NEWS

Can Dragons Get Cyberware?

• 48 Replies

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
  • Spouter of Random Words
« Reply #15 on: <08-01-11/0013:32> »
OK, what about Dragon that was born after Crash 2.0 that grew up to be a Technomancer? Is that possible?
Nope.  Magic and Resonance don't mix.

And Dragons are instinctively magical, it's part of their very nature.  That's how they're able to race bullet trains in Japan without wings.  ;D
Si vis pacem, para bellum

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
  • Armor Stacking Cheese Monkey
« Reply #16 on: <08-01-11/0013:47> »
I'm not certain there HAVE been any dragon births in all of SR history.

All the ones featured so far have all been pretty darn old.

As in, the ones who are a few thousand years of age, those are the youngsters of the dragon set.

-k

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #17 on: <08-01-11/0015:02> »
There's been dragon EGGS found...

Read "Never Trust An Elf" for the details on that.  And why you pick your fights carefully.

And never, ever slot with the Bot'Kham!!!

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Critias

• Freelancer
  • Prime Runner
  • Company Elf
« Reply #18 on: <08-01-11/0028:24> »
OK, what about Dragon that was born after Crash 2.0 that grew up to be a Technomancer? Is that possible?
Nope, unless you choose to hack the setting a bit and have some fun with houserules.

(1) There's no sign that new dragons have been born that recently, IIRC.  Remember, it was just 2065 that the Crash 2.0 happened.  Humans born since then aren't of Shadowrunner-age yet, much less dragons.

(2)  Nothing with a Magic score can have a Resonance score.

On a related note, how long does it take for Dragons to mature?
Probably a while, given their lifespan.

JimJungle

• Chummer
  • I Keep My Ham Sliding...
« Reply #19 on: <08-01-11/0035:08> »
OK, forget the dragon, are there other sentient non-metas that could be TMs? Like a sasquatch. Or a CyberSquatch. That would be wicked.

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #20 on: <08-01-11/0037:26> »
OK, forget the dragon, are there other sentient non-metas that could be TMs? Like a sasquatch. Or a CyberSquatch. That would be wicked.
If they aren't naturally magical to begin with, then it might be possible, yes.

They can, however, accept cybernetics (At the usual penalties) if said cybernetics are modified for their bodies.  There's talk of a Pixie with a Datajack, IIRC.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Red Canti

• Omae
  • Hybrid Rainbow
« Reply #21 on: <08-01-11/0143:01> »
OK, forget the dragon, are there other sentient non-metas that could be TMs? Like a sasquatch.
Sweet Christmas.
"Always Trust Mr. Johnson, always. Just make sure he knows he'd regret betraying that trust."

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #22 on: <08-01-11/0402:26> »
Yeah, most of the Magically Active critters have at least one point of Magic, and as such they cannot be Technomancers.

There are Resonant creatures, though. That cat you see lounging in front of the local Stuffer Shack node? Might actually be a cat.

-k

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #23 on: <08-01-11/0646:46> »
Wait, how does cyber and those one point of magic creatures work? The dual natured ones. I always went with if their essence dropped below one, they lost their dual-natured-ness. Please tell me that it isn't if they lose one point of essence, they lose their dual-natured-ness. Or I have to redesign a ghoul...
"Remember, you can't have manslaughter without laughter."

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #24 on: <08-01-11/0957:05> »
Wait, how does cyber and those one point of magic creatures work? The dual natured ones. I always went with if their essence dropped below one, they lost their dual-natured-ness. Please tell me that it isn't if they lose one point of essence, they lose their dual-natured-ness. Or I have to redesign a ghoul...
Typically those with cybernetics have boosted their magic rating, otherwise, they lose their dual-natured-ness, and die as they're magical creatures and need that magic level to survive, IIRC.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Stahlseele

• Omae
  • Elfen haben doofe Ohren.
« Reply #25 on: <08-01-11/0959:17> »
ghouls don't need dual natured to survive . . if they get cyber-eyes at least . .
"In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it." - Field Marshall Erwin Rommel
"In a free society, diversity is not disorder. Debate is not strife. And dissent is not revolution." - George W. Bush

KarmaInferno

• Ace Runner
« Reply #26 on: <08-01-11/1000:38> »
If it's got Magic points it loses Magic if Essence is lost, same as for any other creature.

Unless Infected have some special exception I'm not aware of, if you want to retain any Magic based abilities you have to buy the Magic attribute up high enough to offset any Essence losses.

I know magically active Vampires have this vicious cycle of having to increase their Magic attribute over and over just to stay ahead of their constant Essence loss.

-k

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #27 on: <08-01-11/1020:35> »
Hmm... Just have to remember to make the cyber installation BEFORE the infection in the background story... And remember to buy up that point of magic before installing any more, so they have the point to lose... Would really suck just throwing that much karma down the crapper though. And it looks like those infected with essence loss don't lose magic when their essence drops from essence loss. But, installing cyber does make them lose the magic... Weird. But, anyway, back to OP, and how this relates, even the lowly ghouls lose their special spark when just a smidge of cyber is installed. Can't imagine a dragon being able to handle cyber well. Heck, even Unckie Dunkie didn't try, and he was all about being modern.

"If violence begat violence, in every case, every human on the planet would instantly devolve into gibbering murderers in a day."

CanRay

• Freelancer
  • Mr. Johnson
« Reply #28 on: <08-01-11/1036:56> »
Dragons cheat, however.  They just ride shotgun in someone else's head while THEY'RE in the Matrix.

#ThisTaserGoesTo11

Lacynth40

• Omae
  • Savaging the average.
« Reply #29 on: <08-01-11/1040:48> »
Or a 20XL trode net... Does the same thing if I remember right...