NEWS

[5e OOC] Tabula Rasa, Chapters II and III

• 2014 Replies

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #1995 on: <05-18-15/0654:37> »
Dual-Natured: Sam can now see the Astral, although it probably confuses the shit out of him. He can learn Assensing.

Does this mean he can't NOT astrally perceive? And if he can't turn it off, does he just get the -2 on physical actions for being distracted forever now? If so, that's -3 on all Sam's combat pools, including the lost agility.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #1996 on: <05-18-15/1246:40> »
I just want to say that I'm excited about these recent developments.

While Sam is fighting the disease, Ace is going to be pretty agitated.  This is well outside his realm of expertise, and waiting to see if the man he has just come to grips with as a "friend" fight for his life in that manner is going to make him feel pretty powerless.

Just to keep himself active, Ace is going to want to revisit the scene of the attack in the morning, while on a perimeter check with one or two others -- Chino will want to go too.  I imagine that the corpses will be frozen solid by then, but Ace is also going to want to see if they're still invisible.  If they are, how difficult would it be to get one back to camp?  At some point he's going to want to feed Katsina, and as loathe as he'll be to leave Sam's side, he knows that they need to get the pic to DIMR, so he'll want to make plans to that effect, though he may lean toward holding back for a few days.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #1997 on: <05-18-15/1331:48> »
Dual-Natured: Sam can now see the Astral, although it probably confuses the shit out of him. He can learn Assensing.

Does this mean he can't NOT astrally perceive? And if he can't turn it off, does he just get the -2 on physical actions for being distracted forever now? If so, that's -3 on all Sam's combat pools, including the lost agility.

It would make sense that there is an adjustment period while getting used to always astrally perceiving where the penalty might apply, but ultimately you astral perceive without penalty to physical actions as you get used to always doing so. You cannot turn it off - it is both a blessing and a curse.
Speech Thought Matrix/Text Astral

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1998 on: <05-18-15/1428:57> »
Yes, being dual-natured means you can't turn it off. Sam will always be assensing, which means that there will be some vulnerabilities until Sam can learn counterspelling and/or astral combat. He'll want to stick around Ohanzee and Katsina until then.

As for the negative modifier while assensing, the rules say that it does not apply to dual-natured characters (p.395 of SR5). Sam will also have Katsina to coach him on being dual-natured, which will help.

We'll apply the negative modifier for the first day or two of Sam's new consciousness, maybe reducing it by 1 each day until it is 0.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #1999 on: <05-18-15/1546:03> »
New IC post is up. People are free to post what they're doing over the next 8-10 hours or so. You can extend your post into the next day if you like, or we can do another round for those separately.

For the record, and more for behind-the-scenes bookkeeping purposes, the nanites would have provided additional dice during the Disease Resistance Tests but were counteracted by HMHVV's Penetration (i.e. AP) of -3. Doc would likely witness this and could reasonably conclude that his increased nanite levels (~10) would make it much harder for him to become Infected compared to the rest of the group.

Poindexter

• Prime Runner
  • If you lack empathy, you are worthless.
« Reply #2000 on: <05-18-15/1741:29> »
I feel it should be noted that as of right now, Ace and Ohanzee are the only ones who know what Sam has done with the burners, although Chino knows about the plan and advised against it.
"speaking out loud"
<<matrix actions/communication>>
thought
astral
subvocal/whispering
non-english

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #2001 on: <05-19-15/1234:36> »
Sorry for the delay with my IC post.  It may be a bit longer.  If we need to move on IC, I'll catch up in my next one.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2002 on: <05-19-15/1341:52> »
We can slow down a bit. I have a busy week ahead of me at work and I'll be traveling Friday to Sunday.

We might be getting to a chapter break soon. I could hardly believe it when I checked yesterday but we're three months into Chapter 3. Chapters 1 and 2 each lasted three months, and Sam's transformation offers us a good transition spot, so it's probably time. Unless we get derailed I imagine Chapter 4 will be the finale.

I'll try to reread Chapter III over the weekend for karma purposes. Get your masterpiece posts in before then because who knows when (or if) we will do karma again.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2003 on: <05-20-15/2009:46> »
Doc can do little at this point other than keep Sam warm and hydrated. He keeps watch until fatigue overtakes him, then joins Ace and turns in.
Damn, I was in the middle of writing my post when Tec put that in.  Want me to change mine?
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #2004 on: <05-20-15/2048:05> »
Same here, and I have Doc as up all night as well, so I say keep it, but I left it vague enough that he can certainly sneak off for some z's without Ohanzee noticing.

I've also set a rough time for Sam to wake up (the following evening) that gives him some RP time before the transformation is complete (he'll still be nauseous, but conscious). I can change any of that if it doesn't fit in with Tec's narrative.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2005 on: <05-21-15/0127:13> »
@Zweiblumen
No, yours is better. I'll take mine out. I only included it because we hadn't heard from you in a few days and I didn't know if you were going to post again before time advanced.

@Malevolence
Let's pull back on the last two sentences of your post. I want to give people a chance to post what they're doing during the day. Rednblack expressed an interest in returning to the scene of the fight, for example.

Originally I was thinking that people might want to go into town but if people feel that their PCs would stick close to camp until Sam wakes up then we can fast forward through the day fairly quickly.

@All
It's now morning. Go ahead and post what you're up to for the day prior to Sam waking up. I'm about half-way through karma. I'll be traveling for a few days so I imagine having Sam wake up (and starting Chapter 4) early next week.

Question: Does anyone know if having a Magic attribute automatically implies that you are an adept, magician, or mystic adept? Is it possible for a sapient critter to be Awakened (and not burned out, i.e. Magic 1+) but not be one of the above? I don't know if Sam is automatically one of those simply because he has a point of Magic now. He could be a magician with no spells and no skills, but I didn't know if it was automatic. I'm inclined to think that it is but I figured I'd bounce it off the other GMs and lawyers.

Zweiblumen

• Ace Runner
« Reply #2006 on: <05-21-15/0156:00> »
Sorry, time is flying for me right now. Didn't realize it had been a few days already. I'll be sure to post more often.

As for the magic rating, it does not convey skills, just powers the inate abilities. I read somewhere on these boards about salient snot being awakened, just being magical.  For them to raise their magic above 1 they must "awaken" and then spend karma.  It does however prevent them from emerging or using resonance. There's a section in run faster about infected and resonance being incompatible, and the infection winning.
Speech, Thoughts, Comm/Text, Subvocal

rednblack

• Prime Runner
  • TECH-NO-LOGIC-KILL
« Reply #2007 on: <05-21-15/1342:25> »
Chino's Tracking: Tracking: 6d6t5 3

How's Ace's Memory: Memory Test: 7d6t5 3

Ace's Perception: Perception + Specifically Looking: 12d6t5 5

I feel pretty good about those.
Speech
Thought
Matrix/Comm
Astral
Subvocal

Malevolence

• Ace Runner
  • Matrix Addict
« Reply #2008 on: <05-21-15/1403:01> »
Question: Does anyone know if having a Magic attribute automatically implies that you are an adept, magician, or mystic adept? Is it possible for a sapient critter to be Awakened (and not burned out, i.e. Magic 1+) but not be one of the above? I don't know if Sam is automatically one of those simply because he has a point of Magic now. He could be a magician with no spells and no skills, but I didn't know if it was automatic. I'm inclined to think that it is but I figured I'd bounce it off the other GMs and lawyers.
From Run Faster p 141:

The Infected are, by definition, Awakened and have a Magic Rating, though not all are necessarily magicians or adepts. Most of their powers are magical in nature. Should their Magic Rating ever be reduced to 0, either temporarily or permanently, they lose the use of any of their powers except for Armor, any Enhanced Senses, and Natural Weapons.
So I'd say no, he just has a Magic attribute to use for determining things like the strength of his Corrosive Secretions and Magical Guard. I would rule that it would allow him to purchase the Magician, Adept, or Mystical Adept quality post chargen - something that is normally not allowed to my knowledge. So, if he wants to become a PhysAd he could do so with 40 karma, or just 20 if we choose not to double the point cost of those qualities post chargen.

I also removed the last two lines from my prior post, giving the opportunity to role play those things.

Tecumseh

• Prime Runner
« Reply #2009 on: <05-21-15/1404:52> »
Yeah, you're not going to have any problem finding your way back to the site. You find the bodies, which have been frozen into corpsicles overnight.

You're in a winter wonderland. The snow has stopped and there's even some sun out today. Most things are hibernating. Ohanzee and Chino do see quite a few free spirits. Air (wind), Water (snow), Earth (mountain). They're generally playing or cruising around or doing whatever spirits do in their free time. Occasionally they glance at you, and maybe eyeball the Awakened members, but generally keep their distance and don't give you any trouble. Chino pounds his fists and wants to know if any of them are looking for a fight. Chino evidently is.

Doc can get samples from the corpses and confirm that they were bandersnatchii. There are bounties for these in the UCAS ( ¥7,500) and CAS (¥5,000) but not in the PCC, unless these three were specifically wanted for some reason.

@Mal, thanks for the reference. That's exactly what I was looking for.

I've got a firestorm at work today which will extend to next week so I'm not going to do an IC post for the above. Feel free to RP it out as you see fit. Let me know if you have questions or things you're looking for and I'll fill in the gaps OOCly.