NEWS

Questions about FAQ 0.3

• 24 Replies

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <04-03-16/0027:54> »
Another thing to bring up if you could; how does Biocompatibility (or indeed any grade ware above Standard) work with regards to implants that cost 0.1 Essence?

The question came up because of the wording of Biocompatibility, specifically this (emphasis mine):
Quote from: Chrome Flesh page 54
In game terms, the Essence cost of implants of the particular chosen type are reduced by ten percent, rounded down to the tenth. This rebate is cumulative with the reduction offered by the chosen ’ware’s grade, if any (e.g., the reduction for alphaware of 0.8 is reduced by ten percent, or 0.08, to become 0.72, and is rounded down to 0.7).

An implant like Cat's Eye at standard grade is 0.1 Essence, which assuming the character only has Biocompatibility makes it cost 0.09 Essence which then by RAW gets reduced to 0. I'm guessing there should be a stipulation in there about a minimum cost of 0.1 Essence to avoid possible exploitation like this? Granted, with Beta and Delta grade ware being rare, it's still not impossible to get quite a few pieces of Bio and Geneware at potentially 0 Essence, which seems to run counter to the whole "Everything has a price" dogma of this edition.

ETA:
And I just noticed that it's probably the cumulative reduction that's supposed to be rounded down to the tenth, as per the example with Alphaware becoming 0.7 instead of 0.72, but the question still stands.
« Last Edit: <04-03-16/0030:09> by Herr Brackhaus »

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <04-03-16/0321:32> »
Been a semi-official response to that since within a week of Chrome Flesh being released. Biocompatibility and Adapsin reduce the Essence Cost Multiplier by 0.1

As for ware that is taken below 0.1, what are you only tracking X.X not X.XX ?
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <04-03-16/0937:09> »
Excellent, thanks ScytheKnight. And yes, that is a related question; as far as I know, the book doesn't mention to which decimal you should be tracking Essence; 1, 2, 3, more?

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #18 on: <04-03-16/1201:43> »
Another thing to bring up if you could; how does Biocompatibility (or indeed any grade ware above Standard) work with regards to implants that cost 0.1 Essence?

The question came up because of the wording of Biocompatibility, specifically this (emphasis mine):
Quote from: Chrome Flesh page 54
In game terms, the Essence cost of implants of the particular chosen type are reduced by ten percent, rounded down to the tenth. This rebate is cumulative with the reduction offered by the chosen ’ware’s grade, if any (e.g., the reduction for alphaware of 0.8 is reduced by ten percent, or 0.08, to become 0.72, and is rounded down to 0.7).

An implant like Cat's Eye at standard grade is 0.1 Essence, which assuming the character only has Biocompatibility makes it cost 0.09 Essence which then by RAW gets reduced to 0. I'm guessing there should be a stipulation in there about a minimum cost of 0.1 Essence to avoid possible exploitation like this? Granted, with Beta and Delta grade ware being rare, it's still not impossible to get quite a few pieces of Bio and Geneware at potentially 0 Essence, which seems to run counter to the whole "Everything has a price" dogma of this edition.

ETA:
And I just noticed that it's probably the cumulative reduction that's supposed to be rounded down to the tenth, as per the example with Alphaware becoming 0.7 instead of 0.72, but the question still stands.

We'll add this to the next FAQ.
Ray Rigel
Former Shadowrun Missions Developer and Event Coordinator
Catalyst Demo Team

Hibiki54

• Omae
« Reply #19 on: <04-03-16/1610:53> »
Math isn't that hard when everyone with a smart phone or modern cellphone has a calculator.

It should be Quality followed by 'ware grade since the Quality can only be taken at character generation.
« Last Edit: <04-06-16/1935:02> by Hibiki54 »

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #20 on: <04-03-16/1641:47> »
The question wasn't math related as much as it was order of operations and intent related.

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #21 on: <04-06-16/1502:49> »
All these topics were covered in the last SRM FAQ call and will be included in the next FAQ release...which should be this month.
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

Herr Brackhaus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #22 on: <04-06-16/1659:50> »
Thanks for keeping us updated, sinthalix, much appreciated!

Teutonic Overlord

• Administrator
  • Omae
« Reply #23 on: <04-06-16/1951:56> »
Thanks for keeping us updated, sinthalix, much appreciated!

My pleasure!
Ray Rigel
Catalyst Demo Team

kyoto kid

• Omae
  • Bushido Cowgirl
« Reply #24 on: <04-23-16/2322:59> »
Yes, yes I've already read the new sections.

Noisquitoes.. lol, kinda saw that coming.  ;D

Anyway, the question I have for now is about the licenses. For areas like Augmentations and Magic is it much like with weapon categories?

EG a Headware License covers any amount of R headware. Or a Combat Formula License covers any number of Combat Spells. etc.

And.. considering how powerful they are, can't say I'm too surprised that a really tricked out cyberlimb could require 3 separate licenses, but still... wow.

I forsee my group hitting their contacts pretty hard for a whole bunch of licenses in the near future.  ;D ::)

Yes, that was our intention, category licenses apply to all items in that category, unless there is an accessory from a different category which requires a license as well.  Since the entire license topic was a loaded question, we wanted to give enough detail to apply it, but not so unbelievably much it became an exercise in a ridiculous amount of paperwork.
...OK, so say a character has two Ruger Warhawks (like my Bushido Cowgirl Adept who has the Ambidexterity quality), does one Pistols licence cover both guns or just one?.
Forsaken daughter is watching you