NEWS

What are your favorite parts of SR mechanics, from any edition?

• 20 Replies

0B

« on: <12-14-19/1028:05> »
I've yet to find a player who likes everything about any single edition, but there's usually something that draws someone to the game.

Noble Drake

• Omae
« Reply #1 on: <12-14-19/1108:43> »
I've always been a fan of the way that magic hurts to use (even though some editions make it pretty easy to just not have that happen).

I've also seen a lot of players comment on the "chunky salsa" rule being cool.

Mostly, though, it's the themes and aesthetics that draw people in my experience.

GuardDuty

• Newb
« Reply #2 on: <12-14-19/1246:16> »
I think my favorite mechanic from the classic editions is the rule of six.  Declaring you're going to attempt something incredibly difficult (bordering on the preposterous) and then rerolling those dice trying to hit your target number was one of the things we closely associated with Shadowrun.  Needless to say, the release of 4E did not go over well with my group.

I also really liked the modifiers back then for magicians on the Paths of the Wheel from Tir na nOg (bonus in a certain county, bonus during a season, bonus within 72 hours of a certain holiday, etc.), despite being way overpowered.  Unfortunately, if you didn't have a good understanding of the Tir na nOg sourcebook, all the flavor for that was lost.

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #3 on: <12-14-19/1337:17> »
I will be a weird one probably on this one but my favorite mechanic in all editions was 1st edition Damage codes and the way damage was handled. It felt unique and when it went away the game lost its uniqueness in my mind. Especially since the game basically used the same system as Vampire the Requiem.

I also liked dice pools and miss them, especially the Combat pool. Their was something about the resource management in the game that I felt was nice.

and then I think my next thing would be I Like the new edge mechanics and hope to see this expanded on. I like giving more choices to players and this gives more choices to the player in what I feel is a fun way.

My last like will definitely not be popular but I am glad that armor no longer soaks damage. I really hate the unkillable character. many a game was ruined for me in missions because someone who could basically not be killed sat down and wanted to just rick-roll through every encounter like a bull dozer. RIP, I will not miss you. Now, I do think they could have went other directions with the way they tried to change this in the rules. Ways that I would have liked more but it was something I felt needed to be changed and it is currently in my favorite changes list.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #4 on: <12-14-19/1444:05> »
I've heard it get called a steam-roll, but never a rick-roll. Must've been one obnoxious PC.

As for my favourite bits, I do agree with magicians deciding how much Force to put into their spells, with more Force tiring them out faster, being a fun take on spells. I also like Essence & cyber/bio-ware, in that there was an upper limit to the amount of augmentation you could do, but it was harder to cast spells with cyberarms. I do wish there was a sort of parity, though, where there's a bottom limit on Essence and an upper limit on Magic (maybe with exceptions for dragons and similar).

As for controversial opinions, I was okay with Limits: instead of just being how to get the biggest dice pool, it put focus on how to get the biggest usable dice pool. It also made options for gear mods to increase Accuracy instead of just giving more dice/reducing penalties.

Also, rigging's fun, as long as there are ways to recover damaged drones, and anything that helps the hackers engage with the rest of the group is fun.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"

Redwulfe

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #5 on: <12-14-19/1500:15> »
I've heard it get called a steam-roll, but never a rick-roll. Must've been one obnoxious PC.

It seems it is a regional thing I have always used, but we used it basically like steam-roll. On a funny note I looked up Rick-roll as it caught me off guard that you or anyone didn't know what it meant and found out it has a completely different meaning.

Rick rolling is when you present a link and trick someone to click on it an it takes you to a music video of "never going to give you up." By Rick Astley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0
There are 10 kinds of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Red

*Play-by-Post color guide*
Thinking
com
speaking

0B

« Reply #6 on: <12-14-19/1838:52> »
Rick rolling is when you present a link and trick someone to click on it an it takes you to a music video of "never going to give you up." By Rick Astley

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0

That's the first time I've seen a link to that video with a description of what the video actually is!

I realize I didn't say what I liked... I also prefer the old system of rolling dice. Even though it is trickier to predict how much of a success you'll get, it's more fun to roll. Dice pools also tended to be smaller- 20+ dice pools in newer editions are fine if you're playing via computer, but sucky IRL. I'm not sure why, but rolling and rerolling 5-10 dice feels like less time than rolling 20 dice once.

I also preferred how perception worked. It doesn't really make sense to me how many game systems tie it to a skill, since I feel that it makes you skip over a lot of the exploratory parts of an RPG. But that's definitely a "taste" thing, since I'm sure some people prefer to just skip to the action!

My last like will definitely not be popular but I am glad that armor no longer soaks damage. I really hate the unkillable character. many a game was ruined for me in missions because someone who could basically not be killed sat down and wanted to just rick-roll through every encounter like a bull dozer. RIP, I will not miss you. Now, I do think they could have went other directions with the way they tried to change this in the rules. Ways that I would have liked more but it was something I felt needed to be changed and it is currently in my favorite changes list.

You are not alone. I feel like the High HP/High Defense archetype works a lot better in video games, since turns go a lot quicker. In a video game, if you do the same attack against a boss 5 times in a row, it could take only 2-3 seconds, and you aren't likely to get bored. In a TTRPG, if you're doing the same attack 5 times in a row without changing tactics, environment, or other aspects of the situation, it will get stale and the whole process will take much longer- I bet 15 minutes at the shortest with a very small group of players and enemies.

And on the player side, it also means that the player no longer has to think about combat. I get that different people enjoy different things, but with creating an ubertank, all the fun/challenge is during character creation. Once you get to the game board, you just do the optimized attack again and again. I'd call it powergaming if it wasn't the "assumed" thing to do for any Samurai in 5e.

Still, I wanted to say the things that I like about the different editions. I do like the conversion of physical damage to stun damage depending on armor.
« Last Edit: <12-14-19/1845:22> by 0B »

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #7 on: <12-15-19/2356:01> »
The Addiction Rules.   ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #8 on: <12-16-19/0651:51> »
You monster. 8)
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

mcv

• Chummer
« Reply #9 on: <12-16-19/0743:03> »
Favourite mechanics, not edition specific, are the initiative rules (I prefer the 3rd-5th version, but they all amount to the same thing) and spellcasting limited by drain.

These have gone through various iterations across the editions, all with their own advantages and disadvantages.

Singling out a favourite edition-specific mechanic is hard. I do like how 3rd edition fixed the 2nd edition problems with initiative. I kinda liked the funky dice mechanic of the classic editions, but in practice it made too little sense. The more boring way dice worked in editions 4+ makes a lot more sense.

I also like how getting wounded makes you less effective before it kills you. The D&D way where you're totally fine until you drop dead makes no sense.

Michael Chandra

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
  • Question-slicing ninja
« Reply #10 on: <12-16-19/0759:16> »
Speaking of, I like how now damaging devices will also give penalties, rather than being an all-or-nothing,
How am I not part of the forum?? O_O I am both active and angry!

Sphinx

• Errata Team
  • Omae
« Reply #11 on: <12-16-19/1138:21> »
Magic. Being able to cast any spell you know, as often as you like, and sustain it indefinitely. Being able to decide how much energy (Force) to invest, and thereby control the cost (Drain). Being able to sustain multiple spells, at a cost to your concentration. After growing up with D&D spell slots, the Shadowrun system was irresistible to me.

Csjarrat

• Prime Runner
  • UK based GM + player
« Reply #12 on: <12-17-19/0706:52> »
4e matrix was great, having a proper network map of nodes made it all so much easier than the more nebulous stuff in 5e
Speech
Thought
Matrix
Astral
Mentor

cantrip

• Omae
« Reply #13 on: <12-17-19/1111:44> »
1st edition - physical adept option for automatic successes - totally OP! Crazy fun, but had to change!!!

Various editions idea of Karma (or edge in newer editions). Allows for those 'movie moments' that are iconic in a game.

Oh, and exploding 6's! ;D

BeCareful

• Chummer
« Reply #14 on: <12-17-19/1702:40> »
Oh yeah, sustaining spells is a thing I've always liked: you have to remember every spell you're sustaining, or they'll stop working.
"Welcome to Shadowrun, where the biggest obstacle is you!"