NEWS

Tir Tairngire

• 43 Replies

8-bit

« Reply #30 on: <10-17-14/0301:57> »
You presume a 6th World game would automatically be cyberpunk.  The sense I got was that it's going to be some time - like, a thousand years - down the road, when magic is high but a little before the Horrors can breach on their own.

How long does an age last? Like, the 5th World was what? 1600 AD to 2011 AD? How long was the 4th World? I just am curious if the 6th world would last that long before the mana ebbed and it became a mundane world again.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #31 on: <10-17-14/0321:44> »
As I vaguely remember, the 5th world started around 3800 BC.  Worlds last roughly 5000-5200 years.  Look up 'Mayan Long Count' to get a more accurate gauge.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Namikaze

• Freelancer Ltd
  • Prime Runner
  • I'm a Ma'fan of Shadowrun!
« Reply #32 on: <10-17-14/0415:56> »
That's fair - yeah it could be something like a high fantasy ultra sci-fi setting.  And the 8th world would be probably all that stuff but in space?
Feel free to keep any karma you earned illicitly, it's on us.

Quote from: Stephen Covey
Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #33 on: <10-17-14/0500:55> »
I vaguely remember the rumor being such, yes - having scorched the Earth to deny the Horrors anything, they've gone out into space, yadda yadda.  I dunno.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Ursus Maior

• Omae
« Reply #34 on: <10-17-14/0727:19> »
You presume a 6th World game would automatically be cyberpunk.  The sense I got was that it's going to be some time - like, a thousand years - down the road, when magic is high but a little before the Horrors can breach on their own.
Maybe they will let themselves become inspired by Numenera. Basically making their universe a multitude of layers of magical and unmagical worlds? That seems to attract people these days at least.
Liber et infractus

8-bit

« Reply #35 on: <10-17-14/1131:21> »
As I vaguely remember, the 5th world started around 3800 BC.  Worlds last roughly 5000-5200 years.  Look up 'Mayan Long Count' to get a more accurate gauge.

Really? Then when is the 4th World set? Prehistory? I thought the whole Greece and Rome, possibly the Middle Ages, would all be 4th world, but if that's the 5th world... That is a seriously long time. Thanks for the information, that's pretty interesting.

The Tekwych

• Omae
« Reply #36 on: <10-17-14/1501:11> »
No the 4th world is before known history. A time forgotten to myth and mystery just like the magic that helped define it.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #37 on: <10-17-14/2301:10> »
4th World is 'Atlantis' - of which the Greeks and Romans had legends.  (Even if it was only a thought-exercise in actuality ...)
Pananagutan & End/Line

8-bit

« Reply #38 on: <10-18-14/0034:52> »
4th World is 'Atlantis' - of which the Greeks and Romans had legends.  (Even if it was only a thought-exercise in actuality ...)

Ah, that makes more sense. I know nothing about the 4th World, but what about the legends of Odysseus for example? It was Ancient History even for Greeks, so would that be like the final parts of the 4th World?

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #39 on: <10-18-14/0126:21> »
Dude, I'm not going to write it all out for you.  If you want to know more, go look at the Earthdawn stuff.  Earthdawn takes place roughly 2000 years before the end of the 4th world, which end itself was before - just before, in fact - the start of the oldest known civilizations on the planet, circa 3000 BC - Babylonians, Akkadians, the first Egyptians, the first Chinese civilizations.

And Odysseus really wasn't 'ancient history' for the Greeks; Troy may have become a tale, but it actually happened - roughly around 1100 BC. You could still visit the actual city, see portions of the ruined walls at that point, and you may still have had weapons and armor hanging around that had actually been to the war.  It was legend, but not mythology.

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy.
Pananagutan & End/Line

8-bit

« Reply #40 on: <10-18-14/0133:28> »
All right, an actual question about Tir Tairngire. I'm still making my way through the 2nd edition book (I never seem to find the time sadly), and here's the question.

What is up with all the hostility, or perhaps better put, the refusal of Tir Tairngire to work with Aztlan? From my understanding, it's the same with Tir na nOg (how do you spell that nation's name). I'm still working my way through, so this may be a stupid question, but I figured it was worth asking. I'm curious as to why they refuse to work together, or why Aztlan even refuses to acknowledge Tir Tairngire.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #41 on: <10-18-14/0334:15> »
The Tirs considered the blood magic practiced by Aztlaners as evil (for good reason), and Aztlan was run by people who knew that the Tirs were/are run by people knowledgeable of and openly hostile to their agendas.

The Aztlan blood magic stuff requires most of its own book (Aztlan) to explain.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
« Reply #42 on: <10-18-14/0337:04> »
Consider it like this:

Parties 1 and 2 are banking on a 'noble, back-to-the-land, magical heritage, the best blend of magic and high technology' vibe.  They want people who look for strength and power to see them as strong and proud and powerful; they want people who look for granola and rainbows and unicorns to see them as eating granola, generating rainbows, and petting unicorns.

Party 3 is banking on a reputation of literally cut-throat tactics in business and politics, rips everyone off, sells drugs to kids in the playground, captures the opposition and chops their heart out of their chests and televises this on their high holy days, and has the attitude of 'you don't like it, you can kiss my ass - kiss my ass, baby.  Kiss it.  Pucker up.'

So what do you think?

Add into the equation the behind-the-scenes facts that Parties 1 and 2 are established by Immortal Elves, and Party 3 is most likely at the very least playing host to something so horrible, ancient, and literally Corrupted they would all for once band together to rain mystic nuclear fire, real nuclear fire, and every Thor shot they could beg, borrow, bribe, or steal down upon it and damn the consequences if they could manage to get accurate targeting.
Pananagutan & End/Line

Sengir

• Omae
« Reply #43 on: <10-21-14/0959:39> »
What is up with all the hostility, or perhaps better put, the refusal of Tir Tairngire to work with Aztlan? From my understanding, it's the same with Tir na nOg (how do you spell that nation's name). I'm still working my way through, so this may be a stupid question, but I figured it was worth asking. I'm curious as to why they refuse to work together, or why Aztlan even refuses to acknowledge Tir Tairngire.
Aztlan tried to bring about The Scourge far earlier than it should. The high-ranking elves still remember the last time that came around, and thus have rather limited passion for Horror quislings.