Shadowrun Missions Living Campaign > Living Campaign Discussion

Missions Season 4 - Seattle

<< < (5/7) > >>

Wasabi:
"I'd be a model train enthusiast if I wanted to be on rails."

This, lol!

Bull:

--- Quote ---I'd also add that since you are taking your character form convention to convention unless the gear is basically just handed back to you at the end of the adventure nothing should be taken off screen.  Heck I hate all off screen things anyways.  Wait what I just walked into an ambush, got knocked out, dropped in a room and am wearing a hospital gown?  If you lose your 40 karma investment power focus in game, so be it, but losing it per GM fiat off screen is just bad design.  I might just pick up my character and leave the convention table.  There are games out there where I might actually have fun, I'd be a model train enthusiast if I wanted to be on rails.  Somehow I suspect the goal of convention games is not to piss off the players so they don't want to play.
--- End quote ---

Oh, no, you should definitely get all of your gear back in the adventure itself.  And preferably pretty quickly.  Shy of things actually happening through gameplay (Stuff gets broken, lost, whatever), you should never have anything just flat out taken away from you permanently.

And hey, all games are on rails.  :)  Some just hide it a little better.  But if there is any kind of plan and story, the game's on rails.  :)

Shinobi Killfist:

--- Quote from: Bull on ---
--- Quote ---I'd also add that since you are taking your character form convention to convention unless the gear is basically just handed back to you at the end of the adventure nothing should be taken off screen.  Heck I hate all off screen things anyways.  Wait what I just walked into an ambush, got knocked out, dropped in a room and am wearing a hospital gown?  If you lose your 40 karma investment power focus in game, so be it, but losing it per GM fiat off screen is just bad design.  I might just pick up my character and leave the convention table.  There are games out there where I might actually have fun, I'd be a model train enthusiast if I wanted to be on rails.  Somehow I suspect the goal of convention games is not to piss off the players so they don't want to play.
--- End quote ---

Oh, no, you should definitely get all of your gear back in the adventure itself.  And preferably pretty quickly.  Shy of things actually happening through gameplay (Stuff gets broken, lost, whatever), you should never have anything just flat out taken away from you permanently.

And hey, all games are on rails.  :)  Some just hide it a little better.  But if there is any kind of plan and story, the game's on rails.  :)

--- End quote ---

Well sure every game has some rails.  But games that start you naked in a room with a bad frame up mean you aren't just on rails, you on on the train and it left the station an hour before play started.  As long as there are enough alternate tracks it isn't an issue, but once you remove the ability to switch tracks it stopped being an RPG and became the story telling circle. 

Bull:
Look at it as a challenge.  It's a roleplay challenge, it's a physical challenge.  Games should challenge both your characters and you as a player.  I know some of the most fun games I've ever played in usually involved bad things happening to my character, because the fun part if fighting my way out of it, overcoming it.  Characters should be more than a sum of their gear.

Like I said, we'll minimize stuff like this, because it's not always handled well, and it's not always that much fun for every player, but I wouldn't count on never seeing it again, because like I said, I think adventures should present a challenge in more ways than just the usual "Beat up the bad guys" and "find the right path to the end". 

Bull

Bull:
Also, this wasn't played up as well as it should have been, because of Missions wonky release schedule to this point, and the fact that when this eyars cons were planned, 03-12 wasn't the final New York Mission.  The idea behind it was something big, something kind of over the top, and something a little different. 

(And like I said, I defend the idea to do 03-12 this way because I think it was an interesting idea, and I think that Missions players sometimes get a bit complacent.  Coming on the heels of 03-09 (or possibly even being played right before or after 03-09's original IMR opener as well) was poor timing, unfortunately.  And while I defend it, it wasn't my choice to do the adventure this way.  It was plotted and the first draft written well before I got involved, and changing it would have involved completely redoing a large portion of the adventure, so...  It stayed.)

Bull

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version