NEWS

Double-barrelled Pistol!

• 10 Replies

Inconnu

• Omae
« on: <03-05-12/1617:16> »
I made a Predator with a underbarrel Light Fire.
on a headshot, i do 17 p damage. Of course, its gonna have problems with armor...

i paid 10 k for it, so i suppose it is the equivalent of taking a snipper rifle and making it a pistol... With awesome headshots.

First use- "He's dead, Jim." 15 damage. grunt.
Ow.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #1 on: <03-05-12/1655:01> »
Still like my Over-Under Double-Barreled Panther Assault Cannon for CAS Redneck Trolls.  ;D

"Ah winged th' census man!"  "Dat's a good boy."
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Crash_00

« Reply #2 on: <03-06-12/0126:59> »
How are you getting 17P?

The Predator does 5P base (9P with a max +4/-4 called shot). Even if you fire both barrels at once, the general convention used is that you get +1 DV with a -1 Recoil (see the PJSS shotgun and rifle) rather than the full DV of a second bullet (it's how the entire combat system works when using multiple rounds in a single attack). It's also treated as a single attack, meaning you don't get to call a shot with each barrel.

Keep in mind that calling a shot is a free action, and you only get one per phase, so to call a shot twice you'd have to spend a free action and burn a simple action to get another free action, meaning your shot would be your only action. This would, of course, only let you do the +4/-4 called shot twice if your GM is very nice, but is always useful for upping damage and negating armor for high DP characters.

Medicineman

• Ace Runner
« Reply #3 on: <03-06-12/0226:44> »
How are you getting 17P?
Probably with Houserules ?!!  ??? mehh

Hough !
Medicineman
http://english.bouletcorp.com/2013/08/02/the-long-journey/
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1V7fi5IqYw
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RYlAPjyNm8

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #4 on: <03-06-12/0705:29> »
I seem to recall a player trying to integrate a laser pistol with a ranged electro-static shock setting. Something about using laser-air ionization to create a path for the shock, so they would do both physical and shock (S) damage. Sounds awesome, but I couldn't find science to support it.

Not that I'd be adverse to hearing some...
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

BRKNdevil

• Newb
« Reply #5 on: <03-06-12/0828:11> »
but ingame there is something, pg 155 in WAR the ares shockbeam

Red

• Omae
  • Good plans load the dice. Good stories trump them.
« Reply #6 on: <03-06-12/0835:32> »
I know, but I'm not sure if you could fit BOTH of them into a single pistol. He insisted it be both a shockbeam and a laser.

Good eyes, though. :)
"My writing is more akin to a cook than a farmer: give me the pieces, and what comes out of it is greater than the sum of it's parts. Give me nothing, and I just stare dumbly. It's a failing, but then, it's also a living."

ShadowSea, for my players.
http://shadowsea.webnode.com/

Inconnu

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <03-06-12/1221:29> »
Different guns. My gm decided to make it do 2 seperate attacks w/ 1 roll for offense and dodge, but 2 for resistance.
Thus, the +4 damage applies to both
« Last Edit: <03-06-12/1251:50> by Inconnu »

crisses

• Chummer
  • You're out of my mind.
« Reply #8 on: <03-06-12/1253:17> »
Different guns. Me gm decided to make it do 2 seperate attacks w/ 1 roll for offense and dodge, but 2 for resistance.
Thus, the +4 damgage applies to both

Didn't know what to do with that.  There's a good point on the "how to deal with ss vs. burst" and just adding +1DV for a 2nd bullet (for game balance's sake).  Still, I had attempted to reason it out, as below...

(setting aside game fairness just to show realism for a moment...)

The burst fire is accounting for bullets in serial not parallel... i.e. in a series is bullet 1...split second...bullet 2...split second (rinse & repeat).  When in serial, if the target is moving (even if only from knockback via bullet #1), they will have shifted between the impact of bullet #1 and bullet #2.  This + "spread" from the shooter shifting between bullets being fired would account for a measure of imprecision between bullets at the target end, even if a burst is a "called shot".  The question there is whether you'd give a bonus on DV if someone was shooting a burst at an immobilized (bound & gagged, straight-jacketed, sleeping -- but not even "prone") target?  After a tight burst, the target should be dead so long as the attacker didn't jam their gun.

I figured that the bullets fired at the same time (in parallel), assuming both guns/bullets fire at precisely the same moment + speed + perfectly calibrated for trajectory precision, they would hit the target at the same moment with a very slight spread between the bullets (perhaps a 1-2 centimeters?).

However, that amount of precision is very unlikely...and we didn't account for that much precision in the planning/building of the item.  One would have to calibrate the 2 weapons to fire inline with the tiniest margin of error, because even minor flaws in a muzzle could alter trajectory by a fraction, thus causing spread between the 2 bullets.  Perhaps precision work would increase the damage (in real life, assuming this smartgun were even possible...).  Another flaw in this "parallel firing" logic is the speed of each gun.  They're not created equal, so they probably fire at different rates, rendering the bullets serial anyway thus more akin to burst fire.

(back to playability/game balance...)

Rendering this item down to the common denominator of burst fire works much better for game balance.  I might give it a +2 rather than +1 base DV, and remove the 2nd resist check (which basically balances to nearly the same thing with less dice rolls and time/GM accounting...).

The person whose head vaporized at the other end of this weapon was a dead man walking anyway....so it doesn't matter how it's been used before, it can work more in-line with RAW from here....

I have to send this player to the forums to discuss his evil new item plans... ;)

Thanks all for the assistance...

BRKNdevil

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <03-06-12/1400:41> »
i was thinking it could be like deus ex human revolution with the big ass white dude and have a transforming arm with two configurations
one for a concentrated shot and the other as a stunning blast.
but i'd think you should limit it to the laz pistol damage amount

DoomerEX

• Newb
« Reply #10 on: <03-06-12/1432:37> »
"You said I'm boring. My gun has two barrels. That's not boring."