NEWS

Magician/Rigger Style Character

• 2 Replies

Kato

• Newb
« on: <10-02-19/1959:28> »
Strange combination, but it's for an NPC and it is sort of an interesting concept so I thought I'd ask. My PC's are part of a much larger organization and NPC's are filtering into the campaign right now. They've met the pilot riggers, but there will also be ground support riggers. So I happened to be looking at spells and ran across the Fix spell and thought "that'd be kind of handy for a mechanic character." Then I started seeing other vehicle related spells popping up and I started thinking "I wonder if it is possible to put together sort of a magic based character that specializes in spells related to vehicles."

I mean, I know it is possible, but I'm wondering about the technical aspects with of making a gear head character who uses magic to repair and enhance vehicles in combat. I've always house ruled it that if someone chose B for a priority in magic (so starting magic 4) then that character essentially has 2 points of Essence that they can use for cyberware, as long as they realize they can't raise their magic up above 4 if they do use 2 points of Essence. It just makes sense to me that a player may willingly sacrifice a few points of magic for a small amount of cyberware.

So I'm thinking an aspected magician that has selected mainly vehicle related spells and has maybe a control rig level 1 or 2, or some other combination. Just putting thoughts on paper. It's kind of fun when you have to bring in a bunch of NPC's and can get creative.  ;D

CigarSmoker

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <10-03-19/0633:32> »
In 6th edition you can remote control vehicles using your mental stat as long as you are in VR mode. Trode net is sufficient.

So such a "Rigger" is actually quite effectiv you dont even need house rules. As you said B for magic, increase magic using racial category to 5. Now get control Rig rating 1 to actually be a "Rigger" now that char can pick 8 vehicle related spells. If you use increase Attributes with focused concentration or sustain focus to increase Intuition and/or Logic this is a Rigger with very high dicepools.

FST_Gemstar

• Omae
« Reply #2 on: <10-09-19/1041:13> »
For an NPC this works fine. There are plenty of vehicle  and technical spells (too many IMO), appropriate mentors, task spirits, etc.

Aspected magician works fine: take dedicated spellslinger, get 6 9, spellcasting focus, a mentor, etc. and you can cast plenty of thematic spells well enough without even a bin investment in Magic rating. Magic 1 adds a lot of play mechanics.

E Human
C/D atts
D/C aspected sorc/ or magician if you want
A skills (for pilot functionality, tech/repair, magic, and basic shadowrunning)
B resources (enough for vehicle, supplies, helpful ware [up to 2 essence worth], and a spellcasting focus).
« Last Edit: <10-09-19/1101:07> by FST_Gemstar »