NEWS

Drones - what else?

• 26 Replies

UmaroVI

• Prime Runner
« Reply #15 on: <06-17-12/1049:38> »
There's about ten zillion threads discussing this issue over and over. If you want to read them, go google for them, they aren't hard to find. I will, however, point out:

1) I don't go with what I think is the most sensible rule or the best rule or the most balanced rule, always (although in this case, that happened to be the case). I go with taking into account what the rules say, what the community consensus is, and erring on the side of what is least likely to cause a big problem if the GM disagrees. Remember that these characters are made for missions where you don't have a single GM. Only a minority of people think the Sensor rule was meant to work like you do, which is why I don't assume it. If the GM does disagree, they can just run at 1 rating less, oh noes.

2) The sensor rule working like you think it does is the more broken and abusable interpretation, it's just abusable in a different way. You'd probably have noticed this if you weren't so busy making ad hominem attacks. The reason for this is simple: if you interpret the rule the way you do, it tells you that drone sensor systems count as supplying channels=sensor. This means that for a completely trivial price of 125ny, any drone can have Sensor 6 and thus supply 6 channels (do note, it's not a cap of "up to Sensor, depending on how many channels it would have normally," it's equal to Sensor).

However, that only covers the drone's own sensor systems - drones can still benefit from worn or carried sensors separately (this isn't unique to your interpretation, there's just no real reason to do it otherwise). Do note that "drone sensor systems" are very explicitly a thing that is different from sensor systems worn on or carried by a drone, see SR4A 333-334. So, you get a microsensor camera rating 1, put Smartlink in it, and gecko tape it to your drone. The drone sensor systems supply 6 channels (sensor), the worn microsensor supplies 2 (vision+smartlink). You've spent 725ny to get your eight sensor channels, which is about a third of what it would normally cost to get eight sensor channels on a drone.

3) If you really want to be safe and are playing in Missions, you can also just remove the Smartlink on the drone itself, remove some other useless sensor, and put a Microsensor Camera with Smartlink on the drone with gecko tape, thereby making you compliant with both interpretations, and slightly stupid-looking. Of course, if you're playing in a home game, you can just ask your GM.

Charasanya

• Newb
« Reply #16 on: <06-18-12/0910:06> »
Despite all the infighting, I would love to know what kind of drone you have chosen...

Digital_Viking

• Omae
« Reply #17 on: <06-18-12/0951:44> »
Despite all the infighting, I would love to know what kind of drone you have chosen...

Well in addition to the Standard Umaro Package ;) , I also picked up a Doberman with an LMG and a Stormcloud with a MGL-12
"Which is better and which is worse,I wonder - To understand or to not understand?"
"Understanding is always worse. To not understand is to never carry the burden of responsibility. Understanding is pain. But anything less is unacceptable."

Aelavel

« Reply #18 on: <06-20-12/0731:13> »
the wheelchair drone is handy, if you have a Mage, or a decker that you need to move...

_Pax_

« Reply #19 on: <06-20-12/1243:17> »
... or yourself, if you go Full VR often.  :)

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #20 on: <06-20-12/1725:02> »
My group's technomancer has hurt himself a few times before he figured out the whole, "Sit/lie down, then go into VR." thing.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

freddieflatline

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Omae
« Reply #21 on: <06-22-12/0948:16> »
Well, you could upgrade the weapon on that drone (AK-97 is the Ford Pinto of guns), and increase the supply of ammunition. Possibly with an underbarrel weapon that could load a non-lethal alternative ammo.

You could also upgrade your vehicle from the Thundercould Morgan ATV to something that a) won't look as out of place in an urban sprawl, b) has an enclosed cab to protect the occupants and c) has more room so you can carry the whole team, your drones and whatever else you need, like extraction targets and stolen cargo. Add a Spoof Chip and Morphing License Plate (at the very least) so that your movements can't be tracked.

And you could get another drone, something made for heavier combat and going indoors. The Steel Lynx is burly and inexpensive, the Crimson Samurai is more burly but slightly more expensive. There are also non-combat drones, like the Evo Orderly for medical support.

Some type of step or panel van is your friend in an urban environment.  Paint it an off white and put a ladder on it.  Had a PC do that to one of his vehicles thought it was genius.

_Pax_

« Reply #22 on: <06-22-12/1149:44> »
Some type of step or panel van is your friend in an urban environment.  Paint it an off white and put a ladder on it.  Had a PC do that to one of his vehicles thought it was genius.
Ruthenium Coat is even better.  Then you can shift the color, add corporate logos, fake or real, etc.

I did that once, back in 2E or 3E ... without any of the sensors typically used for a ruthenium cloak.  GM thought I was nuts, until I explained why I was doing it.  Then he thought I was a genius.  :)

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #23 on: <06-22-12/1707:17> »
If you have the funds, a Bulldog with Chameleon Coating is definitely a great way to get your vehicle to slip by unnoticed. Even with my heavily armored one (Armor 20), I'd have it display corporate logos and colors when it wasn't stealthed. The spoof chip and morphing plate definitely help with that.

For drones, I go with a mix of air and ground. The Steel Lynx is a perennial favorite, especially if you upgrade the armor. The drones out of MilSpec Tech are fun, too. I've never used the Samurai, but it is a nice package.

Oh, and at the very least slap a defense autosoft on the drones that don't already have it. When working autonomously, that helps a lot.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

ArkangelWinter

• Omae
  • A thing need not exist to be real
« Reply #24 on: <06-22-12/1757:56> »
For drones, LEBD-1 (sniper rifle) is my personal air favorite, with some of the anti-drone fliers from Arsenal (the name escapes me). A properly outfitted family car of any kind is even less conspicuous than a work van.
« Last Edit: <06-22-12/2211:55> by ArkangelWinter »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #25 on: <06-22-12/2141:22> »
Indeed, the sedan in SOTA '73, with some concealed armor, and possibly a pop-up turret, would be the ideal way to not be noticed. Except in a factory district. Or very rural areas.

Problem is, they don't accommodate trolls (or people in heavy armor) very well. The cab in SOTA '73 is a good choice for any urban environment. Even an obviously armored one could be easily explained, especially in areas with a reasonably high crime rate.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #26 on: <06-22-12/2233:30> »
A properly outfitted family car of any kind is even less conspicuous than a work van.
The amount you can do with the Station Wagon from PDF-Only SOTA scares me!
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11