NEWS

[SR5] Howling Shadows

• 113 Replies

Beta

• Ace Runner
  • SR1 player, SR5 GM@FtF & player@PbP
« Reply #90 on: <06-02-16/1017:04> »
No discussion about the critters themselves?

Honestly, I'm still figuring out what some of them are supposed to look like/which unawakened animal they are descended from.
A little text to that effect would have helped tremendously.

Agreed!

I mean, the little 'aha' moments when I figure one out are nice, but I feel like some of the descriptions were written for people who knew stuff from previous editions and just wanted the latest stats.  When I'm next reading I should not down the ones I'm still not sure about, and ask.

On a different slant, I liked the creativity in new mentor spirits.  Interesting that horse adepts get no magical benefit at creation, just access to a metamagic that only they can buy.  I think I would have gone with "initiate level times a day" rather than a fixed three times, but that is a quibble. 

Prime Mover

• Omae
  • Prime Runners need Prime Fixers
« Reply #91 on: <06-02-16/1112:33> »
I think it's a testament to the content that most of the complaints seem fairly tame and personally focused. For me I was pretty happy with the depth we got. (Personal nitpick, wished could have gotten option for return of shifter powers even if for just npc's)
Why do things happen the way they happen? For
all I know the world Is Just one big game and all of
our actions are determined by the roll of a die.
-  Dunkelzahn,  Great-Dragon

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #92 on: <06-02-16/1449:35> »
(Personal nitpick, wished could have gotten option for return of shifter powers even if for just npc's)
Just for personal clarity, can you be a tad more specific?
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Prime Mover

• Omae
« Reply #93 on: <06-02-16/1558:27> »
Dual nature, Regen and vulnerabilities are missing from shifter rules in 5th Ed.  I know there's been a lot of debate over it.  Have reoccurring antagonist, been around my games for several editions.  I've just house ruled standard abilities back in that case, so not end of the world.

Prime Mover

• Omae
« Reply #94 on: <06-02-16/1606:24> »
A lot of the abilities and stats seem to be more balanced towards being a challenge rather then just cannon fodder.

Crimsondude

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
« Reply #95 on: <06-02-16/1644:31> »
The in-character drake text seems inconsistent with previous material.

There's a drake in Clutch who is so powerful that an Adult Dragon pledged their loyalty to him.
« Last Edit: <06-02-16/1646:09> by Crimsondude »

DeathStrobe

• Omae
  • Front Range Free Decker
« Reply #96 on: <06-03-16/2347:43> »
Technocritters are unplayable as written.

Basically their limits make them incapable of doing anything, like say a snake with 0 logic, so 0 data processing, so can't even make a Matrix Perception test, or worse, a dice pool of 10 in cybercombat, which is pretty respectable, but a limit of 1 and only able to do 1 damage with their 1 hit. Meaning at most an Ahi can do 2 damage, and only if it's lucky enough for the target to not get any hits. As a single hit avoids the damage altogether. And let's say they're able to thread infuse attack, with 5 dice, that means they'll only get 1 or if lucky 2 hits, giving them attack 2 or 3, and giving them -2 to sustain the complex form.

And all of them suffer from this in one way or another.

I honestly think the biggest problem with the Matrix is that decks are just too good. Like I can live with really crappy limits for technocritters and technomancers if only decks weren't able to get limits in the 6 to 9 range relatively easily at chargen. And it doesn't help that Matrix stats aren't just used for limits, but also double as DV for matrix attacks, dice pool for resisting being seen, and add bonus init to VR.

ScytheKnight

• Ace Runner
« Reply #97 on: <06-05-16/0134:09> »
I feel like some of the descriptions were written for people who knew stuff from previous editions and just wanted the latest stats.  .

Agreed, I've finally had to come to the conclusion that this is CGLs vision for 5th Edition, updated rules for the veterans... if you're not? Too bad, go buy our previous edition books so you'll ahve some idea what we're talking about.

Howling Shadows was the end of my Shadowrun game, I've had enough of being treated like a 4th class customer (1st class played previous editions and read German, 2nd class played previous editions, 3rd class are new but read German).
From To<<Matrix message>>
"Speech"
Thoughts
Astral
Mentor

Li7hium

• Newb
« Reply #98 on: <06-17-16/0104:23> »
Anyone know if the physical book is at Origins?

BrysenBlue

• Newb
« Reply #99 on: <06-17-16/1520:03> »
From Tumblr, the cover art, by Victor Moreno:

What the frag are those?  :o

Maritchoras, I believe.

Patrick Goodman

• Errata Team
  • Ace Runner
  • Fixing the fixless since 2016
« Reply #100 on: <06-17-16/1531:44> »
Books have been spotted at Origins. Those are martichoras, yes.
Former Shadowrun Errata Coordinator

Prime Mover

• Omae
« Reply #101 on: <06-24-16/2006:45> »

Mirikon

• Prime Runner
  • "Everybody lies." --House
« Reply #102 on: <06-27-16/1156:30> »
Technocritters are unplayable as written.

Basically their limits make them incapable of doing anything, like say a snake with 0 logic, so 0 data processing, so can't even make a Matrix Perception test, or worse, a dice pool of 10 in cybercombat, which is pretty respectable, but a limit of 1 and only able to do 1 damage with their 1 hit. Meaning at most an Ahi can do 2 damage, and only if it's lucky enough for the target to not get any hits. As a single hit avoids the damage altogether. And let's say they're able to thread infuse attack, with 5 dice, that means they'll only get 1 or if lucky 2 hits, giving them attack 2 or 3, and giving them -2 to sustain the complex form.

And all of them suffer from this in one way or another.

I honestly think the biggest problem with the Matrix is that decks are just too good. Like I can live with really crappy limits for technocritters and technomancers if only decks weren't able to get limits in the 6 to 9 range relatively easily at chargen. And it doesn't help that Matrix stats aren't just used for limits, but also double as DV for matrix attacks, dice pool for resisting being seen, and add bonus init to VR.

Par for the course. They've consistently and thoroughly shat upon anything to do with the Emerged this entire edition. The problems are so systemic that I don't know if they can be fixed without tearing the whole thing down and doing a ground up rewrite of Technomancers and Technocritters so that they can actually not suck as anything other than a pet class. And yes, I said class. While not technically a class system, SR5 has stomped down hard on diversification and people trying to pick up multiple roles, especially in the Matrix arena, so that they are de facto classes.
Greataxe - Apply directly to source of problem, repeat as needed.

My Characters

Blue Rose

• Omae
« Reply #103 on: <06-27-16/2019:35> »
Make technocritters' matrix attributes and corresponding mental stats based off of resonance instead of an animal-level mental stat and you're good to go.

&#24525;

« Reply #104 on: <06-30-16/0140:47> »
Make technocritters' matrix attributes and corresponding mental stats based off of resonance instead of an animal-level mental stat and you're good to go.
Um, what? Could you provide an example please?