NEWS

Format Issues and load times report of a new poster

• 5 Replies

markc

• Newb
« on: <09-09-16/1311:52> »
I am a new member and have been having trouble with the format of the forums. What exactly, well; broken pictures (link thumb nail), very basic format like you would see on very basic HTML page, very slow load times and or time outs.
Now I read the section on load times and I know that server maintenance/upkeep/bandwidth/cost can be a huge issue for game companies. But is there some other reason?

I do not know why before I was getting nice graphics and now I am reduced to almost basic HTML page on this site. The only thing I did was switch internet providers and it was fine until I bought my equipment and stopped leasing the equipment from the company. This is also the only website effected. Also if it is something they are doing it would be nice to know so i can try and get it fixed.
I also did have some other issues but I have fixed those.

It is a bit of a problem as the website, free materials and community feedback has been a great help to me.

Thanks
MDC

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-10-16/0707:10> »
Not exactly sure what to tell you...other than the performance issues, I've not experienced any of the issues you're mentioning. Are you experiencing the visual issues on the SR homepage as well as the forum?

The only "broken link" that I'm aware of is the "Lips sealed" emoji...it's never "worked" as long as I can remember.

Imladir

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <09-10-16/0841:49> »
Try to refresh your cache (ctrl+f5), it might as simple as that.
"Speech" | *Thoughts* | >>Matrix<< | ~Astral~

markc

• Newb
« Reply #3 on: <09-10-16/1447:12> »
Try to refresh your cache (ctrl+f5), it might as simple as that.

Thanks that did it. I will have to remember that in the future.

What I was experincing before the ctrl+F5 was basic html code with broken links and a format like html. So for example if you look at the Home button line on my PC it would have home on one line then under that help, under that search, under that profile, etc.

That was the main issue that was really throwing me as it was only affecting this website (the other one is affecting this and others of its type and is a internet provider issue, ie it thinks that since I am on the other side of the house that I am actually in another house trying to use the internet connection of another house. So it keeps asking me to register equipment and such which other computers on the network do not have to do it.)

Thanks again.
MDC

Reaver

• Prime Runner
  • 60% alcohol 40% asshole...
« Reply #4 on: <09-10-16/1837:25> »
Sadly, all those issues are server side, so nothing for you to fix.

The funky HTML issue comes up when the server tries to send you the code and craps itself. As mentioned above a refresh will fix these issues (as long as you're still not trying to recieve info from the server. In which case, wait a bit and try again).

I think they forgot to feed and water the Server Hampster again....
Where am I going? And why am I in a hand basket ???

Remember: You can't fix Stupid. But you can beat on it with a 2x4 until it smartens up! Or dies.

AJCarrington

• Global Moderator
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <09-11-16/0730:20> »
Hamster...I thought that was the upgrade option... ;) :-\

In all seriousness, there is some stuff happening behind the scenes on this, but nothing I can report on yet.