NEWS

Most Unexpected Greatest Players

• 9 Replies

8Bit

« on: <09-05-15/1313:35> »
As the title says, I want to hear some of your stories about your fellow gamers (either as players or teammates) that you thought wouldn’t make the cut, but blew you away in the end. These are people that you may have tolerated joining your game because they were a friend of a friend, but they proved themselves to be an asset you never knew you were living without, heh.

So, to be fair, I will start… and first a little backstory.

Last year I was running a Shadowrun game for a group of my friends at their game shop when one of their daughters started hanging out around the table. The game was a mix of mirror-shades and pink Mohawk in varying degrees (one of my players played a ork street sam that believed a rocket launcher was essential to solving most problems… even social ones). The daughter, I will call her Talia after her character, was about nine years old… and insistent on playing Shadowrun with us. We batted it back in forth, pointing out such things as it being a game with complex rules and dark subject matter (hey, I toned down a lot of the darker stuff for being in a game store, but when your runners insist that their favorite hangout is a BDSM club called the Hellhole… you can only do so much). Nothing could persuade her from her current path, and her parents (also two of my players) agreed that she could give it a try… but they would not hold her hand in any part of the game except to help understand some of the more complex rules. (To Talia’s credit, she is a very bright girl… I always believed that she is as intelligent as she is adorable).

Talia promised that she would study the rules and that by the next weekend she would have a character created for the run. “Ok”, I said, “I will find a way to jump you into the current run.” By the next weekend, she had a 14 year old elf shaman prepared and ready to go. I ran her though a quiz of sorts to make sure she understood the basic rules of the game plus the magic system, and she rattled off answers and probabilities that I had not even considered. I also suggested that she make her character a little older than 14, but she made the argument that “14 is old”… and I couldn’t help but laugh, so she character remained the same except for a few suggested tweaks rounding it out.

@-;------

The crew was in the middle of a two part run, trying to boost a yak shipment from the docks only for the shipment date/location to have been changed unexpectedly. They picked back up in the middle of doing legwork to find someone to put the squeeze on about this hic-up when one of their fixers gave them a call. Says he heard about their recent troubles and wanted to know if they could use anything… favor for a favor, of course. They consented that they could use a little more muscle for the run as they were sure that the changed shipment was due to a leak in their security, and their fixer just so happened to have someone lined up… new to town, but word has it she is very powerful for her age. Everyone agreed to it, standard contracts and fair compensation and all, and Talia entered play.

Skipping ahead… The crew had discovered a mark to squeeze, a male ork in charge of the docks that the shipment was originally going to, and they started digging. Turns out the ork worked for the Yakuza, but the technomancer blotched some rolls and couldn’t find anything else out about him besides a personal blog about his love for his pet cat. A one off joke that would come back to bit me…

Talia followed the perp on foot as he walked home one evening, her argument being that a little girl would draw less attention than a van full of runners, and she sprang her trap as he drew farther into the less populated parts of the city.

“I want to take him into an alleyway,” Talia stated.

“How?” I asked, “He is quite bigger than you, so I don’t think you can force him in there.”

“I… uh… I use con to trick him into coming with me,” she furrowed her brow in thought, “I run up to him and grab on his sleeve and I say: ‘Help me! My mother fell and isn’t getting up! Please, please… you have to help her.’

Hmm. I mulled it over for a second and grabbed up my dice. “Give me a con check at -4. He is naturally suspicious of new people, and doesn’t quite know what to make of you. He doesn’t seem to like the idea of walking into the alleyway.”

“Ok,” she shot back with a smirk, and dice were rolled. Her 12 dice at -4… scored 6 hits to my measly 2. I started to wonder if she had loaded the dice for a second.

“Alrighty then. He seems hesitant, but some spark of humanity pushes him to follow you into the alleyway. When ya’ll get there, he starts looking around for your ‘mother’, and you can tell that he is starting to wise up. What do you do?”

“I tell him that I know who he is, and that I want to know where the shipment is. I tell him that I will beat him up if doesn’t tell me,” she stated with confidence in her voice.

I took a moment to process this. “Hmm… he doesn’t seem to be scared of you. In fact, he starts laughing. He says: ‘Listen, girly, this aint none of your business. This is stuff for grownups. Don’t you have some little dollies at home to play with?’” I replied as Talia huffed in muted anger.

After she took a moment to cool down from the button that I unknowingly pressed, she looked me dead in the eyes and said, “I want to call up my spirit from before. You said it would last until sunset and I still have two favors from it. I want it to show up behind me, looking at the guy.”

“Ok,” I said, wondering where this was going, “You hear a deep rumbling sound as a creature made of gravel and asphalt seems pull itself up from the alleyway. It takes a moment to flick a piece of litter off of its shoulder and stares at you waiting for your command. The ork stares at the creature, his eyes darting back and force between ya’ll. It is a force 6 earth spirit,” I reminded her. “What do you want to do now?”

“I turn to the guy and say: ‘Listen, tusker…” She glanced towards her mother, our crew’s technomancer, as if to check if she crossed some imaginary line, but was told to go ahead as it was only in character. “… You’re going to tell me everything you know… or else my friend here is going to eat you. Starting with your toes,’” she smiled at her own creativity. Then she smirked as a bit of earlier information entered her mind. “’Oh, and then we are going to your house for your cat… There is more than one way to skin a cat, you know.’

I blinked. I was honestly stupefied for a minute as I was trying to figure out how I was going to play this. “Um… give me an intimidation check.” I said, knowing that intimidation was one of her characters overlooked skills. I told her to wait a moment as a checked the book. “Let’s call it a straight roll. He doesn’t know what to make of you, and he would be in serious trouble if he talked… but you just summoned a big mean thing out of nowhere… and you threatened poor Mister Fluffy.”

“Ok,” she replied, “and I’m going to use edge.” Diced were rolled, and despite defaulting on intimidation, she steamrolled my npc. A ridiculous 7 hits, rerolling 6s thanks to edge, to my horrible 1 hit. Did she weigh my dice when I wasn’t looking, too?

’Nooo!’ The man screams as he falls to his knees, begging you not to harm Fluffy. He says he will tell you whatever you want to know.” I replied after a moment. After this point in time, I laid on her and her teammates an info dump of plot points and they continued onto their merry way… after everyone recovered from their fits of hysterical laughter, of course.

@-;------

Unfortunately, Talia only played for a few more runs before she lost interest in the game. She moved onto Pathfinder, in their living world campaign, saying she liked the setting more.

But to this day in my games… there are rumors of a powerful teenage shaman working the shadow scene… reminding the Sixth World just how scary little girls can be.

All4BigGuns

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1 on: <09-05-15/1332:46> »
I think the tagline for one movie is fitting for this:

"Strangers shouldn't talk to little girls."
(SR5) Homebrew Archetypes

Tangled Currents (Persistent): 33 Karma, 60,000 nuyen

FasterN8

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • Err on the side of awesome.
« Reply #2 on: <09-05-15/2057:04> »
Hah!  That's a fantastic story!

I'm totally going to keep Talia in my back pocket as an NPC, attitude and all.  Any other details and/or stat sheet would be appreciated.

Fabe

• Omae
« Reply #3 on: <09-05-15/2222:47> »

Unfortunately, Talia only played for a few more runs before she lost interest in the game. She moved onto Pathfinder, in their living world campaign, saying she liked the setting more.

On the bright side you got a 9 year old interested in tabletop gaming. I'll call that a win even if she didn't stick with Shadowrun.

TheWayfinder

• Newb
« Reply #4 on: <09-06-15/0214:55> »
I'd say you handled that masterfully.  Children can be quite creative if you give them enough to go with.   ;D

One of my best friends from the Army made a rather strange dwarf decker/rigger of sorts, and he named him Trapper.  This was back when we were playing 3rd Edition, way back when.  We were pretty well experienced, in a rather lethal campaign that would later lead us to a whirlwind trip around the world under the employ of a noted great dragon. 

Trapper and my character, Sharpe, a noted human detective, had managed to corner a Troll Mafia Made Man in a warehouse named Vinny.  He had knocked out our street samurai, but we were able to bring him down with concussion grenades and stun weapons, and some very lucky rolls.  I can't remember exactly what we needed him for.  But, as we began to interrogate him, Lone Star shows up.  We couldn't have them take Vinny away, so we hid him in a large crate, and dumped a bunch of packing peanuts on him.  We also hid our unconscious street sam. 

The cops come in, and we have our hands up.  They got a tip that Vinny was there, but we say that he's not here.  They say, "What's in that big box?" 

And Trapper goes, "Nothing!  If Vinny was in there, do you think I'd do this?"  And he shoves the fallen street sam's katana in between the planks." 

We're all giggling at the table, the obvious reference to Bugs Bunny falling in place, and the GM says, "You might, dwarf, you might!" 

"Well!"  Trapper says!  "Do you think I'd do THIS if Vinny were therein?"  He opens the top and dumps a flash-bang grenade down there.  BLAM!  The crate falls to pieces, with Vinny smouldering in his nice clothes.  He runs up to the cops. 

"Take me away!  Help!  They're crazy!" 

We ended up getting our information another way. 

8Bit

« Reply #5 on: <09-06-15/1045:21> »
@ FasterN8 - What I have is based off of her “fresh out of character generation” character sheet. I have a habit of having each of my players copy their character sheets and provide a backstory for my records (So I have something to reference when building runs). I transcribed this from her copy she gave me. I may have missed something, so forgive me, but I think I got the core stuff down.

[spoiler]Talia
Female – Elf – 14 years old

Attributes:
Body – 3
Agility – 4
Reaction – 3
Strength – 2
Willpower – 5
Intuition – 3
Logic – 3
Charisma – 8
Magic – 6
Edge – 4
Essence – 6

Skills:
Assessing 3
Banishing 1
Binding  5
Con 4 (Fast Talk)
Counterspelling 4
Etiquette 2
Leadership 2
Negotiation 2
Perception 3
Pistols 4
Sneaking 1
Spellcasting 6 (Manipulation)
Summoning 6 (Spirit of Air)
Unarmed 1

Positive Qualities:
Focused Concentration x3
Mentor Spirit
Spirit Affinity (Spirit of Man)
Negative Qualities:
National Sin (Unspecified, I overlooked this when helping her)
Allergy (Dust) (Mild/Common)

Spells:
Stunbolt
Mind Probe
Heal
Bugs
Trid Phantasm
Fling
Influence
Levitate
Magic Fingers
Physical Barrier

Gear:
Armored Jacket
Concealable Holster
Dodge Scoot
Flashlight
Helmet
Medium Life Style (1 Month)
Medkit (Rating 3)
Sin (Rating 3)
Taser Darts x20
Transys Avalon Commlink w/ Sim Module
Trodes (Built into a headband)
Yamaha Pulsar Taser w/ Laser Sight

Starting NuYen: 4500

Contacts:
“Unnamed” - Talismonger – L2/C2
“Unnamed” - Fixer – L2/C2
Natalie - Friend – L4/C2
Kristian – Famous Person – L2/C4
Ms. Raymore - Teacher – L3/C1

A couple of notes: I have no idea who Kristian or Ms. Raymore are, but I know Natalie was/is her RL friend… so, chances are they are based on real people too. The Talismonger and Fixer were my suggestions, and I don’t remember if they were ever named or not. She saved quite a bit of her starting Nuyen, even after I asked if there was anything else she wanted to purchase. And don’t ask me how a 14 year old girl gets by living on her own, but she wanted to have a house.

I don’t have the last updated sheet of hers; I assume her parents may still have it lying around. I know she invested karma in upping her social skills (especially a point in Intimidation). She really didn’t purchase much as far as gear and items go in game. I think with a little more work she could have become a great shaman/face.

A few notes on playstyle: She always tried talking out things first with NPCs, trying to convince them to her way of thinking. She wasn’t afraid to use Magic/Spirits/Con/Other to get her way if need be. She like Manipulation spells or spells that allowed her to do ‘classic magic tricks’ (illusions/flight/readying minds/telekinesis), but avoided combat spells. She herself never preferred to fight personally (at most sticking with a Taser or off spell if she couldn’t help it), but she was not above using her spirits in her steed while she hide herself (we allowed her to control he spirits in combat, to give her something to do). She never really bound spirits in the game (despite having a decent binding skill) as once she learned how shamans interacted with spirits vs mages, as she preferred to think of her spirits as friends instead of servants. She truly became upset when her spirits became injured, and more determined to destroy whatever vexed her. And she wasn’t above using her age or appearance to her advantage… and she had a hot button about being told she couldn’t do something because of her age.

If I had to describe her in game: “A cute 14 year old elf girl with a bubbly personality and carefree attitude, but sinister cunning lurks behind those beautiful green eyes. Rumor has it that despite her age, she is quite a skilled shaman with a host of spiritual friends at her side. While she always tries to appeal to your good reason, those that irk her have no hope of shelter from her wrath. She leaves a wake of the confused and the dead wherever she goes, but she ‘tried talking things out first’… and for ghost’s sake… don’t call her a little girl.”[/spoiler]

@ Fabe – Well, thank you. Yeah, Shadowrun was her first tabletop game, but I think she would gotten into tabletop anyways. Her parents own a game store, and she has been playing Magic: The Gathering since she was about 5 (her father taught her, and she even does the weekly Magic tournaments).

@ TheWayfinder – I love that! Honestly, I feel like Vinny sometimes when my players get one if their brilliant ‘ideas’. (Need to get inside a building?... Eh, rocket launcher.)

Mmurphy

• Newb
« Reply #6 on: <09-21-15/0026:17> »
A while back I played at a hobby store and when we started, we decided to play on Sunday mid-morning running 4 hours each week.  We decided on Sunday as when I explained the history of Shadow run and how 'dark and dystopian' it was, they wanted it during some of the 'quieter' times.

The 4 players were investigating a nova-coke shipment to a strip bar.  It was not a normal nova-coke shipment as there was enough there to keep all of Seattle high for at least 3 months (pallets and pallets of nova-coke).  A new girl (age 18?) had been listening to the game for about 5 minutes and politely asked a question.  I reached into my GM case and pulled out a pre-made character and said, 'here is your character, you will be joining us in the game'.  I had done this once already, which was why we had 4 players instead of 3; now we had 5.  Something happened to the casings on the nova-coke and 2 pallets had spilled all over the floor (I don't remember why)  but as the new player was on a second story and needed to get down to the first story in a hurry, she jumped into the nova-coke to break her fall.  She performed her gymnastics test with with a glitch (not a critical) so she got a lung full of the stuff.  After asking what nova-coke was, she then proceeded to role-play the effects for the next hour or so in the way her character talked rapidly and was extremely social.   Also, she role-played the withdrawal effects and effectively gave her character a 'recovering novacoke addiction'.  Novacoke was part of the next few weeks of runs and the character really played the effects and once even 'failed' her resistance and used, all this without any forced GM test. 

Rooks

• Omae
« Reply #7 on: <09-23-15/1140:01> »
And people laugh when I bring a gas mask or air tank

Kiirnodel

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Ace Runner
« Reply #8 on: <09-23-15/1739:46> »
And people laugh when I bring a gas mask or air tank

Yeah, but it's a nervous laugh because they aren't sure if you're being paranoid or are prepared for something that you are going to do. Then they think "well maybe I should have one too."

Mevarion

• Newb
« Reply #9 on: <10-30-15/1422:45> »
     I had a new player join a group I was running a few months ago. She was a sort of friend acquaintance and her only experience was with Pathfinder. I was hesitant because I had a solid group, but left it up to the players and they decided to give her a shot. The group has just started the legwork portion of the run and decided to check on a local street doc to see if he knew anything about bodies disappearing from  a local Docwagon morgue.

It turns out that he did have something to do with it, and after the normal intimidation rolls enough information was given to the players for them to hang themselves when in walks his assistant ( the new player). When threatened about what was going on she passed a Con roll against the group and seemed appropriately horrified by what was going on.

She then proceeds to follow them around the city "helping" the group figure out what has been going on. She told them about body delivery's to Tanamous, connections to local street docs and a small ghoul underground. Even managed to get Docwagon implicated in some it. Some of the best roleplay I have seen in a while. It was hilarious, because part of the way through she fudged some rolls, so the group was on to her, but they were so amused at what was going on that they just let her run with it. She was going all out with the roleplay and story, really jumped straight into the setting, my group, myself included, were just grinning at her enthusiasm. It came to a head when the group finally got to where the bodies were being stored before being delivered to ghouls at an Automechanic Shop. It was listed on her contacts list which I had not gone over with her. and when asked where this was she just looked up and grinned, "Mike's Auto, Body and Chop Shop."
     After it was over the group pretty much nominated her as the face lol. One of the most enthusiastic players with a weird sense of humor I have encountered in a while. Turns out she based her character off of Repo the Genetic Opera.