NEWS

Matrix wish list

• 47 Replies

MercilessMing

• Omae
« Reply #45 on: <01-18-22/1247:25> »
The core rules describes PANs and Hosts, but I've often needed an in-between sized network, a WAN - did 5th edition have that concept?  Could be a good place to expand on in the matrix book.  Honestly, seems like a good concept to replace team networks, and could be good for illegal network concepts, since having a Host implies significant resources, and legality.

Also I second the idea of meatspace cybercombat options.  In addition to it being too difficult to take down a device (nothing can be one-shotted), there also just isn't a lot of interesting things to do.  I mean stuff like status effects, debuffs.  Everything right now revolves around filling up a device CM to make it ever so slightly more difficult to use the device.  What if we had more specialized attacks, things that result in meaningful differences right now instead of two or three turns down the road. 
Ok I guess I'm talking about Cyberpunk 2077 quick hacks.  They have a much better fun factor than generic -1 penalty when using device.  Can we get some imagination in here?

Hobbes

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #46 on: <01-18-22/1318:48> »
The core rules describes PANs and Hosts, but I've often needed an in-between sized network, a WAN - did 5th edition have that concept? 

6th Edition PANs can potentially have thousands of devices in them, because you can keep nesting personal PANs.  But Riggers are particularly good for this, see the C3 unit p. 139 of Double Clutch.  Think mobile HQ/EWAR vehicle managing an area as a temporary host.  No reason a building version couldn't exist if the story calls for it.

Decent RCC and operator, EWAR programs from p. 145/146 of Double Clutch, C3 Unit, handful of EWAR and Recon Drones.... *Poof* instant high tech command center.

Hell, PC Technomancers with the right Echo can just plug in the C3 unit and probably do it even better, just stick the C3 in a handy Drone...I may have a new character to make now...

Xenon

• Prime Runner
« Reply #47 on: <01-20-22/1531:10> »
The core rules describes PANs and Hosts, but I've often needed an in-between sized network, a WAN - did 5th edition have that concept? 
In SR5 you had devices out on the grid being part of a PANs (the master device being your commlink, cyberdeck or RCC), devices out on the grid being part of a WANs (the master being a Host) or devices out on the grid just being part of the grid (all devices had their own firewall and data processing rating in 5th edition and since this edition featured a direct connection backdoor exploit many devices that could not be physically defended was typically not slaved to a host). Even if you placed your mark on a master device in a PAN or on the host protecting a WAN you would still have to also place your mark on individual devices you wanted to take control over (access per icon).

In SR6 it seem as if the intention is that most devices are part of some sort of network. While I don't think it is spelled out it seem plausible that your apartment and all the devices in it are part of your home network (or perhaps part of the building's Host network)? All electronic devices you bring with you (which could be hundreds) are probably part of your PAN. Devices in a facility you and your team are infiltrating are probably part of the host (either directly matrix facing or hidden inside the network itself). The intent also seem to be that every single device that is part of a host act as an access point for the network (that the distance to the host is measured between you and the closest physical device that is part of the network). If you gain access on anything in a network in this edition you also gain access on all devices in the entire network (access per network).

team networks
An idea here I think is to slave your PAN to the team's tech guy (which is typically a rigger, hacker, technomancer, or something similar) and then stay close enough so you may still remain connected to and protected by his RCC, cyberdeck or living persona.