NEWS

Background music

• 77 Replies

FastJack

• Administrator
  • Prime Runner
  • Kids these days...
« Reply #15 on: <09-08-10/0145:30> »
Grab some old time stuff too. Sure, it's blatant, but if you start playing the Jaws theme during a game, you can bet for damn sure your players will start to freak out.

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #16 on: <09-08-10/0255:43> »
Grab some old time stuff too. Sure, it's blatant, but if you start playing the Jaws theme during a game, you can bet for damn sure your players will start to freak out.
Lol, i bet they will, well i did download stuff you told me about like Billy Idol : Cyberpunk which is really good.

I'm also discovering a lot of new groups thanks to all of you guys.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

Stalker

• Newb
« Reply #17 on: <09-08-10/0427:26> »
Funny. Most of the pieces quoted here are titles I'd never use, for one (or both) of these two reasons:
  • I almost never use music with dominant lyrics. It's highly distracting, especially if people know the text and start to sing along. Which takes us to the second point...
  • I never play music that is very popular or well-known, because players tend to hum along with the song (instead of paying attention to the game). Plus, it may create unwanted comic effects. If you don't believe me, just try to create a grave, menacing atmosphere by playing the Imperial March from Star Wars. I'll bet any amount of $s, €s, £s or ¥s that within a minute, someone in your group will start the typical Vader "Chhhhhhkchhhhhh", thus sending all seriousness to hell as the players start laughing their hoops off. :lol:

The OSTs of less popular movies and computer games, however, are highly suitable for RPG use. Just off the top of my head: Ghost in the Shell, Metal Gear Solid, Fallout, Max Payne, Iron Man, Unreal Tournament, The Island, Hackers, ... . "Regular" musicians: Vangelis, The Prodigy, Interlace, ... and loads of other artists doing electronic music.
« Last Edit: <09-08-10/0434:37> by Stalker »

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #18 on: <09-08-10/0724:08> »
Music played really depends on what the GM is shooting for as the tone of the game. That being said, I made a list from my collection:

X-Men & X-Men 2
Lethal Weapon
T2: Judgement Day (invasion of the jarheads?!  ;) )
Universal Soldier
Men in Black
The Saint
Total Recall
The Crow
The Matrix etc
Stargate SG-1 (sort of)
Angel: Live Fast, Die Never
Blade Runner
Halo 3

street.mage

• Newb
« Reply #19 on: <09-08-10/2013:06> »
Seether's 6 gun quota comes to mind!  ;D

I don't really use music in my games; too much stuff to prepare otherwise.

sidslick

• Newb
« Reply #20 on: <09-09-10/1307:04> »
I found a load of drum and bass tunes from the Eve online site which seem to do very well for creating a mood.......
Travel the world; meet new people; crush them for all they are worth!

Chaotic Insane

• Omae
« Reply #21 on: <09-09-10/2030:57> »
A lot of this will more be like... mood setters. I'm just going through my iTunes picking out things that go along with the setting but may or may not be game-over-able... I've starred the ones that are instrumental as I'm one of those people that just subconsciously starts singing along if I even know some of the words and I know how much that annoys people. And GMs.

*-The "Laced/Unlaced" album by Emilie Autumn. Instrumental classical violin+Harpsichord/electric violin+harpsichord+industrially techno-y bits of utter win. As much of a proud plague rat as I am, I don't even suggest anything of hers with lyrics though if you intend on trying to game over it. o.0;;
*-Ghost in the Shell. I'm sure there's instrumental stuff in there.
*-Any of the .Hack// games/anime music. I'm particularly fond of "Cyber Slum" Will come with and without lyrics.
-Aural Vampire is a pretty good techno/darkwave japanese band.
-Abney Park is just awesome. Their later work is more geared towards steampunk, but their older stuff is a bit more general-purpose awesome. Especially The Wrong Side. I believe it's rather fitting for the setting.
*-Nine Inch Nails. They have a TON of instrumental (and ACTUALLY free! Creative Commons for the win!) industrial diddies actually.
*-Silent Hill soundtracks! Dark-themed industrial goodness. I kinda worship Akira Yamaoka just a little bit.
-"Dragon Town" album by Alice Cooper, as well as the tracks "Dirty Diamonds," "Bad Place Alone," and "Nothing's free."
-REPO! The Genetic Opera. Hell. Just go watch the movie. Add in metahumans and I can guarantee you could make a campaign out of it.
*-I've always been fond of Apocalyptica for BG music...
*-Cirque Du Soliel. <3 Not actually instrumental but really, good luck following along with most of the lyrics.
-"Comalies" and "Senzafine" by Lacuna Coil
*-That one video game symphony (Play I think?). Love them.
-Stolen Babies if you don't mind a bit of screaming.
-I guess Shiny Toy Guns could work? I've only heard a little of their stuff.
*-Tartanic. <3 Bagpipe band with a modern twist.
-Voltaire's another "I guess it could work I haven't heard much."

aaaand that's everything in my iTunes.
"People say I hate the living. It's not true. I just happen to see the potential inside all people; those great things anyone can do if they aren't trapped in their own consciousness and morals. And when I unlock that potential, death is the side-effect. I can't help that." - Dr. McMourning

Teknodragon

• Omae
« Reply #22 on: <09-12-10/1033:34> »
Kraftwerk is good for classic Techno as well. And don't forget the Blade Runner soundtrack.

You rang?  ;)

At in-person games I've yet to see music being used. When playing online, I'll cue up a playlist consisting of metal, speed metal, heavy metal, and some techno.
Life is short, the night is long, and we still have ammo.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #23 on: <09-12-10/1039:44> »
For some reason, I've always loved revealing the hyper-cybered-up baddie with the song from the original Terminator movie.  The Terminator soundtrack works wonders for cyber missions.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Kubz

• Newb
« Reply #24 on: <09-12-10/2319:34> »
I have yet to try using background music.  I would love to but it seems waaaay to distracting. 
People are like slinkys.  They are a lot of fun to watch fall down stairs.

Doc Chaos

• Omae
  • Bavarian Mr. Johnson
« Reply #25 on: <09-13-10/0048:30> »
I have yet to try using background music.  I would love to but it seems waaaay to distracting. 

Run a one-shot and try it. You'll find its quite the opposite ;)
SR4A Limited Edition [german] - 0478/1100

Turtletron

• Chummer
« Reply #26 on: <09-13-10/1559:03> »

Run a one-shot and try it. You'll find its quite the opposite ;)

I agree, but sometimes it just depend of the players, some people are easily distracted, just try and see if it's ok for everyone.
(>) ...and I would have made it too, except for those nosey kids & their stupid dog...
(>) excerpt of The Smiling Bandit's taped deposition, Knight Errant casefile #E385h-0516

John Schmidt

• Omae
« Reply #27 on: <09-14-10/1808:10> »
I have collected a number of sound FX, guns, smg fire, explosions, screams, cars tearing off into the night, etc.. While I don't consider this background music and something that can be abused it can add a lot. First time I used it was for Shadowrun, the sound of man screaming as he falls tacked on a clip of a crash (like his body hit a parked car below). The startled looks that I got from my players was priceless.

Given the quality of even of the free software to modify clips, it might be something worth looking at.  ;D
It's not the one with your name on it; it's the one addressed "to whom it may concern" you've got to think about.

The_Gun_Nut

• Ace Runner
« Reply #28 on: <09-14-10/1816:18> »
My hearing is quite sensitive, so what constitutes distracting to me is on the subliminal level for my players.  I like moody music and themes, and they tend toward quieter tracks with more bass, which humans pick up on in a very subtle way.  It can really help set the tone for horror, too.
There is no overkill.

Only "Open fire" and "I need to reload."

Mystic

• Freelancer
  • Omae
  • Word Mercenary
« Reply #29 on: <09-15-10/2141:15> »
Ditto on the music being distracting. When READING Shadowrun, I do have some favorites.

KMFDM: with no particular song
Crystal Method: The Replacement Killers
Nightwish: specifically 10th Man Down, End of All Hope, and Ghost Love Score
White/Rob Zombie: Supercharger Heaven, Dragula, Black Sunshine (Riggers Theme), Living Dead Girl, and one I think is very appropriate for SR; More Human Than Human.
Pat Benetar: Shadows of the Night. (Laugh if you dare...)  ;)

I also have fond memories of listening to The Matrix soundtrack while reading The Dragon Heart Saga. Good times.
Bringing chaos, mayhem, and occasionally cookies to the Sixth World since 2052!

"Just because it's easy for you doesn't mean it can't be hard on your clients"-Rule 38, The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries, Schlock Mercenary.