NEWS

UGE and Goblinization

• 40 Replies

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #30 on: <12-01-11/1651:48> »
i should point out that SR1 also says that Trolls like living id dark, secluded places, like under bridges.

Yeah.
You know I don't take that as gospel, Bull, but you and I both know a lot of people who do, and have never let the myth die....
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #31 on: <12-01-11/1659:35> »
Yeah, it's the same "scientists" that named the races as dwarves/elves/orks/trolls. Not saying the names don't apply, but many an metahuman has not liked the JRR Tolkien stereotyping. Like some of these gems:

Dwarf
Quote from: SR1, p. 25
Populations form small family groups, an though they show isolationist tendencies, small enclaves are found in communities all over the world.

Elf
Quote from: SR1, p.26
In wilderness areas, they prefer to live in structures built of living plants.

Ork
Quote from: SR1, p. 27
Individuals goblinizing into robustus usually evince negative psychological effects, with severe psychoses and aberrant behavioral patterns common. Individuals born robustus may be socialized normally

Trolls
Quote from: SR1, p. 28
Goblinization from sapiens to ingentis adversely affects and individual's mental condition, often resulting in psychosis and aberrant behavioral patterns.

Although, Bull, if you goblinized, that sure would explain a lot. ;)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #32 on: <12-01-11/1736:46> »
i should point out that SR1 also says that Trolls like living id dark, secluded places, like under bridges.

Yeah.
You know I don't take that as gospel, Bull, but you and I both know a lot of people who do, and have never let the myth die....
I know one Troll that's Underbridge.
Although, Bull, if you goblinized, that sure would explain a lot. ;)
Explain what?  ;)
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #33 on: <12-02-11/1107:46> »
given that we havea magickal event that has recreated *fantasy races*, a higher ferilitry rate in one of them is that much of a stretch, given the shorter lifespan?
« Last Edit: <12-04-11/0011:13> by TheWanderingJewels »
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

TheWanderingJewels

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <12-04-11/0012:53> »
and as a homegrown modifer. I had for 5 points for Trolls and Orks for a background for 5 pts: Human Lifespan. Did it really add anything imbalancing? No, but it makes for interesting role playing when all of those of your race around you age and die a lot faster
Tech dreams of organic toys
And I'm runnin' out on the edge
Soft screams of the rockerboys
Echoing through my head

--Miracle Of Sound, City Of Night

Bull

• Ace Runner
  • Crotchety Old Ork Decker
« Reply #35 on: <12-04-11/0038:20> »
I know Patrick.  I was just pointing out one of those wierd, amusing little tidbits from SR1 taht's always amused me.  I've never really paid much attention to it myself though.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #36 on: <12-04-11/0848:03> »
So, where should we go for the real skinny on the Metatypes?

I want to know if my Hillbilly Elf can have hisself some steak and eggs!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #37 on: <12-04-11/1734:33> »
I'll admit that I never too intensely followed the 'archetypes' from 1st edition; my first character ever, the Wyrm Ouroboros (Elven Decker), has always been a big fan of Morton's of Chicago, a great steakhouse.  So ...

Elves have to be vegetarians?  I say enjoy your steak and eggs.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #38 on: <12-04-11/2355:13> »
Just thought it'd be a bit of flavor if I ever have him flashback to a family dinner of everyone having steak, while he's stuck with salad and a bit of chopped up chicken.  :P

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

raggedhalo

• Omae
« Reply #39 on: <12-12-11/0507:12> »
Just thought it'd be a bit of flavor if I ever have him flashback to a family dinner of everyone having steak, while he's stuck with salad and a bit of chopped up chicken.  :P

Chicken: not that vegetarian...

I'm pretty sure that even back in SR2, it only said that most elves are vegetarian.  So, I guess most of the "speciality dishes" of the two Tirs are going to be veggie, and agriculture there doesn't involve much livestock, but there's no such thing as pan-global elven culture.

Although, I suppose it's possible that elves may lack an appropriate enzyme pathway or something that allows the digestion of animal produce, which might be another way to explain it.
Joe Rooney
Freelancer (Missions and otherwise: here's my stuff, plus CMP 2011-05 Burn Notice)

My Obsidian Portal profile

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #40 on: <12-12-11/0743:21> »
Oddly enough, I have a small counter-culture in the Tir of Southern cooking.

Back when the first generation of ELves hit majority age (18-21), fir Tir na Nog, then Tir Tangire, gave clarion calls for "Homecoming" ... na Nog got a bunch of wealthy American Elves to fly over, largely from the northeast (New York, Boston, etc) to see what was up. Proto-Tir Tangire gave a more open "Any Metahuman" call and, more importantly, was in North America ... lots of impoverished folks who couldn't afford to fly to Ireland could drive, or even hitchhike, to the west coast. Quite a few were stopped at the Soiux border of course, but internal pressure from proto-Tir got the ELves through, along with a smattering of other metas. A big chunk of the Orks and Trolls were from the South, where racism was blatant and thought of the Tir as a sort of Promised Land, wher ethey could be free from all the hate.

Sadly for them, that part didn't work out so well.

Still, they brought their food with them and, while the Southern Elves largely conformed and joined greater 'Elven Society', the tusker underclass has a distinct Southern subculture. What little meat is locally grown pretty much comes from rural farms that are run by tuskers, and as they were a driving force in the early days of the uprising, a few staples got pegged as 'Freedom Food' ... most notably biscuits (Cheap, filling, easy to make and able to pass around in protest areas/stick in a coat pocket for later.)