NEWS

Tir Tairngire

• 43 Replies

8-bit

« on: <10-14-14/1336:52> »
Any source books on this place? I know it's situated in Portland and it's one of two Elven nations, but I know nothing else about it.

So, any books that have information about this place? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Belker

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
  • The Butcher
« Reply #1 on: <10-14-14/1355:19> »
There are two, in fact. One is the original from 2nd edition and titled "Tir Tairngire: The Land of Promise". It's available in PDF from RPGNow/DriveThru and perhaps Battleshop, as well as popping up in used versions in various places such as Noble Knight and on e-Bay and other auction sites. (I snagged a copy from my local game store's "Used" section.)

There's an update book from 4th edition called simply "The Land of Promise" which updates things to the early 2070s. This also serves as the background for the "Elven Blood" series of adventures, which were originally convention-only missions compiled and published in a single volume. I believe both of these are electronic formats only.
"Dog says to always wear your seatbelts, kiddies."
Missions Freelancer (CMP 2015 - The Tennessee Suite 1-4)

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2 on: <10-14-14/1357:09> »
This is an easy layup - who wants this one? Looks like Belker got it.

If you want a high-level summary along with a bibliography, see here.

8-bit

« Reply #3 on: <10-14-14/1403:50> »
Thanks guys, I really appreciate it!

PiXeL01

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Sheltering Orks in Osaka
« Reply #4 on: <10-14-14/1848:59> »
There's also Shadows of North America which fills some of the gap between Tir Tairngire and Land of Promise
If Tom Brady’s a Spike Baby, what does that make Brees and Rodgers?

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #5 on: <10-14-14/2020:07> »
Feel free to holler if you have any more specific questions.

8-bit

« Reply #6 on: <10-14-14/2033:25> »
Feel free to holler if you have any more specific questions.

I will, thanks!

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #7 on: <10-15-14/0048:14> »
Because Critias is teh mAn when it comes to the Oregonian Tir.  Literally; he's the one who wrote those convention missions, and the aforementioned update ...
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #8 on: <10-15-14/0252:07> »
Yes, but I'm the one who lives in the Tir.

The Wyrm Ouroboros

• Prime Runner
  • I Have Taken All Shadowrun To Be My Province
« Reply #9 on: <10-15-14/0459:41> »
Yeah, but I live in ATL, and you wouldn't want me to write about it, would you?  ;)
Pananagutan & End/Line

Old As McBean, Twice As Mean
"Oh, gee - it's Go-Frag-Yourself-O'Clock."
New Wyrm!! Now with Twice the Bastard!!

Laés is ... I forget. -PiXeL01
Play the game. Don't try to win it.

adzling

« Reply #10 on: <10-15-14/1039:44> »
Critias what's the relationship of the Tir to the Irish republic (tir nan og?)?
thanks

Angelone

• Ace Runner
  • A decent perfection
« Reply #11 on: <10-15-14/1405:04> »
thanks

Strained, there's a lot of history there.
REJOICE! For bad things are about to happen.
la vida no vale nada

MijRai

• Ace Runner
  • Kane's Understudy
« Reply #12 on: <10-15-14/1535:11> »
thanks

From what I remember of the Tir na nOg book, it's definitely strained.  There's viewpoints among some folks along the lines of thinking the other nation is a 'poser', basically. 
Would you want to go into a place where the resident had a drum-fed shotgun and can see in the dark?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #13 on: <10-15-14/2100:38> »
As has been stated, the Tir Tairngir book from 2nd edition and the 4th edition Land of Promise are the key books you need for running in the Tir. System Failure (the book that ended 3rd edition) has some on the shakeup in the Tir, where the Princes got booted out. Some of the metaplot books from 4th also have updates on the actions of the Princes, but you don't really need to know that to start.

Critias is the first, best source for all things Tir, as he's the resident expert amongst the writers.

As far as the relationship between Tir Tairngir and Tir Nan Og, the relationship is strained, to put it mildly. The Tirs were both brought about by the Immortal Elves. The thing about the IEs, though, is that when it comes to working with eachother, they tend to be as bad as dragons in the 'my plots are better than your plots' thing, to the point where backstabbing and intrigue is like breathing for them. So while the Tirs would probably cooperate against the dragons, if it came to it, and would definitely move against Aztlan if they thought they could win, their own plots keep them as uneasy allies. But that's all on the uber-high level stuff. For most people, they see the difference as Tir Nan Og being a more mystical/cultish place, while Tir Tairngir tried to be a new take on medieval serfdom. One side thought the other were dreamers, and the other thought they had given up their paths on the wheel.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #14 on: <10-15-14/2121:53> »
Of course, both countries have ostensibly changed quite a bit since then. The last time TNO was mentioned was in Spy Games as being on the losing end of trying to join the NEEC (Shocking, I know, the elven country would get screwed trying to join Lofwyr's little club), and before that was in Shadows of Europe. LoP didn't really get to cover what's going on now, but something should be.