Shadowrun Missions Living Campaign > Living Campaign Discussion

May I Suggest Cribbing From Pathfinder Society

<< < (3/3)

Bull:
Buying gear at the table is something that's generally done at the cons, usually, provided there is time for the GM to witness the rolls and sign off on it.  The Downtime Rules are designed for things that happen between adventures, when there is no GM available.  And you have no guarantee that at the end of the adventure, you'll have the time to do the dice rolls for the GM.  So players shouldn't discount those rules altogether, or they may end up stuck waiting several adventures before it's possible to get a GM to handle those things.  The rules are really all that clear about it, one way or another, but that's how we've done it the last few years.

That said, I will make it a point to clarify that for Season 4's FAQ.  But, I'll also make sure to point out that a GM is under no obligation to let you hunt for equipment either, if he doesn't have the time.  I will also make sure to note it has to be done at the end of an adventure, so you don't risk wasting actual game time hunting for gear. 

Also, for people worried about down time searching for gear and the rules for using contacts...  I suspect a lot of people aren't using Street Cred and Loyalty dice bonuses.  Those help out a LOT. :)

Bull

Spanner:

--- Quote from: Bull on ---Buying gear at the table is something that's generally done at the cons, usually, provided there is time for the GM to witness the rolls and sign off on it.  The Downtime Rules are designed for things that happen between adventures, when there is no GM available.  And you have no guarantee that at the end of the adventure, you'll have the time to do the dice rolls for the GM.  So players shouldn't discount those rules altogether, or they may end up stuck waiting several adventures before it's possible to get a GM to handle those things.  The rules are really all that clear about it, one way or another, but that's how we've done it the last few years.

That said, I will make it a point to clarify that for Season 4's FAQ.  But, I'll also make sure to point out that a GM is under no obligation to let you hunt for equipment either, if he doesn't have the time.  I will also make sure to note it has to be done at the end of an adventure, so you don't risk wasting actual game time hunting for gear. 

Also, for people worried about down time searching for gear and the rules for using contacts...  I suspect a lot of people aren't using Street Cred and Loyalty dice bonuses.  Those help out a LOT. :)

Bull
--- End quote ---

Well, your predecessor made it VERY clear that purchasing gear was to be done ONLY during down time as per the rules in the FAQ. That was a decision I don't think anyone agreed with so I thank you for this OFFICIAL lessening of the restriction for all the Missions players out there.

Also, I believe you mean Street Cred and Connection dice bonuses.

Bull:
Loyalty, SR4A, pp. 285-286

--- Quote ---The Loyalty rating is usually applied as bonus dice whenever the character is negotiating with the contact.
--- End quote ---

Any time you're looking for gear, the Loyalty Rating applies, IMO.  It represents that the contact will look a little extra hard for an item for you, bug his contacts a little more often, etc. due to his loyalty and/or friendship with you.

Yes, this makes Faces even more annoying.  But, it also means that characters that don't have a face available to them (Or whose face is booked solid for the next 4 months) have a better chance at getting gear on their own.

Bull

KarmaInferno:
I always viewed it as:

Connection adds to the CONTACT's dice pool when he is negotiating with third parties.

Loyalty adds to the PLAYER CHARACTER's dice pool when negotiating with the contact.

Bull:
Right, but technically, you're negotiating with the contact to get you that item, even if he's going through third parties.  It doesn't really specify, so I'm ruling it that way for Season 4.  Like I said, it'll help out a little for folks that are trying to get items through their contacts, rather than always relying on a face to do all the work.

Bull

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version