NEWS

Magical lights?

• 8 Replies

Hermes

• Chummer
« on: <07-11-12/1658:27> »
I've been watching a video interview with Graham Hancock.  Like him or hate him, he's presenting a lot of material on Atlantis.  A world wide Civilization before the melting of the Last Ice Age 12 thousand years ago.

Having found the Earthdawn Shadowrun timeline, I was trying to think on where to put lights that never turn off. You think they should be technological or magical?  He mentions the lights in the video.

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #1 on: <07-11-12/1736:01> »
If it's an Earthdawn link, it's magical.  Period.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #2 on: <07-11-12/1754:34> »
If it's an Earthdawn link, it's magical.  Period.
What he said. The tech in Earthdawn's time was of the Bronze Age variety, IIRC, augmented by magic.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #3 on: <07-11-12/1804:29> »
What leaves me sub zero cold about people like him and Von Danekin and others of their ilk right up to David Ike and his Lizard People is the building of fantastic towers of assertion built  upon deepity layers of supposition, wishful thinking and confirmation bias. The best and most honest answer in science when faced with a mystery or an anomalous result or undersea ruins is "We don`t know yet, let`s find out." Not drum roll please Maestro........... ATLANTIS!
I see this kind of reality denial as being in the same boat as evolution denying mystery cultists. Any "advanced" civilisation living next to and trading with any primitive/less advanced culture would send shockwaves through it that would leave permanent markers. ie Phoenician traders using pictograms as far as my very limited knowlege goes are responsible for the start and spread of the concept of written languages, at least in that part of the world? Argh, I appologise but gaaaaaah. Speaking of similar strangeness I used to believe credulity was dying out but we appear to be stuck in a race to believe the strangest sh1t possible. For example the concept of Otherkin thats new and bubbling up from the new age subculture.

:-* Anyway shadowrun and permanent lights. Anchored spell effect possibly but I`m not sure it would survive the drop in ambient mana as the Ages pass.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Gideon

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <07-11-12/2151:04> »
Pretty Sure The dropping of the Mana levels to below 1 would count as a disruption, so Anchoring would fail.

But, lumonous mushrooms from recently awakened mushrooms might act in the same fashions and "mimic" ancient light crystals that are just quarts in the 6th world.  This practice of "faerie" critters that come from "no where" is done to accomplish specific mystic ties to myth...  A Kaer that was illuminated by magic crystals and flowing fungus, COULD re-develope glowing fungus again... maybe?

TheVanguard

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <07-12-12/1135:07> »
Well said, DaveDaveDaave. Von Daniken is hilarious, though. "This Egyptian snake hieroglyph looks like a lamp to me. That's why I've constructed a lamp that looks like the hieroglyph. Now the most awesome thing happened: my lamp really works! This proves that the ancient Egyptians had artificial light!"

Somehow, I doubt that the Atlantean Foundation keeps his books in their vault.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #6 on: <07-12-12/1321:56> »
The strength of lighting is that it's a force multiplier for the brain. You're no longer limited to daylight, which means that when the sun sets and the fields aren't calling you over, you can read. This lets you turn your down time into education, which is *massive*.

(Modern example using solar lamps Here

Light also brings security when used around the edge of communities, letting you see the things that go bump in the night, reducing the number of nocturnal predators that your people fall prey to. IIRC, Earthdawn had most people moving underground, or at least into underground shelters to hide from the Horrors; light around teh edges, in this case, would be bad as the outsiders could see it, but deep inside would be fine. There're likely to be "airlock" designs, with twisting entryways, that allow guards to be stationed relatively near the front with light, but where the light wouldn't shine out into general view. A simple zigzag would be enough.

So, some would be found at the entry of cave systems, then vanish, then be found deeper inside, in the private sleeping areas of the people (Who would also have had simple covers, like baskets or wooden 'domes' that were long-since rotted away that would have covered the light sources in times of olde.) ... there's likely to be one building, either a place of worship or a central library, which would have had a LOT more of the lights, so it coudl be used by large numbers of people at all hours of the night.

In theory, the lights would all have winked out as the mana levels dropped, but you can have them go 'dormant' instead, or have one area where the mana levels never dipped all the way and it was juuust enough to keep some glowing crystals 'alive' through the  downcycle. In this way, you can have assorted crystal rocks having been found all over the place for forever, but no one knew what the significance was and assumed people gathered them because "They were pretty", until someone in the modern world discovers the one place where they *work* and goes "ah HAH! Hey! Check it! We finally uncovered what these damn things were all along!"

DaveDaveDaave

• Chummer
  • I like Pies
« Reply #7 on: <07-12-12/1358:11> »
Ok not got access to the dead tree books atm but Street Magic has some pretty odd Astral phenomenon such as mysterious appearing caves under cities and landscape being replaced by patches of the Astral. I`m just wondering of all the Kaers have opened and what you would find now in one that "returned" and  :o opened, ewww a restricted gene pool and a few thousand years. Ick.
An Awful lot of people believe a lot of very strange things indeed for no valid reason I can see. They can`t all be right but it is quite likely they all can be very wrong.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #8 on: <07-12-12/1627:54> »
Ok not got access to the dead tree books atm but Street Magic has some pretty odd Astral phenomenon such as mysterious appearing caves under cities and landscape being replaced by patches of the Astral. I`m just wondering of all the Kaers have opened and what you would find now in one that "returned" and  :o opened, ewww a restricted gene pool and a few thousand years. Ick.
You're assuming that the people in the kaer were actually alive for all that time. More than one kaer was broken open during the Scourge, and Horrors slaughtered all those sheltering inside. Sometimes, they decided to take up residence, and create cadaver men out of the former inhabitants to serve them. There's actually a bit of flavor text in one of the Earthdawn books about that, describing an adventuring party who uncovered one such kaer. The story was told by the lone survivor.

The Deep Lacuna is a good example of an alchera that is likely a kaer returned from... elsewhere. Especially with the reports of them dragging out elven bodies in strange clothes from some of the tunnels. And something is down there, because the spirits the teams send down are being disrupted. And they're sending powerful spirits. Personally, I believe it is either a Horror or Horror-construct of some sort down there.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters