NEWS

Vibrosword vs Monosword

• 37 Replies

psycho835

• Omae
« on: <03-28-15/2226:32> »
Which one is better? Availability and cost are non-issue.

Weapon:                  Vibrosword(on/off)                      Monosword
Accuracy:                 6                                                 5
Reach:                     1                                                 1
DV:                           (STR+4)P/(STR+3)P                  (STR+3)P
AP:                           -2/0                                             -3

NOTE: A powered on vibrosword is useless in situations requiring stealth due to an audible hum. Also, a vibrosword requires a battery change per 2 hours of continous use.

8-bit

« Reply #1 on: <03-28-15/2241:29> »
A Highland Forge Claymore.

Being serious; the Monosword. Get a Personalized Grip on it, Accuracy 6 is good enough.

Adamo1618

« Reply #2 on: <03-29-15/0511:14> »
Vibro monosword. A burning vibro monosword. Or a burning vibro monoclaymore.

Really though. Depends on if your playstyle is Pink Mohawk or Black Trenchcoat. In open combat the vibro is superior, but then I'd just use a monofilament chainsaw unless I have high strength.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <03-29-15/0848:07> »

Being serious; the Monosword. Get a Personalized Grip on it, Accuracy 6 is good enough.
Already planned on getting one for whichever sword wins the competition.

Really though. Depends on if your playstyle is Pink Mohawk or Black Trenchcoat. In open combat the vibro is superior, but then I'd just use a monofilament chainsaw unless I have high strength.
Personally, I don't think something as big as a sword should have place in Black Trenchcoat approach in the first place, but I like having options. I guess the real question is: is 1 point of accuracy worth vibrosword's disadvantages? If yes - problem solved. If no - I need to look for a nice (non-vibro)knife to match my new vibrosword.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #4 on: <03-29-15/1939:34> »
AP of -3 always vs 1 extra point of damage and AP -2 some times (when charged). AP wins. Custom grip solves the accuracy difference. But honestly get either the katana or highland claymore/nadochi if big damage is what you want and concealment is not an issue.
Quote- Mirikon on 7/30/2019 at 08:26:51
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Turned in Toxshaman for ¥1 million/4 once.

Adamo1618

« Reply #5 on: <03-30-15/0545:02> »

Personally, I don't think something as big as a sword should have place in Black Trenchcoat approach in the first place, but I like having options. I guess the real question is: is 1 point of accuracy worth vibrosword's disadvantages? If yes - problem solved. If no - I need to look for a nice (non-vibro)knife to match my new vibrosword.

AP of -3 always vs 1 extra point of damage and AP -2 some times (when charged). AP wins. Custom grip solves the accuracy difference. But honestly get either the katana or highland claymore/nadochi if big damage is what you want and concealment is not an issue.

I usually count one point of damage as somewhat equivalent to three points of AP, unless I go against hardened armor. Going but that measurement the vibro has -5 AP when turned on against -3 AP for the mono. One more point of accuracy for less stealth. I don't consider the charge time limiting; batteries last two hours (you probably turn the weapon off when not in combat), and cost 25 nuyen each. Also money wasn't an issue according to OP.

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #6 on: <03-30-15/0855:08> »
That maybe be what the statistics say, but in actual game play some time that extra ap that i all ways there is more useful, hell a combat knife overall is better then what he listed as the virbosword stats, plus it is not restricted (or straight up forbidden). So with those thoughts either mono with custom grip (plus easier to hide when off), katana (acc 7 reach 1 dv 3+st ap -3), or if hiding the weapon doesn't matter highland claymore (acc 5, reach 2, dv 5+str, ap -5).

But those are my opinions and experience in the game.
Agreed. This looks like a 'training wheels' edition, that you can use to introduce someone to the setting, and then shift over to something like 5E or 4E. Like how D&D 5E is best used as training wheels for D&D 3.X.

Adamo1618

« Reply #7 on: <03-30-15/1602:01> »
That maybe be what the statistics say, but in actual game play some time that extra ap that i all ways there is more useful

Can you please be more elaborate? I might have missed your point.

And yes, I'd bring a claymore to a knife fight any day of the week :)

Rift_0f_Bladz

• Ace Runner
  • Go big or DIE
« Reply #8 on: <03-30-15/1855:56> »
Sorry, I am using "smart phone" instead of computer. What I meaning to say was: From personal experience during actual game play was higher AP can commonly be worth more than extra damage, especially if it can not be lost for some reason.

Lucean

• Ace Runner
« Reply #9 on: <03-31-15/0433:23> »
For a one-handed weapon I'd go with a Sword over both of these, as the base accuracy of +1 over the monosword is more important to me.

psycho835

• Omae
« Reply #10 on: <03-31-15/0842:23> »
And the winner is... *drum rolls please*
Monosword. There can be olny "one", y'know. :P

Also, two-handers are out, especially katanas (1. They are too cliche. 2. Our table uses stats for a standard swords for them, because NO, katanas are not better.).

8-bit

« Reply #11 on: <03-31-15/1039:27> »
(1. They are too cliche. 2. Our table uses stats for a standard swords for them, because NO, katanas are not better.).

Well, okay. People who work with swords would disagree, but that's your table. They are cliched though, I'll agree. Hell, the trids has everyone bringing one, feasible or not.

Senko

• Ace Runner
« Reply #12 on: <03-31-15/1347:30> »

Already planned on getting one for whichever sword wins the competition.

Depends on the area I belive Japan is supposed to have gone back to the wearing of swords as a fashion accessories and even salary men wear cheap wakazashi's (I may be mixing up my systems) so there not wearing a sword is more likley to make you stand out and I'd imagine there are other places/times it fits in.

Magnaric

• Chummer
« Reply #13 on: <03-31-15/1800:23> »
Well, okay. People who work with swords would disagree, but that's your table. They are cliched though, I'll agree. Hell, the trids has everyone bringing one, feasible or not.

Hate to be that guy, but I've 2orked with swords a fair bit, been involved with the SCA and various other medieval combat groups off and on for  years. Western longsword vs katana is one of those debates that will rage on forever. Short version is a lot of longs words could be used one-handed, whereas katana are generally meant for 2 hands. But there have been historical cases of exceptions for both (katana and wakisashi, hand and a half (arming or bastard) swords, etc.

Katana also generally suck at piercing any kind of armour heavier than fabric, but they slice flesh and bone like crazy. Longs words had a sharp, piercing point made to defeat plate armour, but they weren't necessarily any better than any other sword for unarmoured targets.

Anyways, I find no reason to change the stats of the weapons in Shadowrun, though I might supplant them for fluff reasons. Like, some eastern European merc wielding a tulwar might use katana stats instead of regular sword ones.
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

8-bit

« Reply #14 on: <03-31-15/1933:27> »
*snip*

I didn't say I worked with swords at all. I didn't even say the Shadowrun stats were justified in any manner. I'm just saying that Katanas and Swords are not the same. They do not handle the same way, they do not cut the same way; they should not have the same stats. It's their group's choice though, so it's whatever.