NEWS

[5e OOC] Black Trenchcoat

• 314 Replies

Marcus

• Prime Runner
  • Success always demands a greater effort.
« Reply #285 on: <07-13-18/1133:50> »
I don't have any issue with that house, it will make all devices more vulnerable hacking I guess. But i don't think that's so bad.
*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #286 on: <07-13-18/1152:07> »
I was meaning my original ruling was the house rule, device Icons can not be seen if they are slaved to a host just like icons merged with a pan can not be seen unless they are a weapon as those are specifically called out in the rules.

As far as RAW on this, the paragraph specifically says you can not interact with them so their should be an errata I think if that is RAI, but that is probably out of the scope of this game at this point. Thank you very much for your insight on the matter Adzling.

5th Core Page 246,
The virtual space inside a host is separate from the outside grid. When you’re outside of a host, you can’t interact directly with icons inside it, although you can still send messages, make commcalls, and that sort of thing. Once you’re inside, you can see and interact with icons inside the host, but not outside (with the same caveat for messages, calls, etc.).

Bold is my emphasis.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #287 on: <07-13-18/1159:59> »
right, the point i was making was the wireless icons for slaves devices are not inside the host.

im cool whatever houserules you want i'm just pointing out what RAW is so we all have a common understanding.

and re: Pans you can see every wireless member of a pan regardless of device type.

I have argued against this in the past, because it's kind of dumb if everyone can see all items in your personal PAN as it would immediately make you a target for thieves ("look at that guy wearing a Gucci Loafers 2.0"). However it is RAW and RAI.

I think the rational here is that in theory you have two methods to detect wireless devices:

1). matrix signature (data traffic)
2). wireless signature (actual wireless frequency radio broadcasts)

while a PAN should absolutely be able to conceal 1 by passing your slaved device's data through the master and anonymizing the packets, it would have no effect on 2 which could be detected with radio frequency detectors/ sniffers etc.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #288 on: <07-13-18/1314:17> »
A wireless device (slaved or not) will always have an icon in the matrix (never in a host). Yes, you normally cannot interact with icons out on the matrix while you are in a host, however, while inside the host you are considered directly connected to its slaved devices even though they are out on the matrix. This direct connection let you interact with a device even if it is not within the host.

To spot a specific device you normally take a matrix perception test.
- If the device is running silent then it get to oppose the test.
Also, a device that is not running silent and is within 100m then it will be obvious and you don’t even need to spend an action to spot it.

You (the observer) can see every single device and file in a PAN, however, to reduce clutter most people choose to filter them out to only show a single PAN icon (except “dangerous” icons such as a wireless smartgun).

In SR5 you interact with devices directly. Similar to 2018 blue tooth except instead of 10m range SR5 devices can be interacted with from anywhere in the world. There is no “router” or “server” that you first need to hack. If the device is “paired”  with an iPhone then the device may use the firewall of the iPhone, but you still interact directly with the device (you don’t first need to hack the iPhone before you can see, interact or hack the device).

adzling

« Reply #289 on: <07-13-18/1316:23> »
agreed xenon, thanks for the clarity.

however the GM has his own houserules that we are rolling with.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #290 on: <07-14-18/1120:10> »
Is everyone around? :D
Thinking
com
speaking

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #291 on: <07-14-18/1126:56> »
Just letting people know posting will be a bit rough for me the store is needing a bit more of my attention this weekend I will try to get a post up today though.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #292 on: <07-14-18/1144:29> »
todays my in person table day.

so it's back to the GM's chair for the finale of the Cairo leg of my Masks of Nyarlathothep/ Ghost Cartels mashup campaign.

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #293 on: <07-15-18/0909:38> »
Checking in :)

I hope the stores ok Red, and I hope your game went well Adzling.
We ready to get back into the scene :D?

Anyone heard from our 3 missing peeps?
Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #294 on: <07-15-18/1150:42> »
great day yesterday, the team foiled the resurrection and only had to burn two edge points!

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #295 on: <07-15-18/1209:56> »
Store is good, My wife who runs it with me is out of town so weekends without both of us in store can get very hectic. Especially since it was x-wing store championships and Magic Core 2019 Draft weekend. :)

I was able to get a post up and will check back again later. Today is pathfinder day, another draft, Guildball practice, and my Shadowrun Missions game so it may be sporadic.

I haven't heard from the others but we will continue we will assume that their characters Idle along with everyone.

As far as the matrix thing goes we are going to use my interpretation for now both for pans and hosts. the icons merge with the pan and can not be seen separately unless they are a weapon and icons in a host can not be seen either unless you aren in host and you are in the host. I will start a separate thread out in general discussion to talk further about it sometime today as I still would like to discuss it more as this is an interesting topic to me.

todays my in person table day.

so it's back to the GM's chair for the finale of the Cairo leg of my Masks of Nyarlathothep/ Ghost Cartels mashup campaign.

This sounds like an interesting campaign.

Red

Thinking
com
speaking

adzling

« Reply #296 on: <07-15-18/1252:04> »
import that realm i sent you Red, it's all there mate ;-)

It's taken our table about 3 years playing twice a month to get from the start of Ghost Cartels through Cairo (the center point of the Masks campaign).

But oh.my.god. this is the most epic srun campaign i've ever had the privilege of running.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #297 on: <07-15-18/1330:26> »
Still around, was just waiting for next scene as been hammering the matrix stuff so far.
Always always get some drop outs on pbp so don't be upset if they don't show
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

Marcus

• Prime Runner
« Reply #298 on: <07-15-18/1434:20> »
Still around, was just waiting for next scene as been hammering the matrix stuff so far.
Always always get some drop outs on pbp so don't be upset if they don't show

Oh i'm not worried about it losing them, I just like to keep an eye on where we are.
I knew you would be around Csjarrat, the 3 i was talking about was our mages and our troll adept.
It's not a problem people are busy it's simply that I take the one post a day thing serous enough that I wanna try to stick with it.
I know we won't be successful at that, and that's fine. But A couple days and I do get nervous, there are some folk interest in joining if spots open up I think. I know i have a friend who would like to Join, and I think there was another in recruitment thread.
Thinking
com
speaking

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #299 on: <07-17-18/1646:00> »
In the interest of moving things on feel free to roll my perception as a teamwork action on searching the flat. Ryu is obviously most interested in electronic gear he can dig through for info as well as any cameras covering communal areas he can tap/retrieve info from or access devices like locks that might have timestamps for entry/exit etc
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor