NEWS

karma cost for upgradeing edge???

• 20 Replies

Sielle

• Newb
« Reply #15 on: <09-13-13/1611:08> »
This may also be a case where you look at what's best for the game at your table as a whole.  How much fun is it for the GM or the Player if someone actually dies and has to roll up a new character?  Let them buy that extra point of edge mid-game so they survive but really mess them up and let them know that they're going to spend the next month in the hospital during down time recovering.

Crunch

• Ace Runner
« Reply #16 on: <09-13-13/1612:52> »
I could see allowing a character with Edge 0, assuming that the fact that he is crazy unlucky is part of the character concept and not just a mechanical choice, to simply burn 5 Karma (once per run) to do the same thing as burning the edge point he doesn't have and save his life.  The obvious downsides are the 1/run limit and not being able to use Edge for anything else.

I could see that for a character who began the session with Edge 0 (although if said character had the 5 karma pre session I'd have urged him to spend it on Karma). Allowing a character who began with Edge 1 to burn a point, and then buy back up to 1 to burn a point again seems like it's penalize the guy who went ahead and bought Edge 2.

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #17 on: <09-13-13/1842:19> »
As simple possible houserule could be that raising Edge from 0 to 1 costs 10 Karma, and that every time you get to 0 Edge, it costs an extra 5 Karma: so 10, then 15, then 20... if you're down on your luck all the time, getting your mojo back is going to get harder and harder.

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #18 on: <09-13-13/1956:10> »
i dont really see the problem. i know people often use edge to break limits, increase initiative or re-roll failed dice etc - even multiple times during a single day if they have a pool to pick from. not sure systematically burning 5 karma on permanent edge loss multiple times during a single day will be worth it in the long run ;)

ZeConster

• Prime Runner
« Reply #19 on: <09-13-13/2028:04> »
True, burning Edge has a limited effect: even if you use it for Not Dead Yet, you'll still be out for the rest of the run, most likely, meaning there's stuff like medical bills, the Johnson or the rest of the team deciding you don't deserve a full share, stuff like that. And Smackdown isn't exactly something you want to do unless the alternative is near-certain death/failure.

Anarkitty

• Omae
« Reply #20 on: <09-16-13/1338:11> »
Depending on the table, I can see allowing the burning of 5 or 10 Karma to get a "Not Dead Yet" if you have no Edge left to be a workable rule. 
To balance it, maybe it should be less effective than Edge, since you're relying on your karma rather than luck to save you, so you squeak by with even worse penalties than burning the Edge point, and it is only allowed if you otherwise have no Edge to burn. 
Perhaps it even would reduce your maximum Edge to do it making it a more permanent "burn", not just using up your luck but using up potential future luck.

It depends on how the table plays, what kind of story the GM wants to tell and how much characters should be able to live through.  It would fit better in big pink mohawk games and cinematic games, more than others.