NEWS

Al and Alyce - Second Chapter

• 393 Replies

adamu

« Reply #360 on: <03-13-17/1958:57> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

Both women did actually enjoy the meal and the conversation.  Alyce watched the back and forth between her companions and smiled.  She has never really been much into sport, but knows how some people can be rabid about it.  Alyce prefers to drink wine with her meal if it is available and takes a couple of glasses as she works her way through the very nice dinner.

On the way back to the train from the restaurant, a trio of street musicians had set up to entertain the evening foot traffic.  A young man and woman are playing violins, while another young man is sitting on a chair with a cello between his knees.  All three are dressed in jeans and wearing T-shirts decorated in the current psychobilly style.  Both violinists have long hair, although the woman's is quite a bit longer.  The cellist's hair is buzzed short all over.  Most of the people passing by push on without really sparing the young musicians a second look, but some stop to listen for a bit before moving on.  By the time Al and his companions leave the eatery and walk past them, the small group has collected a few bits of scrip and some coins in the battered instrument case in front of them.  Alyce holds the others back for a couple of minutes then places some scrip in the case as she nods to the three and waits for them to take a break between songs.  She holds out her hand to each one.  “You are very good, young three.  Do you take requests?”

The male violinist seems to be the spokesman.  “Bloody right, that.  You call and we’ll play it if we know it.”

The cellist calls out.  “We mostly do covers, but we do have some original stuff.”

Alyce turns to her friends.  “I think I will stay here and listen to these people for a bit, if you do not mind.  No need to wait unless you want.  I don’t think I will be long.  I’ll be fine here if you want to get back to the train.”

Grace nods and looks at Al, taking her cue from his actions.

Alyce turns back to the man with the violin.  “I sort of like the cello bits.  Do you have any covers of something Robyn Lysander has done?”

“The blind chick?  Sure, we’ve done her before, but let me make sure we have some music for that.”  He turns to the cellist, who nods, and then the young woman, who has not said anything yet.  As she nods, too, he steps closer and the three confer quietly for a few moments before the first man turns back to Alyce.  “OK, we have some of her stuff.”  He smiles and nods his head over at the sitting man.  “Jimmy says to tell you that he isn’t as good as she is, so don’t expect that.”

Alyce nods and the three begin to play a medley of some of her songs, plus a few covers of other string instrumentals.  Alyce lets the music wash over her and feels it begin the healing process for what she has been letting bother her.  The number of people watching the trio varies but is never more that seven or eight at a time as some stop for a bit and are replaced by others when they leave.  Alyce’s keen ear picks up the slight mistakes they make but they are neither so numerous or so blatant as to detract much from the overall sound.  When they break, she nods to them.  “You are all quite good.  Thank you very much.”  She motions for the male violinist to step forward and digs a credstick from her clutch.  “Here, give me your ‘link so I can give a better show of my appreciation.”

The man fishes a battered Meta from a pocket and hands it to Alyce, who slots her stick and transfers some money to him.  She hands it back and his eyes widen.  “Bloody hell, lady.  I think you put too many naughts in here.”  He hands it back to her but Alyce shakes her head.

“I never make mistakes with naughts.  Consider it an investment in your future.”

The young man, still a bit shaken, shows the ‘link to his friends, who likewise give Alyce some odd looks.  In the noise, she walks up to the cellist and touches his arm.  “I know a thing or two about playing one of these.  May I try, please?”

The man looks confused but the other says, “Hey, Jimmy, she just gave us enough to buy you a new one if it breaks.  Let her try it.”

Alyce shakes her head.  “No, Jimmy is perfectly right.  It is his instrument and he has every right to not want others to touch it.”

Jimmy looks at her and nods as he hands it over to her.  “Sure.  No problem.”

Alyce smiles at him and takes the cello from his hand and sits on the chair he had been using.  She pulls the instrument to her lap and leans over it, lowering her head and speaking to the cello in a voice so soft that the words are not clearly heard.  While speaking, she runs her hands along the wood, feeling the grain and the curve, and plucks gently at the strings.  The trio of musicians watches this and shake their heads.  Jimmy almost reaches out to take his instrument back when Jillian, the female violinist, takes his arm.  “Hey, don’t.  You remember when old Burnette got that new violin because, because,  Frag what was his name?  Right, Vinson, sat down and ruined Burnette’s old one?  Remember how the guy spent a few minutes before class talking to the new one.  We all thought he was crazy when he said we should always talk to an instrument we were not used to, just as a sort of introduction?  Looks like she went to the same school as Burnette.”

After a couple of minutes of talking to the cello, Alyce places it upright, takes the bow in her hand, and begins to play.  Jimmy is a good cellist, but Alyce is a great cellist and the difference in the way the instrument performs in her hands is clearly noticeable.  All three young musicians look on in amazement as she goes through two songs.  After silencing the instrument, Alyce looks at the violinists and waves her bow.  “You can join me at any time.”  Over the next half hour, Alyce and the two violinists entertain the passers-by and Alyce lets the music work its magic on her.  The small crowd of onlookers grows, as does the pile of coins and scrip in the violin case.  After the last song, Alyce stands and takes bows with the others and shakes hands all around as she gives the cello back.  Jimmy smiles broadly and shakes his head.  “I don’t know how you got it to sound like that, lady, but I’m not sure I could ever do that.”

Alyce nods and chuckles.  “I felt exactly the same when I was your age.  Keep at it and you will get better.  I see a lot of potential in you.”

At that time, a man steps out of the crowd and raises a device in the air as he takes some photos of the four musicians together.  “Tell me, Miss Lysander, what brings you to Bristol?  I am sure that the readers of ‘Music Times’ would be interested in knowing.”

As her three new companions turn to the man first then back to Alyce, she nods.  “Brian, right?  Aren’t you usually up in London?  You must be over here covering the concerts.  I was down here for a couple of days to take in the wonderful city and listen to some classic psychobilly.  And to get some impromptu practice in with these new friends of mine.  Why don’t you come see me in London in a couple of weeks and I will give you my impressions.”

The reporter is pleased that Alyce remembers him from the two interviews he has done in the past, but he also knows when an interview is over.  “Thank you, Miss Lysander, I will do that.  Now, then, if you will excuse me, I was on my way to cover another venue when I caught sight of you here.  It was nice to meet you again and I will leave you alone.”  The man bows and heads of to cover his story.  It is not unusual to find celebrities of all kinds at these concert events, and he is hoping to find someone with a little more star power than a concert cellist.

Alyce turns back to the others and shrugs.  “Sorry about that.  I was hoping to avoid that sort of thing.  Anyway, listen, the London Symphony provides music internships for deserving musicians and I think that the three of you have the skills to do well there.  You at least deserve the chance.  I am sending each of you the name and public com code for Judith Merimar.  She sits as the head of the selection board for this program this year and I would recommend that all of you contact her.  The internships are invitation only and those of us on the board are allowed to make recommendations for the positions available.  The selection board will meet in two months and I will be sending Judith a recording of your work that I heard earlier.  I wish you luck.  I am also sending you a link to the matrix site for the project so that you can decide if this is even something that you want to consider.  Now, I should be getting back to my train.  Thank you for a splendid after dinner evening and also thank you, Jimmy, for letting me use your instrument.”

The three young musicians are still watching Alyce with open mouths as she smiles at them and walks off towards the train.

adamu

« Reply #361 on: <03-13-17/2013:06> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

As during the first part of the walk, Al remained quiet the rest of the way back with Grace. Though careful to avoid seeming distant - he smiled, and made occasional brief comments on things they passed.

Once back to the train, Al plopped onto his bed and put on the trid. Called up Season Four of Uncle Shagrat's House - after today he seriously needed someting not serious. He left the door open for Grace to open, close, be on either side of. "Jist watchin' some trid, li'l darlin', welcome ta set a spell."

He pulled off his boots and tossed his jacket into a corner.

As he watched Uncle Shagrat apply his own brand of madcap wisdom to caring for his sisters' twenty-six children, he spent some time double-tasking on his 'link.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #362 on: <03-13-17/2354:10> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

Alyce  makes it back to the train and walks into the corridor leading to her compartment.  The porter they had confronted earlier is in the corridor and slides to the side to allow her to pass.  Alyce recognizes the man by his scent and stops to talk to him.  The man makes to move away but Alyce raises a hand to stop him.  "Please, don't go.  I would like to speak with you for a minute."

The man gulps but nods and stands his ground.  Alyce smiles at him and says, "Thank you, Dan.  First, I wish to apologize for our outburst earlier this evening.  My friend is very protective of me, and that means my feelings as well.  She heard you say something and reacted to that.  I believe that she overreacted a bit and would like to apologize for that."

The porter nods.  "Thank you, Miss Lysander.  Your friend has already apologized at great length.  And I owe you an personal apology as well.  Regardless of any other issue, what I said was deeply unprofessional.  I allowed a personal reaction to influence me and that should not have happened."

Alyce nods.  "Thank you, Dan, I think that we can all move on from this, don't you?"

"Absolutely, Miss Lysander.  Absolutely."

Alyce smiles again as she moves past the man and walks to her compartment.  She sees Grace laying on the bed, resting her head on her arms.  Al is apparently watching a trid of some kind in the other compartment.  She walks to the door and opens it, smiling at Al as she stands in the doorway.  "I am back.  I am sorry that I was a bit later than I had thought.  I had a good time and I think that the music helped me a bit.  Thank you for letting me stay, Al.  May I join you?"
"Speech"  *Thought*  <Matrix>

adamu

« Reply #363 on: <03-14-17/0851:12> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

"Door's open, toots. Pull up a chair. Ya watch Uncle Shagrat?" Sensing she might not be a fan, Al elaborated without awaiting a response. "He's this crusty old tusker, see, maybe thirty-five, forty - that's him with the scraggly gray beard an' the turd hat on - don't ask me why he's wearin' a turd hat, it'd take too long - well, ya really do gotta understand the hat ta git this episode's deeper themes - see that one ork brat with the pink dreds an' glowin' face tats - that's Groknarg, Shagrat's second sister Broktha's eleventh kid - second litter, right? - so he's eight in this episode - this kid gits up ta the most side-splittin' shenanigans...told his uncle the hat's a cultural symbol o' this Amazonian ork tribe he's studyin' at school, needs 'im ta wear it fer this project...o' course it all goes sideways an' backfires...especially once the chupacabras show up, irreverent rascals they are..."

And so Al carried on for some time, pausing occasionally to overcome his laughter, explaining the antics of the lovable old drug dealer as he tempered street smarts with love to keep his twenty-six nieces and nephews on the straight and narrow as hilarity ensued all around them.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #364 on: <03-14-17/1002:05> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

Alyce nods and sits in the chair next to where Al is stretched out on his bed and tentatively puts a hand on the bed next to him to see if he will take it.  She accesses the trid player and watches the show with Al.  She listens to his explanation and enjoys watching the program with him, but remains quiet, content to just have him near.

adamu

« Reply #365 on: <03-14-17/1102:52> »
Monday, August 4th, 2076

At some point amid the hilarity, around the time he was explaining how it was possible for Shagrat's sister Grundelhag to be her own daughter, Al realized that he was once again watching two-dimensional images flicker across a screen with a blind person. (He was pretty sure she couldn't see such things, but really still had no idea, so thinking it best to play it safe...) He made some comment about being all laughed out and switched over to a classical music show of some kind - dammit, he was going to have to remember his manners better. His ma would've had his hide. But when he'd turned the trid on it had been just himself and Grace, and then she hadn't been interested (some people had a hard time with more sophisticated types of comedy), and then when Alyce had shown up it had just slipped his mind....

Once again, listening to the longhair music - five strings, they called it chamber music in the program guide - he was impressed by how intricate and suble the music was. He as convinced there was a lot to appreciate there with a bit of training, which added to his respect for Alyce. He was, of course, equally convinced that the music bored him to tears. And to sleep - though he hadn't expected to be able to slumber, the sweet strrains of the strings soon had him snoring soundly.

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #366 on: <03-14-17/2325:26> »
Tuesday, August 5th, 2076

When Al wakes, he finds Alyce sitting on the chair next to him, reading her book and flipping pages in some sort of odd déjà vu experience.  The difference is that grace is also in the room.  She is sitting quietly in the other chair, doing something on her ‘link.  The difference in Al’s breathing alerts Alyce that he is waking up and she closes her book.  “Good morning, Al.  I trust that you slept well?”

Grace puts her ‘link down.  “Good morning, Al.  There has been a slight delay and the train is not leaving for another hour.  Do you want to go up for breakfast.”

Both women are dressed in their short sundresses.
« Last Edit: <03-15-17/0208:59> by Mercy Merchant »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #367 on: <03-14-17/2327:01> »

Al awoke with an uncharacteristic start. He was lying in bed, two seated women hovering. Beautiful women. His favorite women, but it was a disconcerting good morning for a man accustomed to waking alone. Well, that’s what he got letting his guard down, falling asleep unintentionally.

Not his fault - how was he to guess that he’d even be able to sleep at all? He had to hand it to this one, she had a way of solving his sleep issues. Something about her presence…no question she was special. And that just made him depressed.

No point showing it. “Yup, jist lemme have drain the lizard.” He staggered into the bathroom, emptied his overflowing bladder, and buttoned up.

“Wales today. Did I mention I never been ta Wales? An’ you two. How lovely can two women be. Let’s eat."
« Last Edit: <03-15-17/0209:26> by Mercy Merchant »

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #368 on: <03-15-17/0215:15> »

Alyce and Grace get up and leave the compartment with Al.  Grace nods as she says, "I have been here a couple of times to play a match.  We came by motor coach on both occasions and the scenery is quite nice."

Alyce shakes her head.  "I have never been, actually.  I had a medical conference scheduled once, but an emergency operation came up and so I tool the conference by matrix.  Not nearly as interesting.  I am glad that we will be taking the train here."

adamu

« Reply #369 on: <03-15-17/0831:31> »

On the First Class observation deck, Al spent some time concentrating on the stacks of bacon and Belgian waffles with which he'd burdened his plate. One thing about doing merc work for and with hippies and degenerate, he'd never eaten so well in his life.

It was another sunny morning, and the deck was awash with their fellow luxury class passengers, the few they knew, and the many they didn't. The tour's program included many social mixers, but they'd only ever done the one dinner cruise, so while a lot of the guests now seemed quite friendly, the three were mostly left to themselves. The Collinses smiled from a polite distance, but never managed to approach. Alyce's "dear" professor was a constant presence with his trophy wife, both clearly in some sort of hunting mode. Waiters bustled amid a dozen or so other couples dining in four- and sixsomes.

"Reckon first stop today's a little berg called Merthyr Tydfil, if I'm sayin' in correctly. Shit, I thought Russky was hard to pernounce. S'posed ta be a nice spot, with quick excursions up inta the Brecon Beacons area." He shrugged in the bulky bomber jacket that was too big on his slight frame. "Could be nice, assumin' they's nothin' better onna trid."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #370 on: <03-15-17/0957:05> »

The train starts moving as the three are eating and soon Bristol is behind them.  Alyce is eating her breakfast and sitting opposite from Al at the table.  She nods her head as she finishes a bite.  "Not sure if I could pronounce it any better, Al.  We can certainly take that excursion if you like, as none of us have really been in Wales before and a look at what is here would be nice.  Sounds like your heart isn't really in it, though.  Are you feeling well?"

Grace looks from one to the other of her companions and rises from the table as she pushes an empty plate slightly away from her.  "I think I will go out on the exposed deck to watch the scenery go by while I take a smoke.  Ta."

Alyce's face turns in Grace's direction and she shakes her head.  "So, Al, is there something bothering you?"

adamu

« Reply #371 on: <03-15-17/1032:30> »

Al could have said a lot of things.

He could have said, "Yeah, it bothers me some that I was a yellow-bellied coward, done things they ain't no goin' back from, an' now ain't got no right ta the happiness starin' me inna face."

Or he could have said, "Yeah, it bothers me that I want more'n anythin' ta make ya happy, but what ya want is somethin' I simply ain't got in me ta give."

Or, conversely, he could have said, "Yeah, it bothers me that yer sayin' I'm the loveless one fer not lettin' us self-destruct in each other's hopeless arms, when it's all this love you say ya got comin' out yer ears that's aimin' ta eat my fuckin' soul."

Or he could simply have said, "Yeah, it bothers me that yer so hell bent on bein' in my bed that ya made it impossible ta relax an' be friends."

Or, "Yeah, it bothers me that I called my car last night jist cuz I can't breathe without knowin' I got an exit route, but I can't tell ya about it cuz you'll melt down in a sea o' histrionic tears."

But all of those thoughts were far too abbreviated to be completely fair or completely true, and to make them so would take hours or days of tedious misunderstandings and possibly a number of pshychotic breaks. So he decided instead to say something that was, in fact, complete and completely true.

"Yeah, it bothers me the sun's shinin' cuz it hides her natural glow. It bothers me the wind's blowin' cuz its stealin' away yer scent. An' it bothers me they's people here cuz none of 'em's worthy ta share the same air as you. Other than that, toots, hell, they's times when all I gotta do is look across the breakfast table at ya an' ever'thing wrong with this fallen world jist comes out sunny fuckin' side up."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #372 on: <03-15-17/2217:31> »

Alyce listens to what Al says and waits to see what else he wants to say, but it seems that he is finished.  She smiles at him and shakes her head.  “Thank you, Al.  You have just said the nicest things to me.  I am glad that you feel that way because it puts words to my own feelings about you.  I do hope that you are happy, Al, because that is the number one most important thing to me.  I know that you do not like feminine words and emotions so I will just leave it at that for now.”

She lifts a plate.  “I think that I will go get me another slice of ham and ask for some more tea.  Would you like me to bring you anything?”

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #373 on: <03-15-17/2219:22> »

“Sure, woman, whyn’t ya fetch ol’ Al some more o’ them there waffles, lots o’ butter, not jist on top, but between each slice, then that syrup. An’ yeah, ham sounds good, right onna waffles, say five slices. An’ coffee, black.” What the hell, she was a woman, and she had a mutant memory. She was two steps away from the table when he called her back - just spoke her name quietly, knowing she’d hear, and knowing she’d come when called - shit, she was just too damned perfect to let go of - and when she turned he added, “An’ coupla them bananas, ‘long with a bowl o’ peanut butter.”

Grace rejoined them after a few moments, sensing that Alyce’s attempt at woman talk had not lasted long. By the time they finished, they were well on their way into the Welch Habitable Zone. The view was arguably better from up top, but apparently a lot of the other passengers thought so to. “You ladies’re welcome ta linger. Ol’ Al’s fer a seat by my own damned window."

Mercy Merchant

• Prime Runner
« Reply #374 on: <03-15-17/2220:48> »

Alyce smiles and makes three trips to the buffet line to bring Al his food and then hers.  Along the way, she arranges for some black coffee for him and tea for her.  Grace returns to the inside portion of the observation dome and drinks some tea with them as they finish eating.  Both women are quiet except for a couple of mentions of the excellently prepared food.  When Al is ready to go, Alyce makes to rise with him, but Grace puts a hand on her arm.  “Could the two of us remain up here for a few minutes?”  She looks over at Al.  “Woman talk.”

Alyce sits down and turns her head to face Al.  “We will be along shortly.  I was getting interested in the Uncle Shagratt story.  Do you think we could watch some more of that?  I am able to hack into the program and see the show as a feed on my 'link.  Unless you had something else in mind, of course.”

A few minutes later Alyce comes into Al’s compartment and sits next to Al.  He already has one of the episodes on and Alyce asks him to explain what is going on and actually enjoys the misadventures of the title character.  During a break between two of the episodes, she looks over at Al and says, “These guys are brilliant, Al.  They have taken many of life’s lessons and disguised them as the comedic failings and triumphs of this Ork and his sister’s family.  I can see why you like it so much.”  The train slows to make a scheduled stop at a small station so that a long freight train can go past and Alyce tenses a bit, then relaxes with a short sigh.

They are on the siding for perhaps ten minutes then get moving again.  After another episode, Alyce reaches into a pocket of her sundress and pulls out a folded piece of paper, holding it out to Al.  “Dinner will be just the two of us, Al.  Grace has decided to go home and get ready for classes.  She got off the train at that station back there and wanted me to give you this after it left.”

The note is written in a fair hand and addressed to Al Guthrie.  “I am a fairly bright girl and I know when I am in the way of something, even if I am not sure what the something is.  There is, of course, the chance that I am misreading the whole thing, but I am acting on what I am feeling.  I believe quite strongly that I am not helping either of you, and may even be causing more damage than you will admit.  I will never forget the kindness that you have shown me and recognize that I owe each of you, separately and together, a great debt for helping me find out things that I did not know about myself.  You took me into your life for a short few days, Al, and I am truly thankful that you did.  You have my com code, so please contact me if you want to talk about rugby or swimming and I hope that you think kindly of me on occasion.  I know that I am taking the coward's way out, but I am afraid if I look too long at either of you that all my words will be twisted up and you will tell me to stay and I will.  So here it is; so long, be you and be happy.”

Alyce lets Al read the message then puts out a hand to touch his arm.  “I do not know what she wrote to you, but I do know that it was hard for her.  She did tell me that I was a very lucky girl and I assured her that I know that.  I want to add my personal thanks to any she said for allowing……no, more than that…..for inviting her to come with us for a couple of days and then extending the invitation for the rest of the trip.  That was extremely generous of you and I want you to know I appreciate it.”
« Last Edit: <03-16-17/0240:18> by Mercy Merchant »