NEWS

Add-on Sim Module

• 7 Replies

ammulder

• Newb
« on: <05-04-21/1854:57> »
The core book lists a Sim Module (with optional hot sim) under electronic accessories... and the errata has stats for it (except for a device rating, notable only because the rest of the electronic accessories have one).

I'm wondering what you can use the Sim Module on.  Is a commlink the only thing?

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <05-04-21/1954:08> »
I believe that you can only use them with a commlink, yes.

Cyberdecks? Non sequitur. They don't allow you to access the matrix.  You have to use a Cyberdeck in conjunction with a commlink or cyberjack.

Cyberjack? Unnecessary. It already allows you to use VR.

Commlink? That's what it's for.  A sim module doesn't have a Device Rating because it's a modification for your commlink, it's not a separate device.

RCC? It's not a commlink, and in the case of riggers they already have a sim module thanks to their Control Rig.  If someone else is using a RCC, I do believe the RAW answer is "it can do what a commlink can do, plus these other things..." but it's technically not a commlink.  I know in 5e it was the case that anything "for commlinks" did not also work on RCCs.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #2 on: <05-05-21/0346:49> »
Cyberdecks? Non sequitur. They don't allow you to access the matrix.  You have to use a Cyberdeck in conjunction with a commlink or cyberjack.
p267 > All cyberdecks include hot-sim modules.

I'm not so sure about Cyberjacks, since they state they simply improve on the Cyberdeck. It sounds like they don't come with sim-functionality of their own, only enhance (aka: extra matrix initiative) the decks:

p176 > Cyberjacks are a fairly invasive piece of gear, implanted deep into the brain, and meant to interface more smoothly with a cyberdeck. While they can act as a simple datajack, they also perform the function of integrating the ASIST interface more directly, thus providing superior speed and response times.

And for Control Rigs:
p283 > It has a built-in sim module
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #3 on: <05-05-21/0638:43> »
It seem as if you need 3 things to establish device-based VR:
First of all you need to be connected to the matrix (by using a commlink, cyberdeck or RCC).
Second of all you need to have access to a SIM module (commlink accessory, using a cyberdeck or having a control rig implant).
Third you also need access to DNI (wearing trodes or implanting a commlink, cyberjack, datajack, cyberjack or control rig).

This is how I imagine it is all connected;

Commlink + Datajack Implant (or trodes or cyberjack and/or control rig)
Your persona is running on your Commlink
Your persona's matrix condition monitor is based upon the device rating of your Commlink
If your Commlink is bricked then you are dumped from the matrix
Your programs are running from the program slots on your Commlink
You slave devices to your commlink (max Data Processing number of devices)
Commlink (and cyberjack) give your network Data Processing and Firewall.
SIM module (needed for VR) can be attached as an accessory to the Commlink (or provided by a control rig)
Datajack (or trodes or cyberjack or control rig) provide DNI (also needed for VR).
To use matrix edge actions and increase VR initiative (optional) you also need a cyberjack
To jump into vehicles and drones (optional) you also need a control rig

Rigger Control Console + Control Rig Implant (and cyberjack)
Your persona is running on your RCC
Your persona's matrix condition monitor is based upon the device rating of your RCC
If your RCC is bricked then you are dumped from the matrix
Your programs are running from the program slots on your RCC
You slave devices to your RCC (max Device Rating x 3 number of devices)
RCC give you option to send same instruction to multiple slaved drones as one action
RCC give you option to share auto softs to slaved drones
RCC give you option to reduce noise
RCC (and cyberjack) give your network Data Processing and Firewall.
Control Rig provide you with cold-SIM module out of the box
Control Rig provide you with DNI
Control Rig let you jump into vehicles and drones
RCC+Control Rig give you option to jump between slaved drones without first jumping out
To use matrix edge actions and increase VR initiative (optional) you also need a cyberjack

Cyberdeck + Cyberjack Implant (or commlink+datajack and/or control rig)
Your persona is running on your Cyberdeck
Your persona's matrix condition monitor is based upon the device rating of your Cyberdeck
If your Cyberdeck is bricked then you are dumped from the matrix
Your programs are running from the program slots on your Cyberdeck
Slaving devices is not clear (perhaps the intent is that you still slave them to your cyberdeck).
Both Cyberdeck and Cyberjack provide you with edge actions
Cyberdeck give your network Attack and Sleaze
Cyberdeck provide you with hot-SIM module out of the box
Cyberjack (or commlink) give your network Data Processing and Firewall.
Cyberjack (or datajack or control rig) provide you with DNI.
Cyberjack increase your VR initiative
To jump into vehicles and drones (optional) you also need a control rig

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #4 on: <05-05-21/1043:58> »
I think we had this discussion awhile ago and came to the conclusion that cyberdecks connect to the matrix.  I don't see how, since they have a D/F of 0/0 it would have made more sense to put programs, persona, connection, etc on the cyberjack.  Or vice versa.... whatever device has D/F should be the matrix connector and program processor, and whatever has the A/S should be an add-on to the D/F base device.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #5 on: <05-05-21/1149:34> »
I agree with you on this, MercilessMing.  The device providing D/F should be considered the "master" device of the persona, so to speak. By my understanding (and I hope we can make it official) thats the device that suffers damage when your persona suffers matrix damage.  As is currently, thats unclarified as to whether your cyberdeck or Cyberjack/commlink stands to be bricked when your persona is data spiked.
RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.

ammulder

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <05-05-21/1217:32> »
In practical terms, bricking the cyberjack seems kind of cruel, compared to the external (easily repairable/replaceable) hardware.

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #7 on: <05-05-21/1240:40> »
In practical terms, bricking the cyberjack seems kind of cruel, compared to the external (easily repairable/replaceable) hardware.

Perhaps, and it hurts especially so in 6e where you take damage personally when an implanted deck/jack gets bricked... but that's basically the tradeoff you've weighed all along for an implanted vs carried cyberdeck.  Since cyberjacks have to be implanted, the choice now is "use the cyberjack for raw power, or link the cyberdeck to an external commlink for personal safety."

Of course, "protecting" your fairlight excalibur by hooking it up to a metalink to take the bricking is also problematic.  Hence the unofficial matrix faq giving a hierarchy of what gets bricked first.