clue to its set up... and give you an idea of what you have to do.

And if all else fails, duck-taping your head to the head of the person who implanted cortex bomb is usually a safe way to prevent it from going off :D
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

&#24525;

« Reply #6 on: <11-29-18/2215:37> »
And if all else fails, duck-taping your head to the head of the person who implanted cortex bomb is usually a safe way to prevent it from going off :D
Unless they've got one too!

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <11-29-18/2302:06> »

If nothing else it's points for style.
Thinking
com
speaking

&#24525;

« Reply #8 on: <11-29-18/2350:33> »
Anyway, bug scanner to check for signals. Jammer to block. Luck to guess right.

Jack_Spade

• Prime Runner
« Reply #9 on: <11-30-18/1654:19> »
I found hacking it and using format device to be the safest option to deal with complicated triggers.
Turn to goo is also a nice way to get rid of this particular piece of cyberware in the field. 
talk think matrix

To strive, to seek, to find and not to yield
Revenant Kynos Isaint Rex

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #10 on: <11-30-18/1656:12> »
Superwarhawk with XX rounds and a decent Cyberware Scanner.  Easy-peasy.    :P

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #11 on: <11-30-18/1658:19> »
Turn to goo is also a nice way to get rid of this particular piece of cyberware in the field.

that's inventive!
(+1 karma)
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

&#24525;

« Reply #12 on: <11-30-18/2319:39> »
My players have actually done that before... unintentionally. The goo didn't survive.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <12-07-18/1438:13> »
Presuming it has a remote trigger, what methods are available to insure a cortex bomb doesn't go off?
Haven't read all the other responses. Here's my list.

Faraday Cage - Unless the trigger is a dead man's switch setup where lack of signal for a certain length of time sets it off, someone in a faraday cage can't get the trigger signal from outside it, period.

Brick it - Matrix 101: A device that does not work, can't be told to explode.

Hack it - Matrix 202: A device that has its access codes changed can't be set off with the old codes.

Surgery - Unless it has anti-tampering software, cutting the thing out works. Of course, you need the skills and setup for that.

Turn to Goo - An old favorite. I remember it being talked about for stealing a Street Sammy's wired reflexes and other expensive ware back in 4e (the actual question was based on 'oh god, what happens to this person after that', but still), but it also works for getting a cortex bomb out of the guy's head. Remember, though, that the guy who used to have a cortex bomb is now going to have a hole in his head where that mass used to be.

Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ghost Rigger

• Omae
« Reply #14 on: <12-07-18/2222:31> »
Remember, though, that the guy who used to have a cortex bomb is now going to have a hole in his head where that mass used to be.
That sounds bad, but considering that the alternative might be having a hole in your mass where your head used to be.....
After all you don't send an electrician to fix your leaking toilet.

A Guide to Gridguide