NEWS

The current Metaplots

• 386 Replies

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #345 on: <02-06-19/2031:33> »
Taiga Mitsuhama finally died of old age. Korin Yamana bought his shares, which were turned over to the Corporate Court in return for him living on the Z-O Habitat.

Yamana was the largest shareholder for about two weeks before he went on vacation and *oops* a megaladon ate him. Now his estate is in probate and it's unclear who owns how much of MCT.

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #346 on: <02-11-19/2224:27> »
Perhaps the Sea Dragon is making a move on Ryumyo's playpen?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Ixal

• Chummer
« Reply #347 on: <02-12-19/0417:10> »
To give you a sense of scale, about 56% of MCT stock will likely be on sale because of their owners dieing off.

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #348 on: <04-07-19/2212:04> »
In Dark Terrors, there is a flash announcement that an explosion had hit Ares' headquarters, that Arthur Vogel was missing, and that Damian Knight was taking full control of the corp with emergency powers -- essentially declaring martial law.  This right when they were cycling all their military and para-military units through Detroit for 'equipment upgrades.'  And in the same book, the Jackpointer 'Sticks' goes offline, after a whole song and dance about how he'd been investigating Ares and now they were after him.

I don't recall seeing any follow up on either of those issues in later books (other than a mention of Sticks being still offline -- Street Lethal maybe?).  Have I missed or forgotten any mention of those?  (I'm going to have that attack on the headquarters happen in my game soonish, and would like to work in any canon follow-on that I can).

Longshot23

• Omae
« Reply #349 on: <04-10-19/1319:09> »
Who is Eric Brackhaven?

Another adoptee? Kenny-boy's son?

First 'sighting' I know of is from The Complete Trog, where he was trumpeting about Unity. I remember a previous mention of something called Unity from Denver - same organisation?

AnotherUser

• Newb
« Reply #350 on: <04-10-19/1820:34> »
Quick and Dirty summary of the fall of NeoNet (and survival of Richard Villiers)

Hi. I got a quick question. Where can I read up on that? Which sourcebook.

(Please donīt tell me it is detailed in some adventure/run product. Trying to get the basic outline of what went down in Boston by browsing through story after story I was never going to GM/play was rather annoying.)
« Last Edit: <04-10-19/1825:07> by AnotherUser »

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #351 on: <04-11-19/1057:59> »
Quick and Dirty summary of the fall of NeoNet (and survival of Richard Villiers)

Hi. I got a quick question. Where can I read up on that? Which sourcebook.

(Please donīt tell me it is detailed in some adventure/run product. Trying to get the basic outline of what went down in Boston by browsing through story after story I was never going to GM/play was rather annoying.)

The good news is that it isn't detailed in an adventure.

The bad news is that it is spread out over multiple books, and a lot of it is in the shadowtalk (jackpoint posts), so it isn't easily findable from the table of contents.  From memory, in Market Panic the blame hadn't been pinned yet, and NeoNet was starting to build a new headquarters in St. Louis, so all the details about the downfall came after Market Panic (there is a thread around here that lists all the publications in the order that they came out).  Erica and Transys-Avalon breaking off, then splitting apart, was in one of the earlier books after that, the actual final corporate court decision, and the golden ticket being leased to Spinstorm Global was, I think, one of the ones that came out in 2018.  When I get a chance I can search through some of my pdf and see if I can put together  a better list.

AnotherUser

• Newb
« Reply #352 on: <04-11-19/2024:26> »
The good news is that it isn't detailed in an adventure.

The bad news is that it is spread out over multiple books, and a lot of it is in the shadowtalk (jackpoint posts), so it isn't easily findable from the table of contents.  From memory, in Market Panic the blame hadn't been pinned yet ...
Thanks for the confirmation. I feared as much.

I got to say, while I fully understand the writersī desire to build up their story arcs mysteriously via tidbits and through the lense of ingame characters, an occasional, succint summary (say of the releases of the last 2 RL years) would really go a long way of making it easier to keep up. Bonus points for including a list of the products containing info about each metaplot, so we know where to look.
The way it is handled right now doesnīt really encourage me to follow most of the metaplots. Or include them in my own campaigns. Hunting down references in half a dozen PDF or just double-checking is rather tedious. As a GM I got enough archivistsī work on my plate already.
I feel alot of good writing is not getting the attention it deserves because of this and it leads to less people delving into the story arcs and miss all the suspense and mystery the authors took so great pains to build up.

In regards to the death of NeoNET, I am familiar with Market Panic, where shit was just about to hit the fan. But Market Panic lacks an ingame date. Another one of my pet peeves. I know I had figured it out via the references in the text (2078?), but didnīt write it down. I never figured out the system behind which books get the Jackpoint intro page (with a date) and which do not. More librarian work.

Reading this again I am sorry for not contributing much besides complaints. Maybe itīs just me, but I think you can have both, narrative devices, suspense and (later) easy access.

Wakshaani

• Ace Runner
« Reply #353 on: <04-13-19/1030:38> »
In Dark Terrors, there is a flash announcement that an explosion had hit Ares' headquarters, that Arthur Vogel was missing, and that Damian Knight was taking full control of the corp with emergency powers -- essentially declaring martial law.  This right when they were cycling all their military and para-military units through Detroit for 'equipment upgrades.'  And in the same book, the Jackpointer 'Sticks' goes offline, after a whole song and dance about how he'd been investigating Ares and now they were after him.

I don't recall seeing any follow up on either of those issues in later books (other than a mention of Sticks being still offline -- Street Lethal maybe?).  Have I missed or forgotten any mention of those?  (I'm going to have that attack on the headquarters happen in my game soonish, and would like to work in any canon follow-on that I can).

Oh, there's follow-up tothis. Mwu-hahahaha.... ahem.

ORTEGA76

• Newb
« Reply #354 on: <04-19-19/1156:45> »
Question on Anne Penchyk. In Complete Trog, there is no mention of her being possessed by or having connebtion to a Mantis Spirit. Is that no longer a thing?

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #355 on: <04-19-19/2234:25> »
Question on Anne Penchyk. In Complete Trog, there is no mention of her being possessed by or having connebtion to a Mantis Spirit. Is that no longer a thing?
Unreliable Narrator?
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #356 on: <04-21-19/0035:50> »
Her relationship with them is still in play. I wanted to keep it ambiguous for now.

Beta

• Ace Runner
« Reply #357 on: <04-24-19/1739:45> »

In regards to the death of NeoNET, I am familiar with Market Panic, where shit was just about to hit the fan. But Market Panic lacks an ingame date. Another one of my pet peeves. I know I had figured it out via the references in the text (2078?), but didnīt write it down. I never figured out the system behind which books get the Jackpoint intro page (with a date) and which do not. More librarian work.

A bit of research today. 
- The Complete Trog had a Jackpoint date of 17 Aug 2079.  In it, Erica and Transys-Neuronet have first collectively split from NeoNet, then split from each other.  But the Corporate Corp decision hasn't come down yet.

- Dark Terrors (of all places) has most of the details.  (Dark Terrors' Jackpoint date is 17 Dec, 2079)
- it says that "the verdicts in the cases against NeoNET were handed down thruoghout the second half of 2079"   
- it has the court decidsion banning him from being an officer or director of a Court jurisdiction company (AA and AAA?) for no less than ten years.
- it covers the lease of the golden ticket to Global Spinstorm, and Caroline (Cara) Villiers taking over Novatech, and that the ARCHology HQ building in St. Louis was transfered to Novatech from NeoNet before the rulings.
- Novatech is down to it's core matrix holdings (which are still substantial).  It was not clear if it would end up as an A or AA corp.

- In Street Lethal, it is revealed that MinuteMan security (which had been a NeoNet company) has been sold to Horizon, but that the sale is being kept quiet (most have the impression that it has gone independent), and that Richard Villiers has a stake in it, in some hidden sort of way.  (but no Jackpoint page, sigh, but it was published after Dark Terrors)

- Kill Code didn't really add anything new, but it includes a bit of information about issue Novatech is facing with the new headquarters.  (Kill Code was also missing a Jackpoint page I think?)

Opti

• Freelancer
  • Omae
« Reply #358 on: <04-25-19/1133:11> »
I have a feeling there will be a lot of activity/catharsis in this thread after next week....

Stainless Steel Devil Rat

• Errata Coordinator
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #359 on: <04-25-19/1328:43> »
I have a feeling there will be a lot of activity/catharsis in this thread after next week....

RPG mechanics exist to give structure and consistency to the game world, true, but at the end of the day, you’re fighting dragons with algebra and random number generators.