NEWS

What would you play if you can't play Shadowrun?

• 76 Replies

Elfarcher

• Newb
« Reply #60 on: <06-09-12/0039:18> »
Pathfinder is fun. It has a lot of adventure paths (aka modules) and is a bit like DnD3.5. is always coming out with new material. I've ran and played in several games and even convinced my cousin's entire gaming group to play and  now they're hooked! It's high fantasy and chock full of excitement adventure and fun.

Mythik

• Newb
« Reply #61 on: <07-04-12/2351:18> »
Pathfinder, M&M, Dark Heresy, Star Wars

DarkLloyd

• Ace Runner
  • Stupidity this Good takes TEAMWORK.
« Reply #62 on: <07-05-12/0038:37> »
Yeah, I'm going to echo the masses praising WestEnd's Starwars D6. One of my Favorite games.

Next would be DnD 3.5. Either Ebberon (used to be Forgotten Realms, but the GM for Ebberon was just to fun to play with.) or the OGL offshoot X-Crawl!!!!!. Thinking back X-crawl is the most fun I've had in any DnD setting.

Battletech is Tied with DnD even if my group has disbursed all over the state and I can't play.

DeadLands after that.

Then : Cthuthlu, Stargate D20, and VOR.

Runing the shadows since '90
If you can't Dazzle them with STYLE, Riddle them with BULLETS.
"Sometimes we do the right thing.  Sometimes we shoot people in the face for money."-CanRay
"Sometimes those are the same thing."-Mirikon

Missions Characters:
ChromeMonger - Sam
Blanco Diablo - Adept

WSN0W

• Chummer
  • Never let a friend fool you twice.
« Reply #63 on: <08-06-12/2000:20> »
Eclipse Phase - It really opens up the flood gates to letting players and GM's explore what it means to be human. The books they are based (VEEERRRRRRYYYY loosely in a timeline sense, the Stack sense very closely) is Richard K Morgan's Altered Carbon which is absolutely a must read.

Star Wars - I prefer the SAGA (d20 system) over WEG. While I do prefer non-class systems, SAGA does class systems very well in my opinion and you can make some very unique combos. I have run both systems and while I have a true liking of WEG, I found I had to house rule a lot of stuff. Beyond the 'Jedi and Mooks' problem that comes in WEG at a certain Character point (Karma) level, the wild die induced lethality which makes characters get insta-smeared or on the 6d6 strength (Looking at YOU wookiees) side of things unkillable machines just makes for too many oops.

Mass Effect (Using SAGA) - I've made a home system for the Mass Effect universe using SAGA. It works rather well, though like any true adaptation is a contant work in progress. My players have love it. I'd love to play it, but that's the impossible dream.

DC Adventures (M&MM 3e) - I have found I love this system and for more than just superheroes. The combat is dynamic and smooth. The power level 'sliders' (Where you can be super accurate, but low damage, or high damage, but not that accurate) allows for good flavor while keeping the playing field nice and smooth (within a set powerlevel. A higher power level character is just...more.) The system just...works.

Dresden Files - Awesome setting, awesome RPG books, fun system. One of my favorite thing about the Shadowrun novels is the immersion the reader gets into the world. It's not a boring tomb of lore like we're chewing through someone's graduate thesis, but we're being exposed to snippits of datafiles with commentary from in game characters voicing (potentially misleading) ingame opinions. Dresden Files is written as an In World RPG by Billy (A major character in the series) that is about to go to the final production stages soit has margin notes by Billy, Bob and Harry as they have in character commentary about stuff. It's very well done for making it an interesting read and keeping the reader in the right mindset.

TheFinish

• Newb
« Reply #64 on: <08-07-12/0959:36> »
Dark Heresy or Deathwatch (I run Rogue Trader); All Flesh Must Be Eaten (generally in the far future or the Wild West); Mongoose Traveller; Eclipse Phase; Legend (AKA Runequest 2 but pimped up) and Conspiracy X.

I'm waiting to get cash enough to buy Yggdrasill and see if I can get enough people to play. Been aching for a good low fantasy norse RPG for a while.

I tried to get into D&D (3.5, 4th and Pathfinder) but it never really clicked. I used to play Warhammer 2nd edition a lot, lets hope FFG revives it (because 3rd edition is shite)
"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind"

WSN0W

• Chummer
« Reply #65 on: <08-07-12/1037:53> »
Though why not play Shadowrun AND something else. I had a GM that crafted a run campgin (That suffered death due to scheduling conflicts) where we played Shadowrunners that had a major focus on an In game MMO called the Dragon's Hoarde or something like that. For that aspect of the game, we made 4th Ed D&D characters and we played as our Shadowrun character's in game avatars. It was kinda .hack-eqsue.

It made for some great roleplaying because we were totally able to meta-game in the D&D side of things because it was truly 'a game' to our characters. It also had some interesting roleplaying aspects too. All in all, it was a blast of a concept and I might have to try to reimage it. You could easily switch out 4th ed D&D for...well, anything really. Given the full simsense potential of games in Shadowrun, it could truly be like having a whole seperate life.

TheFinish

• Newb
« Reply #66 on: <08-07-12/1308:22> »
An RPG within your RPG. We have to go deeper!

An interesting concept, to say the least. Sounds like tons of fun to roleplay. "Well, I'd do it like this, but my shadowrun character would do it like this!". Although I was never a fan of metagaming, valid reason or not.
"Pain is an illusion of the senses, despair an illusion of the mind"

WSN0W

• Chummer
« Reply #67 on: <08-07-12/1318:02> »
Actually, the metagaming was half the fun because it was part of the drama of the game with in the game. Some of the PC's were actually 'enjoying the job' and getting into the fantasy adventure IC'ly. Some of us started to 'power level' our characters off work hours and study up on fight mechanics for the game. Some called each other by our Shadowrun handles while 'in the MMO world' while others called us by our D&D avatar names.' It let us really explore the different ways people approach MMO's through the eyes of our Shadowrun character. One of the PCs, a grossly obese hacker in 'real life' (IE, his Shadowrun character) played a hot female character. It was amusing because while we 'knew' that it wasn't a 'sexy elf' and that it was 'Bob', but the game was so real, being full simsense, our avatars in the game kept thinking it was an elf.

Henker

• Newb
  • Mystic Adept
« Reply #68 on: <11-27-19/1753:06> »
Mostly D&D and VtM
 Both v5 are great and we have some campaigns runnings on these games
w40k Dark Heresy is also played time to time
Eighth and final rule: if this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight

topcat

• Newb
« Reply #69 on: <12-11-19/2311:23> »
Outside of my monthly SR5 game, I run D&D5 weekly and play Edge of the Empire monthly.  We randomly bounce between Dungeon Crawl Classics, SR4, and other assorted games monthly.  I'm running Dresden Files (Fate) and running/playing Call of Cthulhu in the near future as part of that.

So if we dropped both SR games, we'd still have plenty to play.
« Last Edit: <12-12-19/1419:03> by topcat »

skalchemist

• Omae
« Reply #70 on: <12-11-19/2324:45> »
Though why not play Shadowrun AND something else.
That's my attitude. I'm currently playing in a Shadowrun 6E campaign (really just getting started this weekend) and a D&D 5E mega-dungeon crawl that's been going for 35 sessions now in the Rappan Athuk mega-dungeon.  I'm currently running The One Ring, Masks: a New Generation (tied for the best superhero RPG ever), and starting Ars Magica 5E in January.  In recent memory (e.g. the past two years) I've played or ran Dungeon World, Star Trek Adventures, Cortex Prime, Blades in the Dark, and Twilight 2000 1E.  That's not counting one-shots.  So the answer to what I would play if a I can't play Shadowrun is all kinds of stuff!   ;)

I'm planning to switch to Far West in the winter or alternate.
I feel like that must be a joke?  I'm laughing through the tears, at least...   ;D

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #71 on: <04-26-20/1409:11> »
If I'm not gamemastering Sshadowrun, I mostly gamemaster Call of Cthulu.

I have also taken a liking to Star Trek adventures from Moedipus games
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #72 on: <05-03-20/0045:33> »
Numenera or The Strange from Monte Cook Games are fun systems.
I would also like to play some FATE style games or Blades in the Dark.
Oh - and I'd love to play a one shot or short campaign of Paranoia.

[Edit spelling]
« Last Edit: <05-03-20/0049:50> by cantrip »

Seras

• Chummer
« Reply #73 on: <05-05-20/1521:59> »

Oh - and I'd love to play a one shot or short campaign of Paranoia.

[Edit spelling]

Paranoia is epic  ;D...I have gamemastered and played it...definatly worth checking out
I apologise for my posts beeing weird to read, I am fluent in english, but almost never write in english anymore :-(

Chalkarts

• Omae
  • I'm a Street Painter in South Georgia.
« Reply #74 on: <05-05-20/1740:41> »
I'm very much into X-Crawl.
I've been trying to put an Xcrawl team together to play a regular roll20 game.
I paint the pavement.  It's what I do.  Check it out on Instagram, @Chalkarts