NEWS

Playing around with life modules.

• 8 Replies

halflingmage

• Chummer
« on: <07-18-15/1548:27> »
So, the following is a life module character.  I made no real attempt to optimize, but rather just came up with a story, a farm kid from the Tir who joins the military and goes on to be a mercenary and bounty hunter.  I rounded out his stats, took a modest amount of cyber, and made sure his primary combat skill and primary non-combat skill were at 6.  He needs 15 more points of negative qualities and has not purchased his non-augment gear yet. 

In terms of group role he is a secondary combatant with support skills in first aid, demolition, armorer, and various engineering skills.  He rolls 14 dice with a laser sight equipped shotgun and has 16 dice to dodge on full defense. 

While a priority or karma character would squeeze a few more dice out of him main skills, but I find him remarkably well rounded.  One thing that bothers me sometimes about priority characters is that there are never enough skill points for those minor/backup skills that a character should have based on background.  Honestly, I doubt I would have ever, ever put 6 points in Industrial Engineering on a priory character.  But it is kind of fun to have it.

Thinking of  "Sapper" as a street name.

Opinions, more on the life module system than the character, I know there are ways to tighten the build if I were using priority.

Dwarf 50 Karma
Nationality  Tir Tairngire 15 Karma
Formative Years Farm Living 40 Karma
Teen Years: Farm Living  50 Karma
Trade School  Mechanic 40 Karma
Tour of Duty Tir Engineering Corp 100
Tour of Duty Mercenary Engineering 100
Bounty Hunter 100

B 6
A 5 (7)
R 3 (6)
S 6
W 3
L 4
I 3
C 2
Edge 3
Initiative 9+2d6
Essence 2.9

Qualities:
Uneducated
Toughness (9)
Animal Empathy
Agile Defender 3

Negative
SIN National
Need  15 points

Knowledge Skills
Sperethiel Native
English 2
History 1
Street Knowledge Tir 1
Street Knowledge Counterculture 2
Pro Knowledge Farming 6
Interest Craft Brewing 1
Pro Knowledge Peacekeepers 4
Pro Knowledge Tir Military Vehicles 3
Pro Knowledge Foreign Military 3
Pro Knowledge Military Vehicles 3
Street knowledge Lone Star Procedures 3
Street Knowledge Crook Hangouts 3

Active Skills
Etiquette 2 (4)
Disguise 1 (4)
Con 2 (4)
Sneaking 1 (8)
Perception 3 (6)
Industrial Mechanic 6 (10)
Engineering Skill Group 3 (7)
Long arms 6 (13)
Pistols 4  (11)
Automatics 2 (9)
Pilot Ground Craft 2 (8)
First Aid 4 (8)
Computers 1 (5)
Gymnastics 2 (9)
Unarmed 2 (7)
Blades 1 (8)
Clubs 1 (8)
Armorer 4 (8)
Demolitions 6 (10)
Gunnery 2 (9)
Intimidation 1 (3)
Survival 1 (4)
Tracking 1 (4)

495 Karma on life path modules
90 Resources
Increasing Attributes 80
Increasing Skills 62
Buy off Uneducated 8
Additional Positive Quality 3
Edge 25 karma

Augmentations
Wired Reflexes 1 39K 2 ess
Reaction Enhancers 2 26 K .6 ess
Muscle Toner 2 64 k .4 ess
Datajack 1k .1 ess

50 K for Gear

8pts for Contacts
« Last Edit: <07-18-15/1550:51> by halflingmage »

halflingmage

• Chummer
« Reply #1 on: <07-18-15/1638:09> »
buggering toadstools, how do you keep a number 8 in a set of parentheses from turning into a damn emoticon. 

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2 on: <07-18-15/1930:19> »
buggering toadstools, how do you keep a number 8 in a set of parentheses from turning into a damn emoticon. 
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <07-18-15/2248:26> »

Opinions, more on the life module system than the character, I know there are ways to tighten the build if I were using priority.

Near as I can tell Life Modules do well with characters that are similar to what you created.  Non-magical, generic augments, combat focused.  Like you say, they wind up more well rounded / less focused than priority characters, but good enough in a few things to be effective and enjoyable. 

I haven't seen Life Modules do well with the more specialized characters, Mages, Deckers, whatever.  Skills just wind up too spread out compared to Priority builds IMO.   

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <07-18-15/2316:56> »

Near as I can tell Life Modules do well with characters that are similar to what you created.  Non-magical, generic augments, combat focused.  Like you say, they wind up more well rounded / less focused than priority characters, but good enough in a few things to be effective and enjoyable. 

I haven't seen Life Modules do well with the more specialized characters, Mages, Deckers, whatever.  Skills just wind up too spread out compared to Priority builds IMO.   

A Life Module Decker? I'm going to try to build a good one. I'll post when it's ready.

Glyph

• Ace Runner
« Reply #5 on: <07-19-15/0053:37> »

Adepts are pretty easy to do.  120 Karma and you are an adept with a Magic of 6, much less than the 200 you can spend on resources trying to get a good street samurai (although you can make a decent sammie with cheap 'ware).  Mages don't come out optimal, but they are still playable.  They tend towards low Edge and low physical Attributes with lots of skills.  Deckers are doable, although probably easier with the new modules in Data Trails.

fseperent

• Omae
« Reply #6 on: <07-19-15/0247:57> »
The Life Module Decker was an easy build with Data Trails.
Got Computer, Hardware, Software, Etiquette, and Hacking at R7.
Got a Renraku Tsurugi and a essence point of cyber and bioware.
Will post the build if people want it.

ZeldaBravo

• Ace Runner
« Reply #7 on: <07-19-15/0251:25> »
Please do. Actually, maybe we just need a dedicated life module thread? There's quite a bit of life module characters lately.
*I have problems with clarifying my point in English, so sometimes I might sound stupid or rude.*

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <07-19-15/0302:51> »
by leaving an empty space betweeen the 8 and  )
(8 )

HougH!
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8